Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Everything Else
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2016, 06:25 PM   #1

Go kart Engine preference

Hey Guys,
I'm probably going to order a Go Kart for my little ones Christmas in the morning from Family Go Karts.com. I'm wondering what you guys think is the best choice as far as engines. Would you go with the 110 or 125cc Horizontal Honda Motorcycle type clone (which are good motors I have no doubt) Or would you go with the 196cc 6.5hp (again Honda Clone) type engine. I'm thinking I want to go with the later, as if the engine ever goes south a trip to harbor freight and 120 bucks later and I can have a Predator Replacement for it. Which I know my way around those, I used to race one on a dirt oval. We were getting right near 13hp at about 5800 rpm out of those suckers. But are there any advantages to the motorcyle type engine they have on them?
Thoughts?

Old 11-23-2016, 08:53 PM   #2

I would go with the Honda go type clone over the horizontal one .

Old 11-23-2016, 09:07 PM   #3

12.06 hp claimed on this 8.11ft lbs torque http://www.ebay.com/itm/LIFAN-150CC-...25.m3641.l6368

This is how I would go about it, compare claimed hp and torque numbers.

Above is a bit much power for your application I guess, but you get my point
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 11-24-2016, 08:09 AM   #4

I would go with the latter also. If you were looking at larger ones I would suggest the GY6 scooter style.

Old 11-24-2016, 11:32 AM   #5

Something about sound the vertical utility motors (like the GC) make is perfect. They're cheap and reliable, and you already have experience with them. Feels like a good fit.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-24-2016, 10:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Something about sound the vertical utility motors (like the GC) make is perfect. They're cheap and reliable, and you already have experience with them. Feels like a good fit.
Besides the racing go karts (the kind with the racing slicks), are there vertical engine options for the off-road buggy type of go karts? I am asking about for 'little ones' as Letsride asked about. All of the common 150cc or 200cc (or smaller) engines found in the buggies are GY6 scooter style engines.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 11-25-2016, 01:52 AM   #7

for a go kart I would go with a CR500 or KX500
let the fun start...
PS... yer may need good med insurance...

77 Montesa Cota 348 MRR "Malcom Rathnell Replica"...

Current resto projects..
81 Honda CT110...
80 Kawasaki KL250A1...

11 Husaburg TE125 enduro... "sold" along with another 31...
Lifan 125 Pitbike.. "stolen" ...

KIWI BIKER FORUM...... http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/content.php

All the best offroad rides in NZ...
http://www.remotemoto.com/

E-mail... xtpete1@gmail.com

Old 11-25-2016, 08:19 AM   #8

Pete, we tried to get a shifter kart class going but no one wanted to bite. As they are so expensive. The Little 6.5 Honda Clones were so cheap to play with and made good power and would carry the 350lb Kart (me included) around the track pretty darn quick. We even had a box stock class for the kids. You took the predator out of the box amd bolted it to the kart governor and all. Amd there was a fixed gear rule. It was a huge turn out for the kids and they had a ball. We would have 25 or 30 Karts on full green that looked like nascar on a pace lap. lots of fun while it lasted.

Old 11-25-2016, 12:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsride View Post
Pete, we tried to get a shifter kart class going but no one wanted to bite. As they are so expensive. The Little 6.5 Honda Clones were so cheap to play with and made good power and would carry the 350lb Kart (me included) around the track pretty darn quick. We even had a box stock class for the kids. You took the predator out of the box amd bolted it to the kart governor and all. Amd there was a fixed gear rule. It was a huge turn out for the kids and they had a ball. We would have 25 or 30 Karts on full green that looked like nascar on a pace lap. lots of fun while it lasted.
Any pics?
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 11-25-2016, 06:19 PM   #10

I do have pics on one of these mini SD cards around here somewhere. I'll try to find em.

Old 11-26-2016, 08:51 AM   #11

I picked up this from APSCusa and my son loves it. http://www.apscusa.com/New-Magnum-12...art_p_568.html

It has 3 forward gears and reverse. goes like stink. I would not want my son ( he is 5) in a 13 hp kart. I replaced the belts that came with the kart with 6 point harnesses. Also I got him a HANS device. The kart is very fast. Kids necks are not very strong and the helmets they wear are very heavy in relation to their bodies. So neck / spine injuries are a concern, hence the HANS. LEATT makes a nice neck restraint and it isn't $500+ like a HANS. As speeds increase so to must safety.

(My Bro in law is an pediatric orthopedic surgeon at a children's hospital so we are very safety orientated)

Old 11-26-2016, 12:46 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistolclass View Post
I picked up this from APSCusa and my son loves it. http://www.apscusa.com/New-Magnum-12...art_p_568.html

It has 3 forward gears and reverse. goes like stink. I would not want my son ( he is 5) in a 13 hp kart. I replaced the belts that came with the kart with 6 point harnesses. Also I got him a HANS device. The kart is very fast. Kids necks are not very strong and the helmets they wear are very heavy in relation to their bodies. So neck / spine injuries are a concern, hence the HANS. LEATT makes a nice neck restraint and it isn't $500+ like a HANS. As speeds increase so to must safety.

(My Bro in law is an pediatric orthopedic surgeon at a children's hospital so we are very safety orientated)
Had my doubts till I looked at it. It does look safe with the roll bars and your harness amendments you described . Sure it could be easily throttle limited too if needed. Dad should keep the keys. Good to teach him on maintaining etc. And proper operation in your backyard for fun times.

Old 11-26-2016, 05:29 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsride View Post
me and my brothers built a buggy type thing years ago
with a Yamaha RD350 motor...
hours of fun on the sand flats...
one of my brothers were in it with me in my mazda ute had a race in a stright
line.. i was doing 80 /85 mph & david sliped the buggy in to top and pulled away from me
it really needed brakes.... one of those get round to it jobs we never got around to...

77 Montesa Cota 348 MRR "Malcom Rathnell Replica"...

Current resto projects..
81 Honda CT110...
80 Kawasaki KL250A1...

11 Husaburg TE125 enduro... "sold" along with another 31...
Lifan 125 Pitbike.. "stolen" ...

KIWI BIKER FORUM...... http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/content.php

All the best offroad rides in NZ...
http://www.remotemoto.com/

E-mail... xtpete1@gmail.com

Old 11-27-2016, 01:50 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBike View Post
Had my doubts till I looked at it. It does look safe with the roll bars and your harness amendments you described . Sure it could be easily throttle limited too if needed. Dad should keep the keys. Good to teach him on maintaining etc. And proper operation in your backyard for fun times.
The gas pedal has a bolt and nut that can limit the throttle. My son has to earn full throttle still.

Old 11-27-2016, 02:42 PM   #15

Thanks for the replies everyone. Pistolclass that is a nice looking kart. I like the idea of the 3 speed. Can YOU ride it? You know Daddy being able to ride it is in the back of my mind of course. Of course that may not be an option when getting one to fit the little guy.