Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2021, 04:49 AM   #1

Question CSC SG250 Advice Needed

I'm planning on buying a CSC SG250 as my first bike soon, and I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice on how to increase the performance of the bike. I was already thinking of getting the jet kit and the K&N air filter that CSC sells. However, the K&N air filter says that it's for the Mustang 150cc motorcycle so I was wondering if anyone could recommend other filters or ways of increasing airflow that would work on the 250. Another question that I had is if anyone knows of a better-than-stock exhaust system that would fit the bike? I would also appreciate any other suggestions that anyone has to increase performance. Thanks for the help in advance!

Old 03-05-2021, 07:12 AM   #2

If this is your first motorcycle, I will suggest leaving the SG259 as stock and just ride it.
If you are new to motorcycle riding the learning curve is more demanding than the driving a car.

The SG250 is the enjoyable motorcycle ,

Enjoy
Arthur

Old 03-05-2021, 10:00 PM   #3

Break it in properly. That is the first way to maximize power.
- Once the SG is broken in, we can move on to the next steps.

Old 03-06-2021, 09:40 AM   #4

It's a good bike as it is; start off with it stock. At least leave it be through the break-in period.

Sometimes people go swapping this and that and then it won't run right. Then they're chasing their tails back on here asking a dozen questions. Don't do that to yourself just yet.

Old 03-06-2021, 01:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckard_Cain View Post
It's a good bike as it is; start off with it stock. At least leave it be through the break-in period.

Sometimes people go swapping this and that and then it won't run right. Then they're chasing their tails back on here asking a dozen questions. Don't do that to yourself just yet.
YES, THIS! ^^^^^^^^

The air filter will be fine as the engines are generally the same thing regardless of displacement.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 03-08-2021, 07:28 PM   #6

If you pay attention to the above advice, you will have gained from their cumulative years of experience without all the trials and tribulations that they made when they were starting to ride. I agree with them that leaving it 'factory' for a while, getting it and you broken into each other to the point where you are comfortable in most situations is good advice that will maximize your learning and comfort. IOW wait a bit before you try to turn the SG into something it was not designed to do. Perhaps consider it as a starter that you leave as-is, and then pass on to the next owner if/when you feel the need for more speed and power.
I have been riding on and off since ~1970, so have a few miles on the clock, and find that faster is not always more fun. If you are always riding at 9/10ths, you miss the show as you have to pay so much attention to grip, cornering, etc. Slower can be just as much fun and maybe more engaging at times.
tom

edit added...
I have a 2019 CSC SG250 and the only thing I am considering is some carb fiddling. I'd rather be riding than mucking around looking for that last bit of performance and that tiny tenth of a hp...

Old 03-08-2021, 10:11 PM   #7
Banned

Whats your level of mechanical experience?

Not to play devils advocate here but I guarantee my TBR7 will never turn a single revolution as stock.

In fact many of these bikes run lean as hell stock, and I would never let my engine run lean, ever.

Carb swap, intake port match, exhaust port polish, pro circuit or better exhaust, quality pod filter with no port obstructions, proper jetting, plug upgrade off the top of my head.

Most of these bikes perform better with taller gearing than stock.

Why not tap the potential from the get go?

If you truly have the skills there is nothing wrong with playing with your new toy.

Old 03-08-2021, 11:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnyte Ryder View Post

Not to play devils advocate here but I guarantee my TBR7 will never turn a single revolution as stock.

In fact many of these bikes run lean as hell stock, and I would never let my engine run lean, ever.

Carb swap, intake port match, exhaust port polish, pro circuit or better exhaust, quality pod filter with no port obstructions, proper jetting, plug upgrade off the top of my head.

If you truly have the skills there is nothing wrong with playing with your new toy.
All good points, but you are talking about a TBR7, which is in the same league as the Hawk. Both require fiddling from the get-go because the manufacturers set them lean to pass US emissions and use the cheapest carbs they can find. We are talking about a $5 saving which I am sure consumers would be happy to pay for a decent stock carb (I believe the Hawks now come with OK carbs) The CSC bikes are fully assembled and PDI'd by CSC, so generally run fine from new. Suggested to let them be for several hundred miles until break-in.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 03-08-2021, 11:49 PM   #9
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
All good points, but you are talking about a TBR7, which is in the same league as the Hawk. Both require fiddling from the get-go because the manufacturers set them lean to pass US emissions and use the cheapest carbs they can find. We are talking about a $5 saving which I am sure consumers would be happy to pay for a decent stock carb (I believe the Hawks now come with OK carbs) The CSC bikes are fully assembled and PDI'd by CSC, so generally run fine from new. Suggested to let them be for several hundred miles until break-in.
Fully assembled and pdi'd by whom? $9 an hour guy? If so then no thanks.

