Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pit/Pocket Bikes & Scooters
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2022, 03:58 PM   #1

Tao Tao DB17 supermoto build.

Ok, So last week, I was perusing craigslist, and happened across a dirt bike for $100 in Jacksonville, Fl. For that price, I wouldn't mind making the 2 hour drive, even if the bike didn't work. If anything, it would be spare parts for all the other bikes. I hit the guy up, and he says that someone is looking at it tomorrow morning. I told him I'd be down there that night to buy it. He agreed, and by 8PM, I was the new owner of a DB17.

At first, I figured it would be a good bike to teach friends on, and have a spare to go hit the trails if anyone else inadvertently decided to come along with us last minute. But then, my son asked me to ride motorcycles with him. That made me come up with this idea. He and I can run drills together, and ride on the mini track together as this will be the only bike that fits me well enough, and is small enough to not be out of place on a track that small.

So far with the build, I've collected some 12" supermoto mag wheels from amazon (same as the ones on TBolt, but without the brake rotors and sprocket). A 39 tooth sprocket, a 4 pot brake caliper, and some Kenda Kwick KD1 tires. I need an adapter to use the brake caliper, and may use one of my knock-off brembo RC19 brake master cylinders.

Next on the agenda is to clean and troubleshoot the bike, and why it's not running. The bike may get some of the bits and bobs that I bought to upgrade the RFZ and the mototec. After that, the fork may need some addressing. It used to belong to a kid who, very obviously, beat the mess out of the bike. I've never seen a fork leak oil, and have a VERY slow rebound. Since the amazon forks are reasonably priced, I was actually thinking of going with a shorter fork and shock. I can find the right sized DNM shock I want that has the heavy spring I need. I'd like to get the DNM fork, but it's hard to find here in the states.

I'll post pictures of everything once I take a few more, and resize them (or host them).

If you've ever done something like this, or have any suggestions, feel free to chime in.

Old 03-19-2022, 06:58 PM   #2

So, tore the bike down to clean it up today. Found a plug loose, and figured that was the problem. Still wasn't getting anything from the bike, and investigated further. Found a bunch of wires cut coming off the stator. Foundd a few more wires with tape on connections. Some of these may have had bullet plugs on them, but I'm just starting over. Thankfully, I have another harness sitting around that I can use. Some of my upgraded parts are ready to go, but I have to modify my coil to work. I wish I could post the full sized pictures. Lol

Old 03-25-2022, 12:53 PM   #3

https://photos.app.goo.gl/aF3vidfyim5vTPMaA

Made and Album to track the progress so far. Still trying to sort out the wire harness. Thinking I can cut out the battery power and ground, since it won't be used, and not have any problems.

Old 03-26-2022, 10:02 AM   #4

Good luck and keep the pictures coming. Also, get the kid in there and let him get his hands dirty.
2016 Tao Tao 125D

Old 03-26-2022, 11:57 AM   #5

I have always liked the look of pitbikes converted to supermoto.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 04-11-2022, 01:15 PM   #6

Made an update to the album.

Started putting things back together.

A little backstory on what happened over the last few weeks:

The spare harness I has was made useless by the one cat I have who things that chewing on toilet paper rolls and plastic are fun. She didn't do a lot of damage to the harness, and actually removed the battery power and ground wire for me. Lol. but, the only other wire she tore up was the power wire to the CDI. I was over it, because it was on the Stator side of the harness, and not the chassis side.

I decided to just buy another Harness, specifically for kick start, so I didn't have to worry about removing wires. This one also came with a stator, but it caused problem later on.

Anyway, parts arrived. I went with a new shock (DNM MK-AR in 290mm), and fork (Generic Amazon fork in 700mm). I went shorter on the shock and fork than stock, as to make up for the 12" wheels. I don't think I threw off the geometry too much, but we shall find out.

I also bumped up from a 14 tooth stock front sprocket to a 16 tooth front sprocket. That, paired with the 39 tooth rear sprocket will either make me really slow, or make the bike feel decent. Thankfully, sprockets are cheap. I'll get over it, either way.

The bike also got the Nibbi PE24FL that was going on my kids X-moto. I decided the 110 didn't need upgrades, so it goes on this bike. lol. I also threw in a new plug. The very odd ATC7 had a three prong electrode, sort of like an e3 spark plug. Didn't matter to me. I'll trust my NGK more.

So, after installing the new stator and sprocket, I tried to install the cover. I was very obviously hitting on something, preventing the cover to go on correctly. After looking at a few things, I figured it was the bigger sprocket. Well okay then. Out comes the dremel, and I grind away. After making more than enough space, I test fit again, and I'm still hitting something. I check for sprocket clearance, and it looks clear. I try and figure where the jamb up is, and I deduce it's the freaking stator!!! I compare the old stator to the new stator, and the bracket for the magnetic pickup is bigger than on the original. It sticks out a little further than it should. Out comes the dremel again, and I grind it down. Another test fit, still not working! WTF?!?!? Looks like the stator itself is protruding more than the original. Well, I can't grind that down. Time to start on the cover. Again, with the dremel! After a bit more grinding, and three more tries to see where I sit, I finally get it. JEEZ!

After that, I install the carb and wire harness. Add some oil, because I know I'll forget. Then, clean the exterior of the fuel tank and test fit that, to see if the wire harness will hit it. Also, found out I need a few new bolts. I've lost the bolts that held the fuel tank, and one of the bolts for the shock stripped, I'm guessing on assembly from the previous owners.

I'm trying to install the rear tire myself, as I don't want to pay the price to get it mounted. lol. It's a PITA, though. I've gotten one side of the tire on, but the other end just won't go. It's like a need another hand, and the third bar to pry the damned thing over the edge. I'm gonna try the zip tie' gorilla tape trick after the front tire comes in. lol.

Anyway, my new suit is on the way, my kid's suit will be coming from Europe or Pakistan sometime soon. If this bike is running, then I'll start drilling him, and can hopefully get him racing soon.

Old 04-17-2022, 12:41 PM   #7

It's coming along. Still having problems here and there, but it's coming.

I've updated the album to show it's current condition.

Last edited by Falkon45; 04-18-2022 at 02:43 PM.

Old 05-28-2022, 12:20 AM   #8

Update since the last month: Got a little farther on the bike, and keep running into more problems. Lol.

Got everything together engine wise, start the engine, and it's noisier than hell. I figured the starter clutch was stuck engaged, as that's what it sounded like. Decided to just swap the engine out for a 140, and rebuild the 125 for later. Inspected the engine after removing it from the frame, and find to find out, the flywheel was hitting the pickup on the new stator I installed. I spun the engine over a few times to make sure everything cleared, but I guess higher centrifugal forces ate up the gap that was there.

Oh well, I now have a 140 to install. My other problem is the front brake. I'm trying to go to a 4 pot caliper, because reasons. Lol. Anyway, I've gone through two setups, and both have something wrong. Spacing radially and laterally. I'm looking into a 3rd bracket for the caliper. Other than that, the bike just needs the engine in, and it's ready to run and tune.

Old 05-28-2022, 12:23 AM   #9

Also, added to the album

Old 07-30-2022, 08:53 PM   #10

Well, it's been a while since I've updated.

Got the bike running today. I kept having an issue with the carb leaking fuel out the intake side. I didn't think that months of this thing sitting on the front porch, that bugs would start trying to build nests in orifice. Something built a home in the vent on the top of the carb, and that caused the leak. Bike is running, and going to the track tomorrow.

Old 08-03-2022, 11:42 PM   #11

Bike, as it sits now

https://photos.app.goo.gl/mDnMjMD9o2umdGq98

Went to the track with the little one, and bit, did this thing put in some work. I have a few things to sort out. I need an oil cooler, and need to figure out the master cylinder, but the bike gets the job done. I may end up swapping the fork set. Apparently, I can run a 735mm fork, and still be good, since I have the 310mm shock.

Old 06-22-2023, 11:59 AM   #12

I joined the site so far just to talk to u about ur cool bike and ask you some questions! I just got a new tao 140cc dbx1 and I think has the same head tube as you and wondering what you think of the Amazon fork and modifications you needed to do to connect it.

I’ll also be looking for those wheels and wondering if uve had good experience with them.

Old 06-22-2023, 05:01 PM   #13

Looks dope! I know I want something like this now

Old 09-09-2023, 08:40 AM   #14

It's been a while

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hummina View Post
I joined the site so far just to talk to u about ur cool bike and ask you some questions! I just got a new tao 140cc dbx1 and I think has the same head tube as you and wondering what you think of the Amazon fork and modifications you needed to do to connect it.

I’ll also be looking for those wheels and wondering if uve had good experience with them.
Howdy!!

So, I've since tore the bike apart again, and it's been sitting for nearly a year. I bought a DNM fork, and a new triple tree, but I need new bearings to get the triple to fit into the head tube. The 140 is also being weird, so the 125 might go back in.

I've been having problems with jobs, cars, and people since April, so I haven't done much on it recently.

Old 11-18-2023, 11:29 AM   #15

It’s a dope little bike.
Honda CB350
Honda CL450
Tyrion the Pit Bike