Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Everything Else
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2021, 11:14 AM   #1

80cc Huffy Nel Lusso

I'm starting an 80cc beach cruiser project. Any tips on these 2 stroke engine kits or huffy beach cruisers would be appreciated. So far just getting a bike and engine kit have been a pain. Walmart can't keep bikes in stock here, people are actually hawking them on Offerup and Facebook. I placed an order for a Huffy Nel Lusso over a week ago from Walmart.com and finally shipped yesterday and should be delivered today or tomorrow.

Ordering the 2 stroke engine kit was tough. Amazon and others won't ship them to the peoples republic of California. I was able to find an ebay seller who would ship one here and I got the kit last week.

I keep reading that the weak point on the Huffy beach cruiser is the wheelbearings and coaster brake so I plan to grease the hubs and loctite the entire project. The chain tensioner on these bike kits look sketchy.

I'm thinking about ordering a springer front fork from Bikeberry, not sure if anyone has experience with these. They would give the bike a classic look and better ride, but are they safe at 30-40 mph? I'll post pics of the bike, kit, and inspiration (1911 Indian Single).

Old 05-30-2021, 11:28 AM   #2

[attach][attach][attach]Name:  Springer Fork.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  4.2 KB[/attach][/attach][/attach]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Engine Kit.jpg (12.7 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg Huffy Nel Lusso.jpg (10.0 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg 1911 INDIAN.jpg (156.3 KB, 83 views)

Old 05-30-2021, 11:38 AM   #3

I had a Schwinn style springer on my motorized bicycle and it worked well. I never really went over 30mph on it. Try to find one with a brake mount unless you plan to use disk or drum brake.
- if you get a Wally World bike, avoid the ones with a welded-on cargo rack. The heat from welding can cause cracks in the chain stays.

Old 05-30-2021, 01:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelbender6 View Post
I had a Schwinn style springer on my motorized bicycle and it worked well. I never really went over 30mph on it. Try to find one with a brake mount unless you plan to use disk or drum brake.
- if you get a Wally World bike, avoid the ones with a welded-on cargo rack. The heat from welding can cause cracks in the chain stays.
Thanks so much. I hadn't thought about brake mounts on the springer fork. I looked after I read your reply and the bike berry springer fork I was considering doesn't have a brake mount.
Glad I didn't order them yet!

Unfortunately the Huffy has a welded cargo rack. I didn't consider the additional welds and possible frame issues. I'll keep a close eye on the frame welds and use the rack sparingly
Thanks again!