Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2021, 06:42 PM   #1

Hawk DLX first ride! Some issues...

So I just took my DLX out on its maiden voyage and it was fun. Went about 20 miles and this thing vibrates like crazy. From the time I left my house going 25mph to the time I got back after doing 60. It tickles my feet and I feel it inside areas of my body I didn't think was possible. Is this normal? It didn't feel abnormal like something wasn't right but it was a lot.

Also, I would be going along around 50ish, steady throttle/speed, and the bike would lose power and surge. Like I let up on the throttle but I didn't. I noticed this right away in first gear. I thought maybe I hit a Rev limiter but I was only about 7K rpm. I did change the plug to an NGK unit before I rode it. I also have not adjusted the valves since I wanted to run it first.

Any ideas here? And OMG the exhaust is loud. My neighbors are not going to like me in the mornings. Lol

My horn didn't work out of the box either but I was sent a replacement right away. I also ordered the large, 42liter hard tail box.

Old 06-24-2021, 08:06 AM   #2

You'll get some vibration when new but Excessive vibration is not normal. If you installed a resistor plug, be sure that you don't have a resistor cap on the coil wire. The standard Hawk has a non-resistor cap, not sure what the DXL comes with. In the past we've had a few members that had similar issues and turned out they were running a resistor plug with a resistor cap.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 06-24-2021, 08:14 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 View Post
You'll get some vibration when new but Excessive vibration is not normal. If you installed a resistor plug, be sure that you don't have a resistor cap on the coil wire. The standard Hawk has a non-resistor cap, not sure what the DXL comes with. In the past we've had a few members that had similar issues and turned out they were running a resistor plug with a resistor cap.
Thanks for the info. I ended up putting the original plug back in last night and the bike was still surging/missing today. It almost seems like the throttle position sensor is acting up.

As far as the vibration I realized that most likely it was from the tires on the asphalt. I had only ridden it around in my yard before yesterday so I never noticed.

Old 06-24-2021, 08:58 AM   #4

Try unplugging and plugging back in all the connectors. May be just a bad connection. Some tomes the pins aren't locked in place during assembly. I know I had a few on my Hawk.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 07-12-2021, 09:39 PM   #5

Okay, an update. I've got about 300 miles on this now. I ended up replacing the chain and sprockets and some light bulbs. The vibration is still there but I am used to it now. The biggest thing is still the surging issue. I went out on Saturday and rode a while. Got up to 72 (on the speedo) and was cruising and it started slowing down even with throttle wide open. I let up and got to 65 and opened it back up and it wouldn't go any faster. I ended up turning down a side road and was going about 35 and it was fine.

Yesterday I was cruising about 50-55 and it started to surge again. You can feel the bike surge as well as hear the engine. It kinda came out of it but only after I sped up.

This morning I was going about 20 and it was doing it, then on my way home at about 40 it was doing it.

It always does it when first started which is kind of understandable. But not after 15 minutes of riding.

I have checked all the electrical connectors and the are all clipped on. Oil is fine and I am running premium fuel. It almost seems to me like the throttle position sensor has bad spots but it isn't constantly in the same spot in the throttle range.

Old 07-13-2021, 08:00 AM   #6

Have you adjusted the valves yet? It's one of the first things all these bikes need done as the valves are usually set tight as in no gap from the manufacture.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 07-13-2021, 08:26 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 View Post
Have you adjusted the valves yet? It's one of the first things all these bikes need done as the valves are usually set tight as in no gap from the manufacture.
Yes, forgot to mention that.

Old 08-04-2021, 02:46 PM   #8

Any progress report on the surging issue? I have a relatively new (180 miles) DLX with similar symptoms: at any speed, cold or warm, the bike periodically experiences small surges and/or drop-offs. The changes aren't enough to affect ride-ability much, but they obviously ought not to be happening. I did set the valve lash to 3i and 4e when I put the bike together (would incorrect valve lash actually cause these symptoms??).

(Just as an aside, other than this minor annoyance, the bike has been great--super smooth clutch right out of the box.)

Old 08-04-2021, 03:12 PM   #9

The valves move sometimes on break-in, I would recheck them.

Old 08-04-2021, 03:53 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britt View Post
Any progress report on the surging issue? I have a relatively new (180 miles) DLX with similar symptoms: at any speed, cold or warm, the bike periodically experiences small surges and/or drop-offs. The changes aren't enough to affect ride-ability much, but they obviously ought not to be happening. I did set the valve lash to 3i and 4e when I put the bike together (would incorrect valve lash actually cause these symptoms??).

(Just as an aside, other than this minor annoyance, the bike has been great--super smooth clutch right out of the box.)
I think, i repeat, I THINK it isnthe throttle position sensor. I have noticed if i hold the throttle just above idle and cruising, i can get it to do the surging. I can repeat this on command in any gear.

I currently have the bike for sale but may replace the sensor/throttle body before i sell it. It has been a good bike but i need more speed. I tried passing a car the other day that was going 45 in a 55. So sad.

Old 12-26-2023, 06:38 PM   #11

Hawk 250 throttle position

Did you ever fix that issue? I’m having the same problem only a new TPS didn’t really help

Old 12-26-2023, 07:37 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealwebb View Post
Did you ever fix that issue? I’m having the same problem only a new TPS didn’t really help
Nope. I ended up selling it to a guy whose son trashed a customers brand new one. He bought mine to use as a parts bike.

Old 12-26-2023, 08:11 PM   #13

Try one with a carburetor next time. Lots of experts can advise on carb tuning, and you can jet it a little more rich to run cooler, avoid surging and troubleshooting puzzles. Make modifications to the bike (head porting, exhaust, cam), and just rejet.

Lots of good EFI systems out there. A carb is a little more work. But it is a satisfying feeling to bump the pilot, or the main, or reposition the needle, and get RESULTS!!!!