View Poll Results: KPX250 or Honda XR150
KPX is the better option 4 66.67%
XR is the better option 0 0%
It's a draw 0 0%
Go with the one with dealer support. 2 33.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-24-2024, 07:46 AM   #1

2007 Chinabike quality vs. 2024 Chinabike quality

I bought a Roketa 185 back in about 2007 for $900. It did what I needed it to do but the material quality really put me off. The plastics were particularly bad. Very stiff and brittle. But at $900 you get what you pay for. Never thought I would buy another China bike, but I am considering a Lifan KPX 250. By all accounts it would appear that material quality as a whole has improved but I can only see videos. How do the plastics compare to Japanese dual sports? I can get a brand new Honda XR 150 for the same price. I'm a bit torn as to what to get.

Old 03-24-2024, 08:47 AM   #2

I was really kicking myself the other day for not getting the Templar like Thumper recommended. I love my Hawk, but that Templar X is NICE. I'm trying to enjoy the mechanic-ing, but I always end up pissed beyond belief. I AM enjoying learning about engines and carbs, tho. Dirt bikes just wasn't happening for me as a kid, so I get to do it as an adult.

"If there were more bloody noses, there would be less wars." - Hagbard Celine

"Someday, after mastering the waves, the winds, the tides and gravity, we shall harness for God the energies of love and then, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire." - Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Old 03-24-2024, 10:06 AM   #3

The XR150L is already a Chinabike, basically, despite the NA ones being assembled in Mexico. I would never pay for one via dealership channels with dealership markup and dealership bullshit.

The little XR is a neat bike but it has the same problem as all of Honda's small displacement motorcycles currently in that it is too damn expensive for what it is. Given the choice I would take a KPX any day which should be slightly cheaper, more powerful, have a more capable suspension, fuel injection, etc., etc.

Old 03-24-2024, 12:06 PM   #4

I am a Honda guy, have been since the 70's and even I would (and did) pick a new China bike over the new Honda made in China. The KPX or Templar X are so much more bike than the XR150 and at this point are reasonably well made.
GasGas TXT 125

Old 03-24-2024, 12:30 PM   #5

I’d get the KPX hands down over the XR if the KPX was available in my stupid state.
-2024 CSC TT250, stage 3 motocult kit, Nibbi PE28FL with custom-made cable controlled choke, modified stock muffler (larger diameter tailpipe), custom oil cooler installation with relocated stock evaporative emissions canister, oversized stainless steel footpegs, IMS folding tip shifter, a few little blingy bolts and bits. More personal preference mods to come.

Old 03-24-2024, 12:47 PM   #6

Yah, the old stuff had its drawbacks regarding the brittle plastic and rubber quality. The welds also looked like someone "snot-rocketed" them onto the frame. That said, the engines have always been very reliable. As you said, "You got what you paid for".

2024? IF I was going to buy another new CB, and it was all legal here in CA, I'd say the Templar would probably be it. Reality is though, living here, we still have few options for road legal China bikes. It's why we bought the CSC's.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 03-24-2024, 01:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
Yah, the old stuff had its drawbacks regarding the brittle plastic and rubber quality. The welds also looked like someone "snot-rocketed" them onto the frame. That said, the engines have always been very reliable. As you said, "You got what you paid for".

2024? IF I was going to buy another new CB, and it was all legal here in CA, I'd say the Templar would probably be it. Reality is though, living here, we still have few options for road legal China bikes. It's why we bought the CSC's.
I agree on the quality concerns, except the welds. That is unless you're only referring to welds on older China bikes.

The welds on the frame of my TT250 are some of the nicest looking welds I've seen on a mass produced motorcycle frame (semi-bespoke stuff excluded). That doesn't necessarily speak to their strength, but the welds on my bike are sure pretty for what I assume are robot welds.
-2024 CSC TT250, stage 3 motocult kit, Nibbi PE28FL with custom-made cable controlled choke, modified stock muffler (larger diameter tailpipe), custom oil cooler installation with relocated stock evaporative emissions canister, oversized stainless steel footpegs, IMS folding tip shifter, a few little blingy bolts and bits. More personal preference mods to come.

Old 03-24-2024, 02:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by superjocko View Post
I agree on the quality concerns, except the welds. That is unless you're only referring to welds on older China bikes.

The welds on the frame of my TT250 are some of the nicest looking welds I've seen on a mass produced motorcycle frame (semi-bespoke stuff excluded). That doesn't necessarily speak to their strength, but the welds on my bike are sure pretty for what I assume are robot welds.
Yep, was just talking about the old bikes. My X-Moto welds were UGLY....but never broke. The welds on our old Hensim DB150's were better than the X-Moto, appearance-wise and never gave us problems.....and we thrashed those bikes, camping.
The TT250 we had was a great bike all around.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Tags
kpx250, xr150