Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2016, 01:38 PM   #1

Moab in October?

I will be 4-wheeling in Moab on October 17, 18, and 19.
Anyone want to do some dual-sport riding around Moab on October 20, 21, 22?
I have previously ridden many of the roads and trails around Moab. This year I want to ride the White Rim Trail on one of the days.

The unpaved back roads are constantly rough. There are long stretches of exposed rock.
I have a 2016 RX3 with the 19-inch front wheel - but a stock 18-inch would be fine IF you also have knobbies and a skid plate. There are enough sandy stretches that I would NOT recommend the stock "dual -sport tires". (As you can see from the picture above, if it rains all bets are off!)
I am open to trail suggestions. Who is interested?

2016 RX3, 19-inch front wheel, knobbies, skid plate, LED headlight, 2015 handlebars with hand guards, and ready for real ADV riding!
2015 Honda NC700XD

Old 08-29-2016, 01:42 PM   #2

Moab

I should have mentioned - obviously - any TT250 riders would be right at home on any of these trails.
In either case, you should be prepared for a long day of riding and also be equipped to handle minor repairs including flat tires.
This is NOT a guided or supported ride.
Everyone would be responsible for their own meals and lodging.

2016 RX3, 19-inch front wheel, knobbies, skid plate, LED headlight, 2015 handlebars with hand guards, and ready for real ADV riding!
2015 Honda NC700XD

Old 08-29-2016, 04:01 PM   #3

Irate ahhh, moab:)

back in 89 my dodge 4x4 cummins was built by Chrysler specifically for me to take to Moab to show Ford and Chevy "HOW IT WAS DONE" When the magazine guys saw it, they christened it "DODGEZILLA" . There's a picture on the cover of one of the off roading mags of her with me standing on the hood on the top of the imperial dunes surrounded by a gaggle of paddlewheeled, fuel injected and blower ladened jeeps taken a few months later No one could remember anyone EVER getting a truck up there -"Too BIG, too damned heavy for the sand" In fact, she may have been the first.

Hell of a trip to moab that year tho, there used to be a rock slab trail there up a thing called 'Lionsback' which is what it looked like. dangerous as hell climbing that fin if you didn't know your stuff. The year before, I was two cars behind a cj5 crawling up that thing like at train of catepillars. the cj driver missed an indentation and the jeep reared up like a wild mustang coming right over on its back sliding back down the rock face.. There was NO place on that rock to hide, cliffs on either side, 80 maybe a hundred ft on one side, little less than that on the other, most of it less than two early (cj5's and cj3's) jeeps wide.
Pucker factor was EXTREME!!! fellow started sliding towards the edge,then a Miracle, one bar of his roll cage caught on a small rock bump, spun him around and he started sliding towards the other side. Bout six passenger guys jumped out of their jeeps, ran up and grabbed the slowly moving cj and started throwing winch cables/tow straps whatever they had handy to get the guy stopped. Driver was frozen white hanging upside down in his four point harness with the injected motor still turning, gas everywhere. Battery cables were cut, fellow dragged to safety, and the cj secured. Then we got the hell off the rock, was gas Everywhere which made the 'slickrock' REALLY FRIGGin SLICK!!
That night, we all sat around discussing how much would've been bet that the guy would've bought it and figguring out how the hell to get that cj down off of there. A few drinks and a lot of jawboning, and it was finally decided.
The next morning a crew of us went up to get it. Snaked a few jeeps up the hill behind it, (no small feat itself), stablized it with a few below and then we rolled it over with winches, and dead sticked it back down the fin. Been a while but I *think* the cj owner had the cojones to deadstick his own vehicle back down while tethered to a bunch of inline strapped/winched together jeeps. Took most of the day.
Sometime later the park service closed Lionsback to vehicles of any kind.
Gotta tell you, i was the second vehicle below that guy (and on the really narrow part of the fin) when the cj reared up and over. All I could visualize was him plowing in to the guy in front of me and all three of us going over the cliff. NOT a good picture.
Even had a few nightmares bout that for some months later. God only knows how the driver felt :(
Moab is a beautiful place, but it can be seriously unforgiving. I quit going when the idiot drunks started spring breaking the Easter Safari. Killed some people, got others hurt, incredible vehicle carnage. Oh and yeah, about that MUD!
Seer's First LAW-"FLY THE PLANE!", fail that, and nothing else matters. 12th Law- Consider what marvels you might do if only you had tomorrow to live over again. Third Law-When someone tells you some thing "Can't Be Done", what they're really saying is They can't do it!!14th Law-Just because something "IS", doesn't necessarily mean it SHOULD be.. Eighth Law-The only true personal security is anonymity.Ninth Law-Humans tend to learn very little when speaking.10th Law-Some lives ARE worth taking

Old 08-29-2016, 05:44 PM   #4

This is more than a little tempting. I love Moab but haven't been in quite a while ... and never on a motorcycle. I'll have to check with the family tho.

