Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX4
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2021, 01:55 PM   #1

Deeper lids for side cases?

So I was wondering... the larger topcase that comes on the RX3 is unfortunately a different shape than the side cases. If it was the same shape as the short trunk (which is the same shape as the side cases), the taller lid would have bolted right on to either side case.

And of course, that has me thinking... how awesome would that kind of product be? Order two new lids, double your storage space? I'd pay for that!

I really like the stock luggage, it's just a dash too small. The Tourfella cases are an option, but they're a lot heavier. Just a new lid would keep the light, waterproof, and lockable nature of the stock bags, but have more storage for my junk!

I mean, it's all I can do to get a sleeping bag, hammock, underquilt, tarp, tools, cooking gear, and a single change of clothes into the cases. And I'd like to have a couple changes of clothes and a place for a spare mesh motorcycle jacket in addition to my regular adv jacket that I usually wear. (temp ranges from 90s to 50s in the mountains right now).

Charles.

Old 05-25-2021, 07:05 AM   #2

I bought a larger Trunk off Amazon (holds 2 open face helmets) which really increased capacity, but also have a "Dry Bag" that I can trow over the back seat/saddlebags for more stuff.....
2016 AJP PR4
2022 Templar X 250
2021 Sondors Metacycle
AMA Life Member

Old 06-05-2022, 09:23 AM   #3

I am sure someone with a big 3D printer could make up a deeper lid of say 2" or 3.5" deeper and sell them for a lot of money.... I'd even be interested !
on the muffler side that might even make that tiny side case useable !
.... but baring that I think an old u.s.Army duffle bag thrown accross the pasangers seat
will have to do.... of course I doubt you can even find those anymore
Itchy Boots uses a Nice large waterproof bag that really has served her well on her rides .... but for me , through the years I've learned to dislike bags of any kind on a bike.... the only bag I do like is a sleeping bag strapped directly behind the rider and used as back support ... that turns the bike into a recliner ! LOL....i wish I had a dollar for every mile I put on like that years ago ! i could ride all day with no problems !
and the tour fella aluminum boxes are very expensive... $800+ and no quick release brackets.... that's just the boxes ! so I keep my eyes pealed for good hard plastic boxes with handles for guns or drills or equipment most of them can be had fairly cheap.... you must reinforce the bolt holes or they will rip out though.
I saw a guy with 2 identical pieces of small suitcases on his o'l beat up harley and I asked him how they were working for him and he loved them he said it cost him $200 each and they do not leak ....I told him that was smart thinking ! I may well do that in the future....
....something to keep in mind why spend close to $1000 bucks if you don't have too !

Bob.....