Suggested for several hundred miles by whom? As a factory certified tech of a major brand I am suggesting that anyone with enough skill is fine to mod a brand new bike. It happens literally every day. I understand that some hobbyists might be apprehensive but not all people are the same.

I also understand what you are saying but with all due respect he didnt ask if he should modify it. He asked what might be good things to modify. With experience, everytging I mentioned can be applied to his bike without a doubt.

Forums have a tendency to answer questions in a manner that dismiss the actual question. He wanted mod suggestions not advice on whether or not to mod it. Many folks should not, but that wasnt the question.

Old 03-09-2021, 12:19 AM   #10

Quote:

I agree with this. These bikes are healthier with a few minor upgrades. As long as it's done properly.

Old 03-09-2021, 11:28 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssnlacher View Post
I'm planning on buying a CSC SG250 as my first bike soon, and I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice on how to increase the performance of the bike. I was already thinking of getting the jet kit and the K&N air filter that CSC sells. However, the K&N air filter says that it's for the Mustang 150cc motorcycle so I was wondering if anyone could recommend other filters or ways of increasing airflow that would work on the 250. Another question that I had is if anyone knows of a better-than-stock exhaust system that would fit the bike? I would also appreciate any other suggestions that anyone has to increase performance. Thanks for the help in advance!
Thanks for the advice everyone! I think that it probably is best if I keep it stock for a while as you all brought up some good points. Also, I really appreciate all of you helping me out because I'm just getting into motorcycles and I've been having a lot of trouble learning more about them so this helps a lot.

Old 03-10-2021, 09:36 AM   #12

Quote:

Putting proper jets in so that it runs properly isn't really a modification though; it's tuning it as it is. Same with a new air filter or spark plug...

You make all good points, I don't generally disagree.

Quote:
Fully assembled and pdi'd by whom? $9 an hour guy? If so then no thanks.

Suggested for several hundred miles by whom? As a factory certified tech of a major brand I am suggesting that anyone with enough skill is fine to mod a brand new bike. It happens literally every day. I understand that some hobbyists might be apprehensive but not all people are the same.

I also understand what you are saying but with all due respect he didnt ask if he should modify it. He asked what might be good things to modify. With experience, everytging I mentioned can be applied to his bike without a doubt.

Forums have a tendency to answer questions in a manner that dismiss the actual question. He wanted mod suggestions not advice on whether or not to mod it. Many folks should not, but that wasnt the question.
CSC techs a fair bit better than those $9/hr tire jockeys. lol. But yeah, you're right about how forums are; I think in this case, we all veered that direction though because he did say it was his first bike.

One could extrapolate that it being his first bike, and even asking the question implies he doesn't have a ton of mechanical experience that can be applied here, if he did, likely he would already know the answers to his questions.

Which is why I at least, went the way I did with my reply.

Old 03-10-2021, 07:51 PM   #13

My favorite mod as a new rider is to the mileage on the odometer. Make those numbers go up as often as you can! (Safely, please!)
Riding the bike for a little while will help you figure out what matters. You may want more power now, but you may find that it's adequate after you ride it some and instead opt to spend your money on racks, or other mods. I do agree that making sure it runs well is the priority, so if rejetting or carb swapping will help it run better, there is nothing wrong with jumping in, as long as you are comfortable with the process. Make sure to post your mods as you go so others can learn from your experience.

Old 03-11-2021, 07:49 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradogoose View Post
My favorite mod as a new rider is to the mileage on the odometer. Make those numbers go up as often as you can! (Safely, please!)
Riding the bike for a little while will help you figure out what matters. You may want more power now, but you may find that it's adequate after you ride it some and instead opt to spend your money on racks, or other mods. I do agree that making sure it runs well is the priority, so if rejetting or carb swapping will help it run better, there is nothing wrong with jumping in, as long as you are comfortable with the process. Make sure to post your mods as you go so others can learn from your experience.
^ THIS!

It's the best change you can make to the bike (and it changes the rider too).

I also like to ride a new bike stock/as-is for a while so that if something is modded or changed down the road, I have a baseline for comparison.

Old 03-11-2021, 09:43 AM   #15

If you are going to fiddle with jetting, you may REALLY want to set up a record keeping sheet so you know where you have been already and don't try the same thing two or three times. It is easy to forget what you did and actually, what jets you have in right now. If they are a good set, fitting your conditions, you are more likely to remember, but will have the occasional "I forget" moment. If you put it on paper, how it worked, impressions of performance, rough weather(rain/dry, cold/hot depending) for a given jet, it will give you some information as to which 'way to go' on the next go round.
tom

Tags
csc, csc sg250, mods, new rider, performance