Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2014, 08:52 PM   #1

Wiring upgrade.

Hey guys, so my beast has been an ongoing improvement project for me which I have quite enjoyed so far. I recently had the bright idea to fix the nasty web of spliced and tangled wires that were once the wire harness. The quad has never run better and I know if it ain't broke don't fix it but I couldn't help myself so I looked on ebay and found the harness for $32 delivered so I ordered it.
Http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Wire-Harness-...47be3ab&_uhb=1

Unfortunately the harness I received is not the same as the ad so I'm trying to get them to send me a new one. I have attached a pic of the one I got. as for what's currently on the atv, A bunch of the wire harnesses are removed and wires have been spliced together, I'm guessing this was an effort of the previous owner to use a harness that did not fit. All my components, lights, kill switch, cdi, ignition, voltage regulator all have proper harnesses so a new wire harness should be easy to install.

The problem I'm facing (other than getting the wrong harness) is there are a few component harnesses that need repair or replacing. The two wires that come out of the engine both have harnesses. One red one and a large male 5 pin. I am missing the large one and all the wires are spliced. Is this from the magneto? Is it possible to just get the new male end of the harness and re-attached the wires. Do I need to get a new magneto?,coil?,stator? Or whatever this is coming from. I don't really want to cut the female end off a new harness to splice it together.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (94.0 KB, 166 views)

Old 07-07-2014, 08:54 PM   #2

Here is the harness I got.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (97.3 KB, 166 views)

Old 07-07-2014, 08:55 PM   #3

This is what's coming from the engine
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (89.8 KB, 153 views)

Old 07-08-2014, 01:47 AM   #4

Short of tearing my Beast apart, I don't have the answers for you. I bet that one of the connectors that leads to the stator is actually a shift indicator that is common to the dual sport bikes. If you don't want to splice the wires, then yes, you'd need a new stator. Perhaps you'd prefer to buy a Molex connector and build your own. Check out your local electronics shop for that.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-08-2014, 07:28 AM   #5

Do you know if the original stator has a five pin male connector on it or if it's just five wires with individual female ends? If so I could rewire it quite easily. Iam noticing two versions on ebay but Gino's site tends to have this one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (33.9 KB, 153 views)

Old 07-08-2014, 07:33 AM   #6

The connection on the harness suggests it should be this one. The previous owner had done a lot of crazy wiring and I'm trying to correct it by determining weather the harness he used was wrong or if some parts he's put on are not original?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (26.2 KB, 150 views)

Old 07-08-2014, 10:57 AM   #7

wiring

Hello.... you can get the wiring for the beast from GIO... or the wires that you show from the stator has 2 different plugs... there is the white connector plug like in the pic and then it would probadly have one loose wire that is a push in... the wires that WELD talks about you can see the wires come from the shift indicator plug on the side of the motor... near the drive gear.. those just go to your lights... you would be better off to solder all the wires and use shrink tube to seal them... no problems with moisture then... and a good connection... you can use VASOLINE to seal any connectors you still have... this is the same as electrical sealant.. as I said.. you can buy the right wiring harness from GIO but some one has cut off the connectors from your stator... or go to your local electrically ( hobby store) and buy some connectors and re wire it ... I would just leave them soldered and shrink tubed or taped up... put them in some nice plastic loom... done..

Old 07-08-2014, 05:21 PM   #8

Thanks for the advice. I might wire up my own harness if allstarsales won't send me the proper one. My goal is to have all the connections done clean with proper harnesses so replacing components is easily done.

I'm not the original owner so I'm not sure what's original on this bike and what was forced to fit. I have slowly been upgrading and repairing everything I can so the wiring just happens to be my project now.

Old 07-08-2014, 10:33 PM   #9

That first pic looks like my wiring.

Old 07-08-2014, 11:57 PM   #10

all star sales

these guys are the gio sales department. they have a toll free number on GIOBIKES.COM talk to SVENN.. HE IS THE PARTS MANAGER

Old 07-09-2014, 12:00 AM   #11

Wiring

If everything works and the motor runs good.. and the charging works.. and all lights work... why replaced stuff... clean it up... tied it up... and ride... no one cares if it is original or what???? I think if all is like I said above... use plastic loom and tied it up an d ride... as they say... if it ain;t broke.. leave it alone./.

Old 07-09-2014, 04:37 PM   #12

Yeah I know, I just can't help it sometimes. This summer I've already replaced the rear tires done the alignment in the front, done rear hub bearings and seals. I really like working on this thing and it bothers me the old owner mangled the wires so much I can't understand what's what. All star sales has been in contact trying to figure out the problem.

The harness they sent me is missing the six single wire light connectors, a four pin for the volt reg and seems to have a few extra two pin connectors as well. The one in there ebay ad is the one I actually need and was only $30 which is why I started this project in the first place. For about $175 you can get this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (84.5 KB, 160 views)

Old 07-09-2014, 08:58 PM   #13

wiring

If a person needed any or all of that stuff... the price is ok... as WELD said you can buy the wiring plastic plugs for a lot less.. I will check my harness to see if it has all of that stuff and let you know..

Old 07-15-2014, 02:40 AM   #14

Question

I am thinking of buying one of those fully kitted out wiring harnesses with the CDI regulator starter solenoid etc. something just went wrong on my quad, I think it may be the starter motor that has failed or the starter solenoid but I figure it wouldn't hurt to replace the whole harness and all electrical components as well as the starter motor and have the thing running like new as far as the electrics go.... I only paid $100 for it and it is a 250 with Zongshen engine all the rest of it in pretty good cond. so to pay $200 for harness and components plus new starter motor seems pretty good!
At the moment when you hit the starter button it just goes click, it's not the battery as that is fully charged top quality after market job. Starter was working great then just died and now just goes click... Anyone else had this problem?

Old 07-15-2014, 11:19 AM   #15

Certainly, most of us have had that symptom at least once. It's usually a weak battery, and it's difficult to tell if even a new battery has sufficient capacity without a load test.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer