Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2021, 03:58 PM   #16

J4Fun

It is looking like you r right. I bypassed the kill switch actually it started right up. I rode it approximately 1 mile and it blew the fuse again. Is there anyway i can test this to make sure? If it was the coil it would not have started again correct? Im at a loss here with the electrical. Please help!!

Old 09-23-2021, 07:25 PM   #17

It is looking like you r right. I bypassed the kill switch actually it started right up. I rode it approximately 1 mile and it blew the fuse again. Is there anyway i can test this to make sure? If it was the coil it would not have started again correct? Im at a loss here with the electrical. Please help!!
09-21-2021 03:38 PM

Old 06-07-2022, 07:53 PM   #18

I bought a new Hawk prox 250 just put it together didn't get 6 miles out of it and felt like it ran out of gas.. So I towed it back to my shop and started tearing it apart, found that the 15 amp fuse was blown so I replaced it and just blew again as soon as I hit kill switch.. I stripped the wire harness down and found that the fuel pump plug only has power and no ground. I tried power and ground to pump and it was fine worked like a charm. Traced the red wire with a grey tracer that was ground from pump plug to ecm ...no ground, so my guess is the ecm. Going to call tomorrow... Ps only had bike 1 day

Old 06-07-2022, 10:39 PM   #19

Just curious: Hasn't the Hawk always been a "problem bike that needed work right out of the box to get it to run properly? I don't think I've heard ANYTHING really positive about them. Even the youtube vids I've seen seem to confirm this.

Yet, so many people buy them, anyway.

olds_cool63
=======
Johnny Pag Pagsta (replaced 50cc engine with 110cc, modded-out)
2007 Tank Vision Topline Khaos (cosmetic mods, cherry-bombs)
2005 Kymco Vitality 50 2T (70cc big bore kit, other race mods...tops out at 67mph)
2008 Hyosung GT250 (cosmetic mods)
2001 Suzuki Bandit GFS1200S (cosmetic and slight mods...150mph+)

Old 06-08-2022, 12:45 AM   #20

I have a Hawk DLX that I've been riding for the past year (2k+ miles), and I haven't had any issues with it.
2021 Hawk 150 (RPS Viper)

Old 07-22-2022, 08:52 AM   #21

I have the same problem. If I unplug the ECU and plug it back in, it will work fine for a short period but then goes back to blowing fuses when I ride more than a mile or two. I assume it's the ECU and my vendor said they would send another one (waiting for it at this time). I think it's possible to also be the stater sending too much juice but the Delphi ECU says it can handle 21v and the most I've got while revving the bike is 14.5v. Another reason I think ECU is no fault codes come up. I would think a component shorting out would give a fault code. If I get the ECU and it rectifies the problem, I'll post

Old 09-26-2022, 11:26 PM   #22

Did the new ECU work for you???? My Hawk Dlx is a 2022 with 186 miles and it's doing the exact samething happened after I got caught riding in the rain got it towed to the house and it hasn't started since

Old 06-12-2023, 09:42 PM   #23

Any luck?

Old 06-17-2023, 08:28 AM   #24

One way to blow a fuse

Good Morning China Riders!

I was out riding at 5000+ miles one day and had to make a sharp turn, but when I turned the handlebars all the way over, the bike just died and would not start back up. Good thing the hawk has that impressive little tool kit under the rear fender. I pulled the fascia off and found the blown fuse, so I replaced it with the spare. The bike started up but I had to finish turning it around, So I kill the engine in case leaving it off longer would get me home, put the fascia back on and I turn it around. When I go to start it up, nothing. I suspect the headlight, which blew so I'd been riding around with wimpy bright that comes with the hawk. So I disconnect the headlight, but now my only spare fuse is gone.

Trail Tip - Do you know a bad idea when you have one?

So I get my pocket knife out and cut up one of the blown fuses. I take the leg and jam it in place of the blown fusible of the other, intact but blown fuse. So I can complete the circuit but I'm no longer protecting that part of my electrical system. I CAN start the bike again. After popping the fascia off and on again. I get on the bike a go in a hurry. No headlight, no real fuse. If I can just get back to the garage, I can sort this out. Sun is setting, hurry hurry.

Shop Tip - Get spare screws and USE THEM!

Part of getting under the fascia is stripping the machine screw that holds it on. It just so happened that this was the ride that fascia screw stopped holding the fascia on. Halfway to the shop, a not-so-sexy ghost grabs my ankle, reaching down I feel the fascia has worked it's way out of it's home and is riding between my leg and the transmission case. Good grief! Can I please just make it back to the shop!

Riding gingerly, I arrive at the shop, harried, but safe and sound. When I get there I borrow a mate's truck and head to that parts store. Get the new headlight and a 20-pack of 15 amp fuses. Of course I'm eye-balling the headlight connection, hoping I pick the right one.

Check for shorts - It's easy to nick a wire

Back at the garage, I swap out the light, but still blow a fuse. Playing around with new fuses and turning the engine over, I get intermittent success and failure. So let's disconnect things until the problem goes away. After disconnecting everything under the instrument cluster, I notice a 12 V supply line wandered it's way into the crevice of the open turn stop and it's sliced open, intermittently contacting the frame. There's the problem. So all I needed was some heat shrink to seal up the wire and then to tuck it safely into a place where it wouldn't get chopped with the turning of the handle bars. Problem solved!

Old 06-17-2023, 12:28 PM   #25

Keep it simple

For me the attraction to the Chinese bikes is their simplicity, especially in the electronics department. This is why I would never consider a bike from any maker that had EFI, the systems are too fragile and hard to trouble shoot, a decade from now very few will still be on the road while the carb models will still be chugging along just fine.
Maybe someday that'll change, but for now I say the EFI bikes are all a bad bet, you'll have trouble sourcing Chinese parts for them and the Japanese bikes will be too expensive to fix.
This is why I own an old airhead BMW, every year it will be worth more while the new ones lose their value as the parts costs make them too expensive to keep going.
1969 Honda 90
1966 Honda CT200

Old 06-17-2023, 11:13 PM   #26

Well said commander,Carburetor only for me too.

Old 08-11-2023, 11:11 AM   #27

Was the "no ground" issue resolved? I too have red/white stripe from fuel pump to ECM with no ground, good FP relay and power to pump. No ground.