Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2017, 07:11 PM   #1

Getting closer to broke in

400 miles after today's 137 mile ride . Mostly dirt roads with a few miles of trails as they are not open yet till spring thaw deadline april 15 th .
After tweaking air fuel screw I got it all dialed in , well till she is broke in that is .
53 degrees and sunny made for a great ride .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (19.8 KB, 228 views)

Old 03-31-2017, 07:20 PM   #2

Good to see it is warmish out that way! I am sure the miles will only be racking up from here on out!!

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 03-31-2017, 09:09 PM   #3

hey guys, what is technically the break in process...are we just looking at miles and then adjusting the valves? noob question indeed lol

Old 03-31-2017, 09:37 PM   #4

You want a sooner than later second oil change (assuming you changed the oil BEFORE your first ride but after running it at idle for a few minutes to warm the oil up to drain more of the shipping crap since it gets thinner when warm. Some members have changed it at 100 miles, some 200? The third change is at 500. Don't quote me, I am writing what I remember we did waaaaaaay back in the mid to late 2000's and I have done with two of my bikes since. Maybe the consensus on the oil change process during break-in has changed? Valve adjustment can't hurt, either.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 03-31-2017, 09:49 PM   #5

Yup, what culcune said. Oil changes for the first bit is most critical. Its NOT unusual to see metal in the first oil change either. Take care to keep the rpm's fluctuating (not a long stretch of any one certain rpm), and not over rev the engine.... but really, just ride it and have fun. It will break in just fine.

Previously owned / operated MOTO Xtreme selling American Lifan / Check out my friends at www.armattanquads.com

"Imagination is more important that knowledge" Albert Einstein

Old 04-01-2017, 10:53 AM   #6

33 licensed street bikes under my belt . Way too many dirt bikes to count .
I am a true gear head . What I did is warm up engine good when it first ran . Dumped that so called oil in it. Than ran 100 miles with 15-40 and will change oil again at 500. Like my KLR 650 I will be changing oil often . As thumpers abuse the crap out of the cylinder and wall. That's also why I prefer to use Shell Rotella diesel oil . Lots of zinc to lube against sheering of oil. I had zero shavings in first and second oil change , which suprised me . But I am getting clutch chatter . I may have to switch oil and see if that makes chatter go away . I hate to start tearing apart new clutch pack and springs to see if I can make it go away . Sometimes oil does the trick though. I know I have clutch springs that will fit as I never threw away anything from any bike I ever owned . Hence the 25x 50 garage with a basement under 1/3 of it

Old 04-01-2017, 12:06 PM   #7

I had the same problem with the rotella synthetic diesel oil until I changed it with the valvoline 10-40 synthetic motorcycle oil.,now the clutch is operating a lot smoother.

Old 04-01-2017, 12:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
I had the same problem with the rotella synthetic diesel oil until I changed it with the valvoline 10-40 synthetic motorcycle oil.,now the clutch is operating a lot smoother.
yup that valvoline is good stuff. I use it in my hawk and shifting is good. If you bike shifts good with the diesel stuff stick with it. but if it is picky use the vavoline 4 stroke motorcycle oil.

Old 04-01-2017, 01:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistolclass View Post
yup that valvoline is good stuff. I use it in my hawk and shifting is good. If you bike shifts good with the diesel stuff stick with it. but if it is picky use the vavoline 4 stroke motorcycle oil.
But switching BACK from synthetic will make the wear surfaces act funny in the clutch plates, won't it?

Rides a 2016 Bashan 18C with Blue PlastiDip, piped and jetted, USB charger, real-time digital volt meter, faux carbon fiber handguards, 5 COB led headlight upgrade, auxiliary led light bars, and an MSR shift lever with new grips, T6 aluminum handlebars anodized in blue, polished handlebar brace, decals, HD Unibear chain and spoke covers waiting on the always-full mod shelf......

Old 04-01-2017, 08:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWeld View Post
But switching BACK from synthetic will make the wear surfaces act funny in the clutch plates, won't it?
I would think it should not if one uses a motorcycle specific oil such as that Valvoline . I have used that oil before years ago.
Thanks Chuck , I read that from you before and was going to go that route at my 500 mile swap .

Old 04-01-2017, 10:00 PM   #11

Quote:
I was running Rotella 15W40 from the first oil change at about 150 miles until I had 1K miles on my TT which is when I switched to the Rotella Synthetic. I've always had excellent performance with the Rotella but I figured since the bike was new I'd try the Synthetic but I actually had some slipping in the clutch during the cold months until the engine warmed up so I switched back to the 15W40 and haven't had a single issue since. I put over 50K miles on my '77 Kawasaki Kz 1000 with great results from it so that's what I'll be running from now on.
2016 CSC TT 250, 17/40 sprockets, JT 428 chain, Stock Keima carburetor with needle raised 1 notch and 115 main jet. Modified stock exhaust, Tachometer/Digital cluster upgrade. LED headlight, Superbrightleds 1157 Tail light bulb, Shinko 705's 90/90-21 and 120/80-18.

Old 04-02-2017, 09:26 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerWFarrier View Post
I was running Rotella 15W40 from the first oil change at about 150 miles until I had 1K miles on my TT which is when I switched to the Rotella Synthetic. I've always had excellent performance with the Rotella but I figured since the bike was new I'd try the Synthetic but I actually had some slipping in the clutch during the cold months until the engine warmed up so I switched back to the 15W40 and haven't had a single issue since. I put over 50K miles on my '77 Kawasaki Kz 1000 with great results from it so that's what I'll be running from now on.
That's great to hear! But I have what might sound like a dumb question: What's the advantage of going synthetic after break in? Sincere first time I hit the starter on my Brozz, it's had the Walmart Valvoline 4 stroke motorcycle oil in it, and I just assumed I'd just keep using it from now on.

CB oil education starts in 3......2.....1.....

Rides a 2016 Bashan 18C with Blue PlastiDip, piped and jetted, USB charger, real-time digital volt meter, faux carbon fiber handguards, 5 COB led headlight upgrade, auxiliary led light bars, and an MSR shift lever with new grips, T6 aluminum handlebars anodized in blue, polished handlebar brace, decals, HD Unibear chain and spoke covers waiting on the always-full mod shelf......

Old 04-02-2017, 10:12 AM   #13

Everyone has/runs their favorite ... I get Quicksilver at Wal-Mart and have used it for several years now with excellent results ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg quicksilver.jpg (22.3 KB, 134 views)

" Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted." - John Lennon

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
― Thomas Jefferson

"If you don't know where you're going any road will take you there" ....George Harrison song

Old 04-02-2017, 11:32 AM   #14

15W40 for me!

I have a Suzuki C50T and a JM Star scoot, plus several others I've owned. Rotella works great. I tried the synthetic Rotella in the C50 once, clutch slipped, went back to regular and no more problems.

Old 04-02-2017, 12:20 PM   #15

Exclamation

Quote:
That's great to hear! But I have what might sound like a dumb question: What's the advantage of going synthetic after break in? Sincere first time I hit the starter on my Brozz, it's had the Walmart Valvoline 4 stroke motorcycle oil in it, and I just assumed I'd just keep using it from now on.

CB oil education starts in 3......2.....1.....
Most of us go synthetic after brake in. The engine runs cooler and there is less wear but some people report clutch slippage with the Rotella synthetic and some don't. If it works for your clutch its a great way to go. If it doesn't I would still go synthetic just with a real motorcycle oil. Your engine can last longer if you run synthetic oil.