Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2014, 03:49 AM   #1

Head Scratching Saga 250 Powerquad insane idle

Hello ChinaRiders, didn't think I would be on here so soon after buying my.....project. Ok so I bought this atv barely running the other day. I let it sit in my shop overnight and trickle charged the battery, put in a new spark plug and cleaned the carb (Deni) the following day. I finally got it started at full choke, then took it off full choke to no choke and it went up to an idle so insanely high and loud that I had to toss on my my earmuffs, and blue flames started coming out my exhaust. It was almost as though I had it on full throttle in neutral, the only way to get it to settle down somewhat was to put on half, 3/4 or full choke, but then it would climb its way up again. The throttle does not seem stuck and if it was it then it shouldn't idle on full choke. Fiddling with the idle screw did not help me much either. Oh PS the carb pisses out fuel through the bottom hose after I shut the bike off. The carb looked pretty clean to begin with. Thanks for any and all help.

Old 06-09-2014, 07:53 AM   #2

I've had an issue similar to that due to the throttle cable being too tight. I would play with the throttle with the quad off to see if you hear the slide seating properly, mine was revving high the whole time though not just when the choke comes off. Take off your air filter to see if the choke is working properly and back off your fuel/ air screw to 2 turns out. If the slack in you throttle cable is correct and both the slide and choke are moving properly I'm beat. I'm not sure if an air leak in the carb would cause the crazy revving but it sounds like your set up way too lean.

Old 06-09-2014, 10:48 AM   #3

high rev

sounds like the cable is stuck... or when you put the top back on... the plunger was not lined up to seat properly in the bore... check to see if it is down all the way in the tube..... I had once that the throttle cable was tied up and pulling on it

Old 06-09-2014, 10:59 AM   #4

My guess is that the slider is in backwards.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-09-2014, 03:30 PM   #5

Rookie mistake, I put the slide in backwards, however the bike fired up way easier and ran way longer when the slide was backwards. I also fouled my new plug, as far as I can tell I have 2 adjustments, idle screw and a screw under the intake manifold, which I am assuming is the fuel screw. So if I already fouled my new plug, then I must be running too rich? Or could it be that idle setting is too high or too low causing me to fowl? Also if I turn the fuel screw clockwise, I should have a leaner running bike in terms of fuel to air which should help with the plugs fouling? Total noob here coming off a mid 90's Honda CR125 , never had to break that baby down once in the 3 years I owned it.

Old 06-10-2014, 01:51 AM   #6

adjustment

look on YOUTUBE For a video on carb adjustment... or WELDGRIND might have had a sticky to show this.. usually the air screw is about 1 1/2 - 2 turns out.. and then fine turn from there.. in is richer... out is leaner... adjust once warm and choke is off

Old 06-10-2014, 11:09 AM   #7

Codester95, you'll be pleasantly surprised to find that plugs in four stroke engines rarely foul. You certainly can have a plug fail, but it's rather rare.

The pilot mixture screw under the carb outlet is only responsible for the tip-in transition from idle to main. As you back that screw out, you will add more fuel. If you need to back the screw out more than two turns, the idle jet is too small.

I've found it to be difficult to find replacement jets for the Keihin clone carbs, because there are a few different designs floating around out there. I like the 30mm Mikuni that is cheap and plentiful on eBay, because the castings are excellent and jets are also cheap and plentiful.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Tags
250cc, atv, carburetor, idle, saga