Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2016, 02:18 PM   #16

For some one who does a lot of dirt riding ordering a spare engine would sure make a lot of sense. or even a club to get a couple for those times that nothing but a replacement will do.

Old 08-07-2016, 03:07 PM   #17

I can confirm that the oil pump sprockets and chain used in the Lifan 163FML-2 (balance shaft CG200) are the same as those used in the Zongshen CSC TT250. I put them in today and they are identical.

I pulled the head and cylinder off the 07 Lifan engine for the first time today after 53,000 miles. Very little carbon build up, rings are free, no cylinder ridge, wrist pin still snug, no play in the big end bearing. Everything looks like it'll go another 50,000 miles. I'll pop out the valves to clean them up, put in new gaskets, check the ring end gap, then button it back up.

Old 08-07-2016, 04:38 PM   #18

Ring end gap measured at .012". Not sure what Lifan specs are but Honda CG125 is .020". Should be at least that being a bigger bore so it's good to go.

Don't think I'll split the case since I'm not sure I can find a case gasket for the balance shaft engine, and not sure the TT250 gasket would fit.

Old 08-07-2016, 09:07 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudflap View Post
Ring end gap measured at .012". Not sure what Lifan specs are but Honda CG125 is .020". Should be at least that being a bigger bore so it's good to go.

Don't think I'll split the case since I'm not sure I can find a case gasket for the balance shaft engine, and not sure the TT250 gasket would fit.
I don't know what spec Lifan uses either, but, almost since the beginning of recorded time, the top ring gap should be 0.005 inch per inch of cylinder bore, 0.004 for the next lower ring, and a little less yet for the oil control ring. It is a good idea to look at the ring lands of the piston to make sure there are no drag marks on there. Use a magnifying glass. If any up and down marks show, gently file them away with a very fine file. If, when you look carefully at the outside of the ring, there are no gray or brown spots, and it meets the criteria above, there is no need to replace them.

Old 08-08-2016, 09:50 AM   #20

I've been asked about the centrifugal oil filter and what holds it in place so here is a pic. The washer is a flattened cone shaped spring washer with one side stamped "out side". It's the same on all CG engines I've worked on. BTW on the balance shaft engines the nut on the balance shaft gear is a left hand thread.

Old 08-08-2016, 12:18 PM   #21

Quote:
I can confirm that the oil pump sprockets and chain used in the Lifan 163FML-2 (balance shaft CG200) are the same as those used in the Zongshen CSC TT250. I put them in today and they are identical.

I pulled the head and cylinder off the 07 Lifan engine for the first time today after 53,000 miles. Very little carbon build up, rings are free, no cylinder ridge, wrist pin still snug, no play in the big end bearing. Everything looks like it'll go another 50,000 miles. I'll pop out the valves to clean them up, put in new gaskets, check the ring end gap, then button it back up.
Awesome! IIRC, you've been on the hunt for those parts for some time.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-08-2016, 12:20 PM   #22

Quote:
You could always use Three Bond. Also, if you split the case, you'd have an opportunity to see if an XR200R six speed would drop in.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-08-2016, 12:50 PM   #23

Quote:
I've been asked about the centrifugal oil filter and what holds it in place so here is a pic. The washer is a flattened cone shaped spring washer with one side stamped "out side". It's the same on all CG engines I've worked on. BTW on the balance shaft engines the nut on the balance shaft gear is a left hand thread.

That cone shaped spring steel washer is called a Belleville Washer.

Old 10-26-2016, 10:09 AM   #24

Mudflap, you may be able to help me with an issue. I have the same engine but having a heck of a time trying to get the header to seal to the block on my engine, always has a exhaust leak. I've been on a bunch of sites seeing various parts lists for the header but was wondering what you had on yours.

At this point I have just the pipe and a Honda copper compression exhaust seal. Some parts list show a two part washer pressing aginst the seal, some show just the exhaust gasket. Just trying to figure out the best combination and making sure I'm not missing something.

Old 10-26-2016, 11:43 AM   #25

I use the stock header pipe on the Lifan GY5 as well as the Roketa and Taotao quad. They all use the standard copper gasket except for the Lifan where I used a gasket made from a piece of exhaust gasket material from the auto parts store. All seal fine. Any chance you have an old gasket stuck in there with the new one, causing it to leak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralTso View Post
Mudflap, you may be able to help me with an issue. I have the same engine but having a heck of a time trying to get the header to seal to the block on my engine, always has a exhaust leak. I've been on a bunch of sites seeing various parts lists for the header but was wondering what you had on yours.

At this point I have just the pipe and a Honda copper compression exhaust seal. Some parts list show a two part washer pressing aginst the seal, some show just the exhaust gasket. Just trying to figure out the best combination and making sure I'm not missing something.

Old 10-26-2016, 12:04 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralTso View Post

Did you forget to add a dab of this around the header pipe before assembling, and of course "let it set" for 24 or so hours ?

https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-8187...dp/B0002UEOPA/

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 10-26-2016, 12:24 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhule View Post
Did you forget to add a dab of this around the header pipe before assembling, and of course "let it set" for 24 or so hours ?

https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-8187...dp/B0002UEOPA/
Forget? I didn't even think to use anything like that, never had to with my other bikes but I guess this is a CB world now .

So does it goes between the head pipe and the gasket or the gasket and the exhaust port?

Old 10-26-2016, 01:53 PM   #28

I usually just do a little "ring" all the way around the outside of the pipe that will be sliding into the next peace, most times not even 1/4" long and as thin as my gloved up fingers can make.

Also make sure your have any and all older gaskets/materials OFF/Out of the area to be sealed, it's sometimes easy to double stack copper crush gaskets and not realize it I cant remember if you found a gasket when you started taking things apart and rebuilding ?? ... oh, what did you torque those nuts/bolts to (I forget if you even had nuts/bolts to torque on that project bike or if it was "custom spring loaded")?

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 10-26-2016, 02:48 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhule View Post
I usually just do a little "ring" all the way around the outside of the pipe that will be sliding into the next peace, most times not even 1/4" long and as thin as my gloved up fingers can make.

Also make sure your have any and all older gaskets/materials OFF/Out of the area to be sealed, it's sometimes easy to double stack copper crush gaskets and not realize it I cant remember if you found a gasket when you started taking things apart and rebuilding ?? ... oh, what did you torque those nuts/bolts to (I forget if you even had nuts/bolts to torque on that project bike or if it was "custom spring loaded")?
I have the head all cleaned out good and have those little cap bolts as seen in mudflap's pic. But no idea how hard to torque them and don't want to snap the studs, they feel delicate.

Its just so annoying, never have had this problem getting a pipe to seat which had me thinking I was missing a piece or something.

Old 10-26-2016, 06:11 PM   #30

I torque the exhaust nuts to 15 ft lb, going by the Honda factory CG125 service manual. Also it's important to install the exhaust system in the right order. Install header first, snug exhaust nuts finger tight to make sure the flange is seated squarely on the gasket. Then install the rest of the system loosly, torque the exhaust nuts, then tighten the rest of the exhaust mounting bolts.