Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Riding > Ride Reports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2020, 04:06 PM   #1

Celebrating Martial Law in Lesotho

So this morning the Prime Minister of Lesotho declared martial law and the military has taken over the streets of the capital city. To celebrate, I went for a ride in the uninhabited grazing lands east of where we live. (Actually, I planned to go riding now matter what the politicians do, but it's a good excuse.)

The ride was mostly on single tracks or making my own tracks across grazing land for the first half. I had a little trouble getting across the first donga (canyon caused by erosion during the rainy season) because there was enough water running to turn the sand into quick sand. I buried my front wheel to the axle the one place tried to cross. Fortunately I went real slow down over the edge to see if the sand was "quick" or not, otherwise I would have buried the whole bike. (Been there and done that several times with an old DT175. It's a LOT lighter to lift out!) I finally got across further upstream and went over to the next drainage. There I found this pretty little canyon. That's what the pictures are of. (Sorry, I can't seem to get them rotated right. They're fine on my computer, but no matter how I change them, they want to lie on their sides!)

Name:  20200418_142129.jpg
Views: 709
Size:  42.3 KB

Name:  20200418_142107.jpg
Views: 728
Size:  46.8 KB

Name:  20200418_143107.jpg
Views: 687
Size:  44.5 KB

I found a porcupine quill and some tracks:

Name:  20200418_143241.jpg
Views: 695
Size:  33.4 KB

And my bike waited patiently at the top for me while I climbed down to check the canyon out.

Name:  20200418_143723.jpg
Views: 695
Size:  48.3 KB

Hope you all have a wonderful weekend!

Old 04-18-2020, 07:06 PM   #2

that is gorgeous country you have to ride in.

best of luck and stay safe.

Old 04-18-2020, 07:53 PM   #3

I’ve never been to Lesotho but I’ve seen a lot of South Africa. That is a pretty area. I thought scaring up a Durban license plate in a ditch was a cool find but it pales compared to that porcupine quill.

Keep the pics coming.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 04-19-2020, 06:43 AM   #4

Love the pics, Lesotho is an undiscovered country. Your pics are great.
Been stuck in the Donga's a few times my self (Yamaha TT600) they look all innocent until you try to cross. I believe the word they use for a 'donga' in the US is an 'arroyo'

Paul

Old 04-19-2020, 07:53 AM   #5

I had to look it up;

Donga - a narrow steep-sided ravine formed by water erosion but usually dry except in the rainy season.
2016 Tao Tao 125D

Old 04-19-2020, 09:13 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsstag View Post
Love the pics, Lesotho is an undiscovered country. Your pics are great.
Been stuck in the Donga's a few times my self (Yamaha TT600) they look all innocent until you try to cross. I believe the word they use for a 'donga' in the US is an 'arroyo'

Paul
I think wash and wadi are also used in the US but arroyo is most common.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 04-19-2020, 09:24 AM   #7

Great Pictures!

I love seeing pictures from around the world. Add a motorcycle to the pictures and it’s awesome! Keep the pictures coming and be safe out there!

Enjoy the Ride!
-2016 Hawk 250 - Kitty Hawk - eBay exhaust, Mikuni carb(120 main/30 Pilot), airbox mod with K&N filter, digital cluster, total LEDs, 17/45 sprockets, RK chain, Shinko 244 tires, trunk, aftermarket levers, burrito tube, skid plate, Sargent Cycle Seat...
-2003 HD Sportster 100th Anniversary
-1999 Buell X-1 Lightning - Race kit, Buell Seat

Old 04-19-2020, 07:48 PM   #8

How far out in the wilderness is the riding in Lesotho? I mean, is it so far out you could you set up a business promoting moto-tourism?

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 04-21-2020, 07:06 AM   #9

Quote:
How far out in the wilderness is the riding in Lesotho? I mean, is it so far out you could you set up a business promoting moto-tourism?
It might be possible. It's a BEAUTIFUL country, and still exotic, remote, and primitive compared to South Africa. There are trails everywhere, and very few fences. Have you heard of the Roof of Africa race? It's here every year, and the biggest tourist event of the year. I don't know all the reasons, but somehow tourism hasn't really taken off that much. I think quite a bit of it is a lack of marketing. Also political instability and corruption. There's a tendency to take advantage of people who don't know the tribal language.

We live 20 minutes from the capital city, and there's lots to see here. If you are willing to drive a little further/more remote, the mountains are incredible! I like your idea!

Last edited by lilgman; 04-21-2020 at 07:08 AM. Reason: proofreading

Old 05-16-2020, 10:17 AM   #10

Well, the martial law in Lesotho didn't really take off. From what I hear the soldiers were back in their barracks in less than twenty-four hours. Currently prime minister seems to not have much power any more. He's announced that he will retire in July or maybe sooner. The lock down has also ended here pretty much, so today I ventured a little further from home--actually towards the capital city. Beautiful Fall day here, and I wore myself out on some terrain that is tougher than I'm used to!

Name:  20200516_143636.jpg
Views: 637
Size:  98.2 KB

I couldn't make it any further because of a rock ledge hiding in the grass. With 300 km on the engine it's definitely loosened up a LOT and the power/torque is feeling better.

Old 05-19-2020, 11:37 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilgman View Post
Well, the martial law in Lesotho didn't really take off. From what I hear the soldiers were back in their barracks in less than twenty-four hours. Currently prime minister seems to not have much power any more. He's announced that he will retire in July or maybe sooner. The lock down has also ended here pretty much, so today I ventured a little further from home--actually towards the capital city. Beautiful Fall day here, and I wore myself out on some terrain that is tougher than I'm used to!

Attachment 21423

I couldn't make it any further because of a rock ledge hiding in the grass. With 300 km on the engine it's definitely loosened up a LOT and the power/torque is feeling better.
Interesting turn of events for the prime minister! Indicted for being in the conspiracy that murdered his ex-wife?!!

That looks almost like terrain you would see in northern Arizona state or in the state of New Mexico here in the US! Beautiful!!

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard