Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2006, 07:10 PM   #1

Need info on 50cc ATV

It is an SLA50, looks like the little lifan OHC Honda clone motor with horizontal cylinder.

Does anyone know if this is a six volt or twelve volt ATV? It's electric start. I need a battery in it to get it to start. I'm thinking it's 12V, but wanna make sure. Guy brought it to me, has no fire, no battery. He said he was jumping it to get it started and apparently didn't burn up the starter so I'm guessing it's 12V. But, he might have fried everything, but the starter by jumping it. Once I'm sure of the voltage of the system, I'll figure out the problem.

Old 11-21-2006, 10:39 PM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to RPM
I just PM'd you about a possible fix. If you pull a bulb out, taking in account that it has lights, the base of the bulb will tell you 12V or 6V, my bet will be 12.
Good luck!

Old 11-22-2006, 01:44 AM   #3

Isn´t SLA = SunL
I think so, you can find spare parts at SunL.com

Old 11-22-2006, 08:21 AM   #4

Hey tzridrer
Yup it may be a SunL, or another quad that another company purchases from the same manufacturer. It's a 12 volt system. If the guy that owns it jumped with a running vehicle most of the electrical/charging system may be shot. You will not get parts from SunL...they don't have parts to sell. I Was {and put a lot of emphasis on was} a SunL dealer. Received in new bikes and didn't ever get parts for them... stuff bad out of the box. Tom or I can get parts for this quad...did Tom help?
Thanks, Bruce @ E.J.Cycles
Hours: Tue.-Fri. 10:00-6:00 Sat. 10:00-4:00 EST.
Dealer for: Lifan, Crossrunner ATVs.
http://www.endlessjourneycycles.net

Old 11-22-2006, 10:16 AM   #5

Hey, Bruce!

I was thinking the same thing and actually PM'd tz on this same thought of it being a SunL. Most likely, like Bruce said, the CDI and/or stator will probably be burnt, but you can try a battery first to check for spark and go from there.

Old 11-22-2006, 10:22 AM   #6

Thanks guys. The bulb thing, DOH! :? Yeah, when he said he jumped it, I could see fried stuff everywhere in my mind. That's a good way to cost you a lot of money. If I have to jump a bike or something, I just do it with a lawn tractor battery. It's the car's charging system that kills everything, too much amp capacity.

I'll test the stator for continuity and hope it ain't shorted. If I can get it to run, I can test the stator output. I'll likely order a battery with whatever else is needed on the little thing. The ignition stuff is impossible to test and I told the guy that if I suspected the ignitor or coil, I'd just have to order both. the stator didn't enter my mind, though, as I was thinking ignition parts.

All in all, I prefer to work on stuff I have manuals for or can get them, but I'm the only one in a five county area that will mess with a Chinese machine. I've even done a Taskmaster farm tractor with a 3 cylinder knock off of a Perkins diesel. All in all, I prefer Briggs and Stratton, easy money. I just keep a lot of carb cleaner on hand.

Old 11-22-2006, 06:42 PM   #7

Well, this is it. It doesn't need any parts. Turned out to have a little moisture in the carb float bowl. I pulled the plug, checked for fire, it fired. I installed the plug, fired it up, ran rough for a bit and died. The plug fouled. Drained the fuel in the float bowl and tank and installed a fresh NGK plug, gassed it up, and couldn't make it die after that. So, just another carb/fuel problem. :roll:

Old 11-22-2006, 10:03 PM   #8

Easy fix, glad to hear that.
If you need a battery and can't find one locally, I can get you a replacement if you could give me the size of the box. Looks like a Sunl, alright. I have a 70 that I just replaced the CDI in my shop this morning that looks just like it.
Good job!