Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2022, 01:26 AM   #1

Templar X 250

Anyone on here heard of this bike? Powersports Max has them listed for around 1750, and at a quick glance, they are a pretty decent looking ride. To me, they are new to the crowd, but, for all I know they have been floating around a bit. Curious to know what you guys may know. The Suzuki style shrouds on the tank scream second generation RMZ 250, which always a plus with me

Seriously though, the little bike looks pretty dapper for being fairly priced…….

Old 03-18-2022, 08:39 AM   #2

I have not heard of them, but it comes with a Zong 19hp engine. Could be a great bike.
https://www.powersportsmax.com/produ...ducts_id/23812

Old 03-18-2022, 09:07 AM   #3

Looks promising. Has all the pieces for street legality. Just need to see if your state recognizes it for the street.
1969 Honda CT90--The Tomahto
Cheesy is the WDK (workplace drama king). Now retired. Nope, back in the saddle.
Climate: The Movie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A24fWmNA6lM
How our government really works https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjadCd0VRBw
Question all authority.....think for yourself

Old 03-18-2022, 10:35 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TominMO View Post
Looks promising. Has all the pieces for street legality. Just need to see if your state recognizes it for the street.
Oh I’m not going to take the leap of faith on it…. I’d just never seen it before, and it does have some promising bits about it. It really has a “Nicot” look too it, which is who builds the new Orion 250. The hot start lever, or at least it appears to be, on the clutch side has me scratching my head. Or possibly it’s the choke?

Old 03-18-2022, 11:07 AM   #5

I like the suspension and engine upgrades, but they list it as "off-road only." I'm guessing that means the MCO says "dirt bike" and it doesn't have an FMVSS label. Usually, these "off road" bikes don't have EPA certification, but the listing for that bike says it is EPA approved.

So, I'm confused. I'd be interested if it was clearer that I could register it.

Old 03-18-2022, 11:52 AM   #6

Nice catch ExMxer

Maybe they haven't paid the fees and gone through the process of getting it approved for road use. There must be an administrative process to get EPA approval, if nothing else. I do not see a cat bulb (maybe one in the exhaust, but I doubt it).

I would have snagged one for my son if available when we made the mistake of getting the TBR7

But the list of highend components is defintitely impressive.
-that engine
-engine guard plate!
-decent footpegs
-roller throttle ass'y
-short shifter with a real folding tip and a tucked in brake lever!!?!
-21"/18" wheels with knobbies
-adjustable USD forks!?!?
-adjustable KKE rear shock
-and is that a compression release lever for easy starting on the left hand grip?!?!!
-a kill switch (not high end, but good to have)
-even the seat looks more substantial than most enduros!

Old 03-18-2022, 02:19 PM   #7

I’ve done some digging on this thing (day off today), and I can’t find crap. I cannot find an oem, but man this thing screams Nicot to me. It is impressive, but I’d be rather scared to buy one from those guys. Pretty rough dealings several folks have had. But that bike next to the Orion, sure looks like a close cousin………

Old 03-18-2022, 02:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExMxer View Post
I’ve done some digging on this thing (day off today), and I can’t find crap. I cannot find an oem, but man this thing screams Nicot to me. It is impressive, but I’d be rather scared to buy one from those guys. Pretty rough dealings several folks have had. But that bike next to the Orion, sure looks like a close cousin………
It does seem too good to be true. With all of these features, and the Zhongshen 250 on top of that, and less than $2000. Game changer? I would like to see and touch one of these in person before believing it. It is possible that the bike does exist. The real question is What is the quality of these components? The tech specs are there, but what are they really like? Where do those dual piston calipers come from, or any of these parts? China is developing it's own "Name brands" and some are getting very good. Is it possible that they are becoming the victim of their own legacy of cloned brands getting cloned?

I would buy one, just to test the theory. I can afford it, but can't get away with it at the moment -too many toys in the garage as it is
And besides, my real goal is to acquire a GPX TSE250 so I am saving up my mojo for that

By the way, I created a set of postable jpg from the photos on the web page to post on the forum in this thread, but then noticed a scary little warning that the pics are the property of powersportsmax, and any use will be fully prosecuted (or something like that).

Old 03-18-2022, 03:17 PM   #9

Newbie here. I've been researching this bike for a couple of days. For whatever reason yesterday they dropped the price by $50 so I placed my order today. From what I can see this is a Zongshen 250 FMM motor. Seems extremely popular in Russia. If you can stand to use Google translate on some YouTube videos there's quite a bit of information on the engine. Appears to also be the same engine in the Orion rbx250l only with a five-speed transmission and not counter balanced. EGL A16 Pro has lots of similarities to frame and suspension...

