Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2022, 09:13 AM   #1

Battery installed backwards

So yeah I was that guy.
I went out and bought a lithium battery to change the original in my CSC TT 250.
After work I proceeded to do the change and as I was fastening the "negative" side on the new battery I saw a bright red flash coming from the fuse box. After that I realized that the new battery had the poles reversed in position compared to the original, the new had color caps but I removed them earlier when I unboxed it.
So after being so dumb I changed the fuse with the spare one and connected the battery right. Bike turned on fine and the battery seems to crank fine.
So I have a couple of questions:
  • Should I check something else on the bike related to the electrical system,? Today I will be checking the rectifier output.
  • Will a lithium battery be damaged for that short?
  • Is there rectifier upgrade in case I need to change mine?
Thanks!

Old 03-02-2022, 09:45 AM   #2

My bet is the fuse was the only damage. Go out and ride.
Mods so far- Brozz swingarm, 21" front rim (Bridgestone Tw302 rear/Dunlop D606 front tires), Digital gauge cluster, pz30b pumper carb, after market hand guards, aftermarket brake and clutch levers, round fold away mirrors, Fly handlebars shortened slightly, 13t front sprocket
2009 Q-link Legacy 250
1982 Suzuki GS1100ES - "Jolene"

Old 03-02-2022, 09:46 AM   #3

You'll be fine. That's what the fuse is for, to protect the electrical system in case of a short.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 03-02-2022, 10:12 AM   #4

Don't feel bad.. when i was putting the Titan together, the way the battery was situated and where the cables were resting near the terminals, i just connected without paying attention to the polarity at each terminal.. well after blowing several fuses and pulling my hair out trying to trace wiring for a short, i finally realized my error lol and was so happy when i put the last fuse back in and it didn't immediately pop.

Former China Bikes: Tao DBX1, Brozz 250, CSC RX4, Titan DLX, Templar X

Old 03-02-2022, 03:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tknj99 View Post
Don't feel bad.. when i was putting the Titan together, the way the battery was situated and where the cables were resting near the terminals, i just connected without paying attention to the polarity at each terminal.. well after blowing several fuses and pulling my hair out trying to trace wiring for a short, i finally realized my error lol and was so happy when i put the last fuse back in and it didn't immediately pop.
If it wasn't for the red flash in the fuse box I would have been totally lost too.

It looks like everything is fine, today I tested some voltages and got:
Bike on, lights off, motor off: 13.2 at battery
Bike on, lights on, motor off: 13.1 at battery
Bike on, lights on, motor on: 13.51 at battery @ idle, 13.82 @ 4.5k rpm throttle blip

After seeing the electrical system layout I was over worrying to much, it seems very basic. Can it be possible to run this platform with the old capacitor trick instead of battery?(Just for knowing)

Last edited by cctt; 03-02-2022 at 03:45 PM. Reason: adding quote

Old 03-02-2022, 09:28 PM   #6

Fuse did its job. If you want to know about the old trick to see if it works, well just try it out! Why not?? You are asking questions in doubt over a simple fuse blowing, so you now you wanna know if you can run this ride based on curiosity? Hell, try it out yourself. Tell us all how well it goes for ya......

Don't get ahead of yourself. You come across as a fella asking about an oil change on an old Mustang, and next you have done gone into full engine rebuild wondering if Wesson cooking oil would work for break in...

Baby steps if you are wandering into the unknown

Old 03-03-2022, 01:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExMxer View Post
Fuse did its job. If you want to know about the old trick to see if it works, well just try it out! Why not?? You are asking questions in doubt over a simple fuse blowing, so you now you wanna know if you can run this ride based on curiosity? Hell, try it out yourself. Tell us all how well it goes for ya......

Don't get ahead of yourself. You come across as a fella asking about an oil change on an old Mustang, and next you have done gone into full engine rebuild wondering if Wesson cooking oil would work for break in...

Baby steps if you are wandering into the unknown
It was just curiosity, without the electric starter my rides will be 50% starting it since my kick skills are very bad

Old 03-03-2022, 01:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cctt View Post
It was just curiosity, without the electric starter my rides will be 50% starting it since my kick skills are very bad
My kick skills suck something awful……. Thank God I live on a hill

Old 03-03-2022, 05:54 PM   #9

Wondering why the fuse blew, if the battery is connected the right way around it would see the rectifier as an open circuit, the wrong way around and the battery would see a short circuit and blow the fuse. Damage could arise with the high current through the rectifier diodes if the fuse is slow, but if there were no rectifier as soon as you turned on the ignition you would blow your electronic ignition system unless it was reverse polarity protected which I doubt on motor cycles.

Tags
battery, lithium, short