2015 CSC red RX3 with 19" front wheel, Shinko 804/805, skid plate, tall seat, 13T/45T sprockets, progressive shock, Winyoochanok windshield, GENSSI LED headlight, SW-Motech tankbag, Shorai Lithium battery
2014 Ural Patrol

Old 08-29-2016, 07:12 PM   #5

I'd love to go but no time on my end.

Ive been there on a mountain bike (bucket list thing to go back), including I believe on the very trail pictured.

Highly recommended.

I've not done it on the Suzuki DRZ but would love to someday.

BTW that snot-mud looks terrible. Glad you made it through.

Old 08-29-2016, 07:23 PM   #6

Funny I just noticed the Artic Circle sign in your Avatar.

Is that on the Dalton north of Fairbanks?

If so I have a picture of myself (and Jimmy) at that same sign!

Old 08-30-2016, 02:01 PM   #7

I'm planning a "time-out" trip to the Moab area about that time. I may be interested in joining up for some excursions.
Permits are needed to White Rim Trail these days - too popular.
Onion Creek is a nice ride. Also Hurrah Pass and beyond. Basic dirt skills are enough for both of those.

Old 08-30-2016, 04:07 PM   #8

Never done that before, sounds like a good trip. Count me in if you would.
gary

Old 08-30-2016, 06:54 PM   #9

Yes, you need a permit for day use on White Rim now. It's easy on-line though.

https://www.nps.gov/cany/planyourvis...usepermits.htm

I might be able to bring the TT250 out there in October. I'll keep an eye on this thread.

Cheers,

Dan K.

Dan's Motorcycle Blog - "Lost? I'm not lost. I'm just exploring. . ."

Old 08-31-2016, 07:18 AM   #10

I might be in, pretty much right in my back yard and I haven't done on a moto yet. MTB it a few years ago.

Old 08-31-2016, 09:18 AM   #11

Spoke with the Mrs. about it... and I won't be able to make it.

We would have no sitter or a way to get all the Home Schooling done for the kiddo if I was gone for a week...

Those who go, post up plenty of pics for me please

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 08-31-2016, 09:34 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSC View Post
Never done that before, sounds like a good trip. Count me in if you would.
gary
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3banger View Post
I might be in, pretty much right in my back yard and I haven't done on a moto yet. MTB it a few years ago.
Good to see you Gary and Dave.

Gary, I can't make Sipapu this year. My wife is returning from China the day before I'd have to leave. I didn't think it would be a good idea to take off immediately upon her return.

Hopefully I'll see you guys in Moab.

Cheers,

Dan K.

Dan's Motorcycle Blog - "Lost? I'm not lost. I'm just exploring. . ."

Old 08-31-2016, 10:19 AM   #13

I've done the White Rim Trail twice, once each direction, with my daughter on our Chinese bikes. Great scenery and not a difficult ride except for deep sand on the west side. It was hot, nearly 100 degrees and there isn't much shade.

Don't forget to stop at Mussleman Arch for a pic.

A ride up to the top of the LaSalle Mtns is a good way to escape the heat and the aspens are real nice in the fall. This was at the end of September.

Old 08-31-2016, 11:40 AM   #14

Moab in October. Possible trails.

Definitely need to get a day pass for the White Rim Trail now. It is a formality to get a count of the number of vehicles per day.
I also rode the Onion Creek Road as part of the UTBDR last year - excellent!

The LaSal Mt Loop is on the way to Onion Creek - should be great color that time of year.
May also be able to include a stop at 3 Step Hideaway - a camp that caters to ADV bikers.
If you haven't ridden to Chicken Corners that is worth the trip. Long stretches right along the Colorado River.
Of course, a quick ride through Arches Nat'l Park is a possibility. (It is free if you make a loop and ride in from the north side - although several miles of sand.)

2015 Honda NC700XD

Old 09-10-2016, 10:13 AM   #15

Any other riders going to Moab?

Got my RX3 ready for Moab!

This is a picture down the Shafer Switchbacks and looking into Canyonlands.

I will be riding October 20, 21, and 22 if anyone wants to ride.
Of course, TT250 riders are welcome, too

2015 Honda NC700XD

Tags
moab, utbdr