Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2016, 12:30 PM   #46

Modding is half the fun! Looks great!

Neutral - Yep...it's not getting much easier to find when hot. Cold, no problem. At a dead stop, I noticed that it's easier to find from second gear. I've just created a habit of clicking into neutral in the last 10 feet rolling up to a stop.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 10-03-2016, 07:38 PM   #47

Break-in is complete

Did a ride with a buddy of mine yesterday who has owned tons of bikes, raced MX and track and he was super impressed with the RX3. He's going to be tracking it and has a few friends who he will recommend it to if I find it holds up well. Today I did a LONG ride to get me to the 500 miles mark on the bikes so that tomorrow I can do the chain adjustment and the dreaded valve check/adjust. Here are some photo's from the two days rides. Today was very scenic. I took the Mukilteo-Clinton Ferry out to Whidbey Island and drove the length of it coming out a Deception Pass. I then worked my way home on a back road highway. Great day on the bike.

Yesterday: http://s1042.photobucket.com/user/jo...?sort=2&page=1
Today: http://s1042.photobucket.com/user/jo...?sort=2&page=1

Old 10-03-2016, 08:25 PM   #48

Thanks for sharing the photos, Joe. I always enjoyed that part of the country in warm weather. Brought back good memories.

Old 10-03-2016, 10:57 PM   #49

2x

I'm a sign reader, historical markers etc.thanks
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 10-05-2016, 12:55 AM   #50

Broken-in

Since I got my 500 miles in yesterday I spent time today doing a couple of things. First, I decided that I didn't like how i wired my USB adapter directly to the battery and instead spoke with Gerry at CSC and he told me about a white plug with 6 wires where the brown wires was switched 12v and the green are ground. The plug was perfect to crimp some spade connectors on and the plugged right in and it worked perfectly.

Next, I did the adjustment of the chain and wheel alignment. Kind of a pain as I'd never done this before but I got it done.

Lastly I got to have the joy of doing the valve adjustment. Actually it wasn't terrible. Maybe because I'm a small guy and I can actually fit my hands in those tight spots.

Now I'm ready to do some real rides!

Old 10-05-2016, 10:44 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjmartin View Post
Since I got my 500 miles in yesterday I spent time today doing a couple of things. First, I decided that I didn't like how i wired my USB adapter directly to the battery and instead spoke with Gerry at CSC and he told me about a white plug with 6 wires where the brown wires was switched 12v and the green are ground. The plug was perfect to crimp some spade connectors on and the plugged right in and it worked perfectly.

Next, I did the adjustment of the chain and wheel alignment. Kind of a pain as I'd never done this before but I got it done.

Lastly I got to have the joy of doing the valve adjustment. Actually it wasn't terrible. Maybe because I'm a small guy and I can actually fit my hands in those tight spots.

Now I'm ready to do some real rides!
How were the valves? Did you actually have to adjust any of them or were they all pretty much correct?

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 10-05-2016, 11:30 AM   #52

Intake valves were perfect but the exhaust valves were too tight and I had to adjust them. The tutorial on the CSC site says to gap to .06 but the service manual says .08 so I called Gerry and he said to use .08mm.

Old 10-05-2016, 02:32 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjmartin View Post
Intake valves were perfect but the exhaust valves were too tight and I had to adjust them. The tutorial on the CSC site says to gap to .06 but the service manual says .08 so I called Gerry and he said to use .08mm.
Yep, mine are coming up again soon. If they haven't moved since my last setting, I'll leave them for a while.

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 10-14-2016, 08:35 PM   #54

More Farkles

After receiving my $380 credit from CSC for their retroactive sales credit I ordered and today received the side stand pad and my Tourfella luggage.

The side stand pad is very nice and was just a drop in and screw down. Looks good and is very substantial. I put some loctite on the screws to make sure it stays together.

As others have said about the Tourfella luggage, they look very nice. Only a single of nit on the luggage itself. I wish it had the same removal feature as seen on the BMW type moto's. I'm going to put in liners so it's easy to empty the contents to turn the side or bottom thumb wheels to remove them.

Now, also as others have said, the quality of the luggage rack is pretty bad. On mine, it had lots of nicks and such with paint missing, the threads were not cleaned up and I had to use my tap/die set to clean them so the bolts would thread in. there is no documentation so it takes a bit to figure out which bolts to use for each place, and the orientation of the various pieces. There were some washers and some lock nuts but not enough for all of them and without directions I used them where it made sense to me. finally as previously discussed, the rack is built incorrectly for the RX3 such that the left turn signal presses up against the luggage and actually has to bend out of the way. As another on this forum did, I ended up putting in a long bolt/nut combo to wedge away the mount to clear it from the light. works fine but not ideal and it leaves the luggage slightly canted inward on that side.

I added some photo's to my Farkle Photobucket: http://s1042.photobucket.com/user/jo...?sort=2&page=1

Take care!

Old 10-16-2016, 02:04 AM   #55

Tires and offroad gearing

During stormageddon here is Seattle I spent the day in the garage and got my Shinko 244s on the bike and also got the 13T/45T cogs on there. I can confirm that the stock 110 link chain works just fine with the 13/45 combo.

Only project left is the side stand cut-off switch installation. That's tomorrows project where I find the perfect spot, drill and tap to screw it in and then wire it up.

http://s1042.photobucket.com/user/jo...?sort=2&page=1

Old 11-05-2016, 01:27 PM   #56

More Farkles

I got a set of DoubleTake adventure mirrors on the RX3 a few days ago. Had an issue where the right side ball mount and RAM clamp hit the master cylinder so I had to order a base extension. It all works perfectly now. Really like the mirrors, easy of adjustment and mostly the ability to get them out of the way offroad or for them to get themselves out of the way in a crash without breaking. Though I haven't had to experience that test yet!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0781.jpg (94.5 KB, 682 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0782.jpg (93.8 KB, 662 views)

Tags
bike prep, farkles, rx3