Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2009, 12:05 PM   #1

1985 XR200R project has arrived. Going to be a project.

Well this morning I rolled out early and picked up most of an 1985 Honda XR200R. Missing tank, seat, rear shock, misc bolts etc. Top end of engine is gone too. Price was right at $50 and only 10 minutes away.

The lifan has been stripped of its power and I got the 200cc sitting in the xr frame, but there is some minor hang ups.

Bottom of lifan engine has mounts for foot pegs. One is going to need to be ground off. Big one is that the lifan oil fill is on the rear of the engine and it hits the frame. I think I will need to see if a clutch cover from another honda will fit. The 84-85 xr engine is different.

I will need to make some spacers for mounts, but it appears the mounts are in the right places.

So it appears that I will have alittle work to do with this. Also going to need a new headpipe. My stocker is rusted out from the heat wrap. Don't recommend it.

Old 10-10-2009, 02:48 PM   #2

Looks like you also scored the twin carb setup from the XR; should bring a few bucks on CL.

As it happens, my buddy's '85 XR200 is in my shop right now, although it has a XR250 engine in it. Let me know if you need photos for guidance.

Will the China Bike shock fit in the XR frame?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-10-2009, 04:19 PM   #3

Here's my assessment so far. 84-85 xr200r had a different style engine which of course does not use the same mounts.

China bike shock it too short.

Now I can probably make mounts to work. Just will take some time. The 86 model frame would have been better, but I will take what I can get.

So I was able to get the engine line up where I believe the sprocket needs to be by using the upper rear mount with a couple of washers for spacers. This should get me a starting point.

Big problem might be the exhaust header. I might have a clearance problem here. If that is the case it may make it difficult. This is where the right frame would be good. The engine is currently offset the the left.

Also missing some parts like front axle, misc mounting bolts for swingarm, brake pedal and linkages, one rear axle adjuster, upper headset bearing.

Allen

Old 10-11-2009, 01:11 AM   #4

Now this one is going to be neat , I'm staying tuned.

Old 10-11-2009, 03:13 AM   #5

I know that this was a good price, but are you committed to a 1985 XR200? The reason I ask is that (as you're aware) the previous years used an engine that looked very much like the Lifan. I'm not sure when the Pro-link came in, but our 1980 XR200 is a dual shock frame. A Lifan motor would be a bolt-in for us.

Have you solved the oil fill location issue? It doesn't look like the later cover will fit the Lifan, due to the disposable oil filter.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-11-2009, 08:21 AM   #6

No I am not committed. I think the 86 and newe ones are also pretty much bolt in too. So for the price paid I can easily get it back out and find an slightly older or newer model to work with.

I think I can make it work. I managed to get the rear wheel lined up and also the head pipe just clears.

Oil fill, I would have to grind that bracket alittle and it would be okay, but I think my best option is another donar frame. Also since I am missing parts yet.

Allen

Old 10-11-2009, 02:06 PM   #7

katoranger,
I believe, I have a rear shock that will fit this bike. It's from either the XR250 or an XR200. Can't remember which. You are welcome to it. Cover the shipping and it's your's. I also have the rear linkage.

SamM
2017 Coleman CT200U
1978 Yamaha SR500E
1979 Yamaha XS650 Special II

Old 10-11-2009, 02:29 PM   #8

Sam, I will take it. That gets me alittle closer. I think the xr250 used the same one or one that will fit at least.

As you can see I have a very spacious outdoor shop and a self propelled work bench.

We have a vise, grinder, sawsall, and a welder. :wink:

A buddy has a milling machine a lathe. Should be able to make it happen.

Old 10-12-2009, 02:33 AM   #9

I was looking closer at my buddy's '85 XR200 (with an XR250 engine), and it's very similar to my '96 XR250 because of the disposable filter location. I'm guessing that you could only go back in time for a drop-in fit.

That said, a Pro-link is way cooler than a twin shock, so cut/chop/weld/grind away! Please continue with pics as you make progress.

Are you planning to incorporate the top engine mount?

Old 10-12-2009, 10:06 AM   #10

I am go go the weldangrind route. :wink: Consindering the I made the 125 horizontal clone work in the dr250 frame this should be easy.

I may borrow some of the mounts from the lifan frame and parts of that frame to make mounts.

Allen

Old 10-19-2009, 03:41 PM   #11

My only updates are that I have a tank, seat, and triple trees coming. I only needed the stem bearings, but the trees were cheaper than a set of bearings. Plus having some extras won't hurt.

Still need a rear fender, brake pedal and rod, axles?, swingarm bolt. Probably some misc little things too.

I asked the ebay seller if he had those parts. Maybe I can get it all in one box.

Weather here has not be very cooperative. I got nothing done this weekend on it.

Allen

Old 10-19-2009, 08:42 PM   #12

Sam. The shock is here.

Also got word. The ebay seller made my a great deal on a bunch of parts I was missing.

This should be underway shortly. Still lacking a rear fender. Also will need sprockets and chain.

Allen

Old 10-21-2009, 10:07 AM   #13

Got a new rear sprocket last night. $15 shipped. Like those bargains.

Allen

Old 10-21-2009, 09:25 PM   #14

Glad the shock made it there ok. I'm sorry that I couldn't find the links. I'll keep looking and ship them to you if I find them.

SamM
2017 Coleman CT200U
1978 Yamaha SR500E
1979 Yamaha XS650 Special II

Old 10-22-2009, 12:59 PM   #15

Sam, I believe I have all the links. When the swingarm bolt gets here I should be able to start on the motor mounts.

I am sure nothing will happen this weekend with it either other than some parts collecting.

Allen