Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Registration Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2007, 10:54 PM   #1

NC Registration

I posted most of this elsewhere, but for any NC riders wanting to register their chinabike,this is how I got mine done.
My bike is an 05 Tank Trail 200 purchased around christmas 06. When I asked the dealer, he told me that it was not DOT approved, but he would check with NC Division of Motor Vehicles to see if it could be registered. He was told that if it would pass a DMV Inspectors inspection, it could be registered.
I bought the bike, he made an appointment for it to be inspected. I took it back to him, the inspectors signed off on it and left the appropriate inspection form with him. I then went to my insurance agent (GMAC), they signed it up in an "other" category, would have needed pictures if I had wanted full coverage, gave me a card and sent mt to the tag place. Handed everything to the lady, plus 100 bucks, and she handed me back a tag and registration! I got this done after being told by a Honda dealer that no vehicle that had "off-rode" or "dirtbike" on the MCO could be tagged in NC. My MCO had dirtbike on it (even though my pure dirtbike Lifan QP100 MCO said motorcycle) and I thought that I would have to get Tank to send me a revised MCO. However, I do live in a somewhat rural county and may not have had the same luck in somewhere like Charlotte. Overall the procedure for me was pretty painless.

Old 02-06-2007, 07:24 AM   #2

I had almost the same experience but I bought mine off the internet and didn't have to go through the inspection issues.

I actually got a letter from the DMV the other day saying the odometer dislosure statement was missing something or wrong. SO I called up the internet dealer and faxed them the form they needed to fill out. They filled it out, had it back to me within hours, went back to the DMV locally yesterday and handed over the paperwork. They said wait for your title in the mail.