Old 03-18-2022, 03:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExMxer View Post
Oh I’m not going to take the leap of faith on it…. I’d just never seen it before, and it does have some promising bits about it. It really has a “Nicot” look too it, which is who builds the new Orion 250. The hot start lever, or at least it appears to be, on the clutch side has me scratching my head. Or possibly it’s the choke?
The Powersportsmax X-Pro Titan 250 and Titan 250 DLX are near-identical twins of the older Orion RXB250 as far as looks are. However, Orion changed updated their look and the Titan has soldiered on as its own bargain niche dirt bike and dual-sport (it doesn't have the upgrades that the older and current RXB has, like suspension, 6-speed trans, etc).

But, Powersportsmax has a lot of connections to factories in China, so my guess the Titan was made either in the same factory or used the same parts that were pieced together and badged as an 'X-Pro'. Their power in the industry is evidenced by them renaming many different bikes with the 'X-Pro' brand, such as the Hawk, and the Vader.

I think this new bike is an updated version of the Titan and may or may not be from the same OEM as the Orion, but at least uses many of the same parts.

The Chinese motorcycle industry is made up of many 'manufacturers' who oftentimes will buy their parts from a few sources and piece together bikes. The scooter side of it is a good example of this. In other words, the 'manufacture' puts the bikes together from parts it obtained from suppliers (the same suppliers other manufacturers use), has them EPA certified and thus legitimizes the 'manufacturer' as its own identity, even though it might have pieced together scooters from the same suppliers, and many scooters look the same.

I am sure the Templar is a quality bike, along the same lines as owners of the Titan dirt bikes and dual-sports have attested to, so should be worth a look as long as one is able to plate them in their particular state.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 03-18-2022, 04:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutcracker View Post
Newbie here. I've been researching this bike for a couple of days. For whatever reason yesterday they dropped the price by $50 so I placed my order today. From what I can see this is a Zongshen 250 FMM motor. Seems extremely popular in Russia. If you can stand to use Google translate on some YouTube videos there's quite a bit of information on the engine. Appears to also be the same engine in the Orion rbx250l only with a five-speed transmission and not counter balanced. EGL A16 Pro has lots of similarities to frame and suspension...
Nice! Post up pics as soon as you get your hands on it, for you will be doing us all a great service :clap. Secondly, kudos to you for stepping up to the plate on a new (and I seriously mean that term) purchase we can ooh and ahh over. You may very well be responsible for starting a trend

Old 03-18-2022, 04:38 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
It does seem too good to be true. With all of these features, and the Zhongshen 250 on top of that, and less than $2000. Game changer? I would like to see and touch one of these in person before believing it. It is possible that the bike does exist. The real question is What is the quality of these components? The tech specs are there, but what are they really like? Where do those dual piston calipers come from, or any of these parts? China is developing it's own "Name brands" and some are getting very good. Is it possible that they are becoming the victim of their own legacy of cloned brands getting cloned?

I would buy one, just to test the theory. I can afford it, but can't get away with it at the moment -too many toys in the garage as it is
And besides, my real goal is to acquire a GPX TSE250 so I am saving up my mojo for that

By the way, I created a set of postable jpg from the photos on the web page to post on the forum in this thread, but then noticed a scary little warning that the pics are the property of powersportsmax, and any use will be fully prosecuted (or something like that).
Buy it!! Test the waters for us! Hell if you get one and hate it, my dumbass might buy it off of you. I’ll let you roll the dice first……. My son really wants a new scoot, and he’s a broke college student / National Guard soldier. I could send him your way . Besides, we are only 3 short hours apart…..

Old 03-18-2022, 07:57 PM   #13

I'm glad you posted the question about this bike. Will be fun to see exactly what I've really bought. Its curiosity only that I purchased the bike. How is it possible to have a spec sheet as lengthy for under 2k... Will post plenty of pics and information...

Old 03-18-2022, 08:45 PM   #14

Quote:
I'm glad you posted the question about this bike. Will be fun to see exactly what I've really bought. Its curiosity only that I purchased the bike. How is it possible to have a spec sheet as lengthy for under 2k... Will post plenty of pics and information...
Good man! Takin' one for the team.....
1969 Honda CT90--The Tomahto
Cheesy is the WDK (workplace drama king). Now retired. Nope, back in the saddle.
Climate: The Movie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A24fWmNA6lM
How our government really works https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjadCd0VRBw
Question all authority.....think for yourself

Old 03-18-2022, 09:17 PM   #15

Quote:
Powersportmax's Titan DLX looked like the old Orion RXB before they updated it in styling and engine. However, the Titan did not have adjustable suspension and a few other goodies the Orion had, but it was (still is) a bargain for its price, and the members who purchased it and posted about it seemed to like it. This bike seems to be a step up from the Titan, and I am sure it will be a quality bargain dirt bike that will serve you well (of course, taking the 'Chinese' into account as one has to do with most any sub-$2k Chinese bike).

I am guessing that with Powersportmax's connections, this bike is made by the same OEM as the Orion bikes (hence it looks like the RXB) but Powersportsmax did not spec it out with all the same bits as the Orion.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard