Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2023, 08:32 PM   #16

Not sure what the basic Hawk 250 is but it has to be under $1400 to make it viable, the new EFI or counter balanced X version are just not competitive and a hard pass compared to any Templar...

Old 09-26-2023, 08:50 PM   #17

Doesn't PowerSportsMax charge shipping though? check that closely. some places ship free, others not, which allows them to show lower prices. be sure to look at TOTAL cost.

Bikes I've owned: Suzuki GS450T, Yamaha XS500, Honda V45 Sabre, Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic (2), Suzuki VX800, Kawasaki Ninja 650, Triumph TT600, Honda Superhawk, Kawasaki Concours 1000 (3, including a sidecar rig), Buell XB9R, Kawasaki Nomad 1500, Concours 14, Honda Goldwing (2), Housen Hawk, Suzuki Intruder 1400, Kawasaki KLR650, Victory V92TC.

Old 09-26-2023, 09:08 PM   #18

That is true, but also consider if you ever were going to upgrade the motorcycle and with the hawk that is going to happen to most owners, you would have to spend far in excess of the shipping at powersportsmax to bring a hawk 250 up to the same features and quality of the Templar so its unfortunately not an apples to apples comparison.... its a hawk to a templar comparison ... or a manny store to not a manny store comparison, whatever criteria someone as the buyer would have to go through everything and chose either depending on their analysis. Oh and another consideration is if you live in a ultra strict DMV state or a relaxed state for MCO, and you definitely want powersportsmax to make sure it says motorcycle on the MCO description entry, unless you are riding them off road only in which case its not a care.
- #42 / #120 Jets
- 1mm thick nitrile O-ring needle shim (removed)
- Kenda K761 Dual Sport Tires
- Sedona Standard Thickness Inner Tubes
- Stock OEM battery, carburetor, spark plug still going strong
- https://youtu.be/dhAYEKH-jFQ

1. Texas Pete's Templar X 250 Torque Specifications Sheet
  2. Texas Pete's Engine Displacement Calculator
  3. Texas Pete's Tire and Rim Compatibility

Old 09-27-2023, 07:46 PM   #19

I've been looking more at the X-Pro Templar X and am really starting to lean that way even without the EFI.

As Texas Pete shared they have a fall sale going on where I can get it for $1749.95. Unfortunately as Sport Rider pointed out, they do indeed charge delivery which appears to be about $300 which brings the price back up the same as many of the other options i've been looking at.

I don't know what a manny store is, so someone will need to loop me in on that.

From what you guys have shared here, the Templar X is the superior bike in both build and performance correct? (At least when comparing the Templar X & the X-Pro Hawk DLX & RPS Hawk motorcycles.
I like that the Templar X has the counter balanced engine & has the 6th gear and I've read that the Templar X has fully adjustable forks and Shock. As I shared previously I was really leaning toward getting something with Fuel Injection just for basic ease of use, but from what i've read the carbs aren't that bad and if I needed to do an upgrade on the Templar X, it would be a straight forward process.

So is the consensus that the Templar is the better option even without Fuel Injection?

Other than the items mentioned above are all other components basically the same in terms of quality?

I saw another post stating that the suspension is a weak point on the Templar, but I figure that this probably holds true for all of the bikes at this price point.

X-Pro Templar X | 250CC Dirt Bike | Carburetor
$1749.95 (and $300 shipping)
Has all lights | 6-speed manual transmission| Electric Start| 21"/18" wheels | Zongshen Brand Engine | Counter Balanced Engine
36.2" seat height | 57.9" wheel base (89"L x 34.6"W x 55.5"H) | 258lbs dry
https://www.powersportsmax.com/produ...ducts_id/23812

X-Pro Hawk DLX 250 | 229cc | Fuel Injection | 5 speed | 21"/18" wheels
$1949.95 with (potentially) free shipping
$2098 fully assembled.
Has all lights| 5-speed manual transmission | Electric/Kick Start | 21"/18" wheels
36 inches seat height | 54" wheel base (size 84"L x 32"W x 55"H) | 280lbs dry

https://txpowersports.com/New-hawk-D...p/hawk-dlx.htm
https://txpowersports.com/New-hawk-D...-assembled.htm

I looked at the suggested Lifan KPX250, and really liked it. It appeared to check all the "would like to have" marks. However the price and is $1000 more than the other options.

Would the Lifan x-pect be worth considering, it does has EFI but only 19"/17" wheels and the x-pro version is about $1600. (Not sure what the shipping would be)

LIFAN X-PECT | 200CC DUAL SPORT MOTORCYCLE | FUEL INJECTED | 5 SPEED | 19"/17" wheels
$2,199.99 Comes with 2-YEAR LIFAN WARRANTY (INCLUDED)
https://www.venommotorsportsusa.com/...bike-lf200gy-4

X-Pro X-Pect | 200cc | Fuel Injected | 5 Speed | 19"/17" wheels
$1599.95
https://www.powersportsmax.com/produ...ducts_id/22137

Old 09-28-2023, 07:55 AM   #20

You are learning what you need to know.

Don't count out Templar M ($1550 at PSM, plus shipping), which has the simpler 5 speed version of the 249cc Zongshen engine- (ZS172-FMM-3A). This makes the same horsepower (~19hp) as the 6 speed 249cc engine.

The Temp M does not have fully adjustable suspension, but you can change to heavier fork oil to stiffen the action, and shim the springs for more preload. Rear shock does have preload adjustability.

This is $350 lower price than the Temp X.

I acutally sold my 6 speed X and stuck with the original 5 speed 2022 Templar X. I like the engine.

You might think of this as a Hawk (14hp) with more enduro leaning geometry and a more powerful engine (19hp).

Old 09-28-2023, 08:30 AM   #21

rithac:

Do a search on this forum for 'Manny dealerships'. You will learn A LOT, and none of it good.

JerryHawk250, and many others, speak highly of Venom Motorsports. I have no interaction with them, but I trust the numerous positive reviews I've read. I would much rather deal with a dealership that treats me right (ie doesn't screw me over) and has a supply of replacement parts.

As for what to buy, I have a financial philosophy.
- Buy once, cry once, get exactly what I want, even if it costs me a bit more up front.
This ends up saving me $$ short and long term. If the item I'm evaluating hits all of my criteria, I will keep it.
If it doesn't meet all of my criteria but is cheaper, I may not be completely satisfied and will kick myself for not spending a bit more up front. This also leads to me dumping $$ into improvements, which often outweighs the initial savings. Or worst case I hate the thing altogether, sell it at a loss, and buy what I initially wanted (costing me time and money).
In the case of China bikes, the resale value really isn't the best. Finding a buyer for a CSC TT250 or a Templar is a lot different than a Kawasaki or Honda in large part due to name recognition.

I hope all this makes sense. I know it doesn't answer your questions, but I hope it provides some guidance.
2021 CSC TT250 - White (Daughter's) "Gemini"

Old 09-28-2023, 08:56 AM   #22

just to keep the confusion going.....

The 6 speed trans comes into play because of the improved top-end speed on roads. I'm not sure this is a necessity since this is for the kids. However, the other aspects of the Templar X (or M) motor is good. True 250 and slightly more power. However, power isn't a critical factor, again, because it's for the kids. The could have plenty of fun on the 229's too. It really depends on how important price is to you. The 229s are competent and you won't go wrong with those either.

If you're looking farther into the future with the kids having fun on the bikes long term, go Templar.

As for Manny....don't buy from any of the sites that are in the Arlington TX area. Check with us to confirm. I've not bought from Venom, but they have a good reputation here. buying my hawk was so long ago, I don't even remember who I bought it from.

Bikes I've owned: Suzuki GS450T, Yamaha XS500, Honda V45 Sabre, Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic (2), Suzuki VX800, Kawasaki Ninja 650, Triumph TT600, Honda Superhawk, Kawasaki Concours 1000 (3, including a sidecar rig), Buell XB9R, Kawasaki Nomad 1500, Concours 14, Honda Goldwing (2), Housen Hawk, Suzuki Intruder 1400, Kawasaki KLR650, Victory V92TC.

Old 09-28-2023, 01:32 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by rithac View Post
I looked at the suggested Lifan KPX250, and really liked it. It appeared to check all the "would like to have" marks. However the price and is $1000 more than the other options.

Would the Lifan x-pect be worth considering, it does has EFI but only 19"/17" wheels and the x-pro version is about $1600. (Not sure what the shipping would be)

Just swapping hats to argue for the KPX. It doesn't I think from Venom have shipping so would it still be $1000 more?

Now these are my thoughts on EFI:

EFI buys you nothing but cold start convenience if we are all truthful.

EFI on cars is direct cylinder injection. EFI on motorcycles is just simple port injection as in you gain nothing over using a carburetor performance or benefit wise. Its just a carb body with an injector screwed into it. It sprays mist and that gets sucked along with air into the air intake manifold just like a carburetor delivers the fuel. No difference. No direct cylinder metered injection.

The early EFI Harley-Davidsons... everyone that owned one was ripping out the EFI and putting back on the old style carburetors because the EFI had propblems and the early EFI Harleys were burning through more fuel than the old style carburetors did.

Once you try and modify your bike, and that's if you modify your bike. Then EFI becomes a hindrance rather than a help. Get new exhaust or modify or replace the air intake, now you need to reprogram new fueling maps for the EFI. First does your EFI support reprogramming. Second does the EFI have a programming tool available that works with it. Third can you afford the hundreds of dollars involved in buying special tools and special cables or adapters to plug into your EFI? Fourth are there any fueling maps already available for your bike and the parts you swapped out on your bike that you can base your initial tuning on or do you have to green fields the whole new EFI map and do lots of testing?

Are you good at troubleshooting computers/electronics on top of troubleshooting mechanical systems?\You are going have to get good if you want to maintain your bike over the long term. You need to be able to troubleshoot false signals. Code says its the O2 sensor, could end up not being the O2 sensor but a wire that's corroded or nicked or shorted out. Carburetors once you learn them are logical troubleshooting hardware. If symptom is X then you look at Y to fix it. EFI can turn into spaghetti troubleshooting.

But also don't read me wrong, if nothing goes wrong, EFI is awesome. Its when it does or when you want to do something other than stock OEM setup.

Carburetors you need to treat them right. I don't turn my bike off and call it done after a ride. I leave the engine running, turn off the fuel pet cock to closed and let the engine continue to run while I get out of my gear. Soon the bike runs through the fuel in the float bowl and the engine dies. I then turn the bike off. Knock on wood I have never had an issue with it to date no matter how much time goes by in-between rides.
- #42 / #120 Jets
- 1mm thick nitrile O-ring needle shim (removed)
- Kenda K761 Dual Sport Tires
- Sedona Standard Thickness Inner Tubes
- Stock OEM battery, carburetor, spark plug still going strong
- https://youtu.be/dhAYEKH-jFQ

1. Texas Pete's Templar X 250 Torque Specifications Sheet
  2. Texas Pete's Engine Displacement Calculator
  3. Texas Pete's Tire and Rim Compatibility

Old 09-28-2023, 03:13 PM   #24

An adult may have reasons to spend more for the perfect bike, with every desired feature. Kids are much more flexible and can learn about their bikes working on them. They will be very happy with a good bike, and WHEN they break it, it won't be as big of a deal if you choose a less expensive model!

They will get that with ALL of these bikes, including the more expensive ones. Look around on this site, and even the more expensive models have failures, need maintenance and work now and then.

People have been tuning carbs for decades. It is not rocket science. And you are not stuck with the lean running conditions of the stock enrichment curve. Nothing wrong with a carbed Chinese bike.

ALSO regarding the Zongshen engines (also applies to Loncin, Lifan, depending on the model)- The 229cc ZS engines are pushrod valve actuated. The 249cc ZS engines have overhead cams. Both styles are dependable, OHC are more efficient and powerful. OHC heads suffer less valve lash variation due to heat expansion. But adjusting valves is a useful skill to have. Your kids can both learn how to do this.

Old 09-28-2023, 03:37 PM   #25

Texas Pete:
Looks like my numbers were off on the KPX, I started filling out the form and saw that shipping would be calculated in a later step and did not realize it was free. Price listed at Venom is $2,899.99 (with free shipping) so that does close the gap a bit, but even so, since I plan to purchase 2.. budget wise I just can't move up to that price range even though I'd like to. I don't see the Templar listed on the Venom site.

Also thanks for the explanation of how the efi on these bikes work, it makes me feel better about not having it, especially considering that i'll probably jump on the "upgrade to Nibbi PWK30" carb bandwagon.

Thumper:
I'm leaning toward the Templar X over the M for the adjustable forks and shocks. The 6th gear also weighs in for my kids to have room to 'grow' with it.

Hunnicutt/Sport Rider
I'm currently offering the deal at powersportsmax.com, but if I need to check out other dealers i'm more than willing, they just have one of the better prices i've found on the Templar X currently $1749.95 (although with the addition of $300 for shipping on top of that) https://www.powersportsmax.com/produ...ducts_id/23812
I've checkout out amazon ($1949 & $400 shipping) & walmart ($1998 & then tax, but free shipping), https://xprousa.com/ has it for 2,171.00 and with free shipping.

I'm not really finding the Templar X many other places. I had been looking at options at txpowersports.com, but they don't have the Templar, and I'm not sure what the RPS equivalent would be, so I haven't really looked at that option. Also, i'm now afraid to browse dealers in Texas in case they might be a Manny dealer. :-)

I like that venommotorsportsusa.com has been recommended here, but it appears that do not carry the Templar, but rather the pricier/better KPX.

Old 09-28-2023, 03:47 PM   #26

FWIW, I think "different" is more accurate than "better"

As I mentioned, ALL of these bikes are prone to an issue or two

These issues are documented here, but rest assured, there is some random component failure across the board

Old 09-28-2023, 03:59 PM   #27

The Templar X at the current discount is the best deal going on...consider it as free shipping.

If the bike has no intention of ever going on road then save a few dollars and get an M 5 speed...

As Texas Pete said EFI gets you cold starts with out chokes or fettling...
but you get more electrical complexity and things like possible pump and sensor failures...is it worth the premium, over a simple carburetor...IMO no.

If you get 2 bikes from the same distributor surely there would be a combined shipping discount?

when the basic hawk was like a $1000 bike on Amazon it was the deal of the time...
since then the economy changed...

as a package the Templar X or M I believe is now the best bang for buck...

All of which are not available to me because I live in Australia...but the some of the china bike parts can rub off on my old Honda Xl185...

Old 09-29-2023, 05:53 AM   #28

rithac: Txpowersports is a Manny company. I bought my Magician from there before I was ever on this site. FYI the 30MM Nibbi is too big, the 28MM is the right size. Personally, I think the stock carbs work fine. You will need to rejet them depending on your altitude, but that's pretty simple.

2016 Magician 250

Old 09-29-2023, 09:44 PM   #29

The X-Pect is a great bike in my opinion and well worth considering for your daughter. Especially if you can get it for around $1700.00. Lifan warrants their EFI for two years if I remember correctly but warranty service might be up to the Seller which could be an issue getting it fulfilled.

China bikes are a gamble no matter how you cut um. Mostly seems to be metal issues with valves etc. No doubt Lifan quality is a cut above the HAWK, TBR7, etc. I don't know about the Templar as I have never had one.

The X-Pect with 19 inch front and 17 inch rear rides much like a street bike and is therefore very nimble and proficient to ride on the street. In stock configuration it can do the dual sport thing but with the stock tires it is really more of a street bike.

The biggest issue is the odd tire size, which favors a street tire.

I think it the perfect "street trainer bike" as it has low seat height and street manners it is very forgiving.

If your daughter does not like it, then in a couple of years it could be sold with minimal loss in your investment. Once your daughter gets the hang of the clutch in two months, she is going to want to ride on the road and at 16 an eligible age that might be a battle. Once they start riding the "big" bikes every thing is going to accelerate! Good motorcycle training at the beginning is key.

Old 12-19-2023, 03:09 PM   #30

I thought I'd give an update to what I ended up getting. I did go with the Templar X 250 from PSM. I know some of you also weighed in on my other post, but thought I'd put an update here as well in case anyone finds this thread later on and was wondering.

If you'd like information as to the condition they arrived in (very good) you can see my other post where I included a few pictures of the crates and early unboxing shots at
https://www.chinariders.net/showthre...810#post402810

Tags
advice, hawk 250, recommendation