Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2016, 09:37 PM   #1

*sigh* Rubber bushing on Brembo Brake Assembly

Hey, I've a situation where the rubber bushing got pulled out of the rear brake assembly of our F800GS.

Based on what I can see online, it looks like in order to put the thing back, the whole wheel is going to have to come off, along with the caliper assembly to basically put it in its proper place then the whole thing has to be put back together - is that about the right of it? It's the rubber thingy sticking out below to the left off the rear brake assembly.

Thanks in advance for the guidance.

Old 03-20-2016, 09:41 PM   #2

related to the above: Just how critical is that rubber bushing? Can I ride the bike to a shop to get it "fixed" or am I going to need a tow?

Old 03-21-2016, 06:10 AM   #3

I have never seen that happen before.

Rather than take it to a shop, you can certainly try to fix it yourself. The procedure you described seems reasonable to me.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 03-21-2016, 06:13 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodlandsprite View Post
related to the above: Just how critical is that rubber bushing? Can I ride the bike to a shop to get it "fixed" or am I going to need a tow?
If the brake functions, you should be able to ride the bike cautiously to a shop. The front brake would be more troublesome, since you get at least 70 percent of your stopping power from the front brake.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 03-21-2016, 12:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
I have never seen that happen before.

Rather than take it to a shop, you can certainly try to fix it yourself. The procedure you described seems reasonable to me.
*sigh* lets not get into the how it happened (I didn't do it)

It seems relatively straight forward to "fix" once I get the rear wheel off - it may not be a part of the brake assembly, but may instead be a part of the rear wheel speed sensor setup...not entirely sure, haven't looked at a parts diagram for the bike in question yet.

Is there a trick to opening the gap between the brake pads and the rotor? Based on what I've seen online, it looks like I should be able to push on them to get them to open up giving me more clearance to get the wheel off and back on again....

Old 03-21-2016, 02:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodlandsprite View Post
...Is there a trick to opening the gap between the brake pads and the rotor? Based on what I've seen online, it looks like I should be able to push on them to get them to open up giving me more clearance to get the wheel off and back on again....
After removing the front wheel, insert a large, flat blade screwdriver between the brake pads, and lever the pads apart. I always perform this procedure whenever I remove a wheel. Merely exercise a little care not to gouge the brake pads.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 03-21-2016, 11:11 PM   #7

I use a wide blade pry bar, which spreads the opening load over a larger area. Take the cover off the master cylinder and keep an eye on the level so as to not spill any fluid onto paintwork.

2016 CanAm Spyder F3-L

Old 03-25-2016, 05:30 PM   #8

well then, in case anyone else has this problem
the thing that got yanked out of place is the rubber cover for one of the the rear caliper sliding pins.

BMW part number is 34 21 2 330 312

I finally have a service manual on hand for that bike - but since it needs a new rear tire, and I had to order the part, it's going to the shop (I wasn't feeling really comfortable with messing with the brake caliper). The old rubber cover was kind of put back - the baffle that would be closest to the base of the sliding pin was removed to shove it back in place so it provides some amount of coverage/protection in the meantime.