Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Registration Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2007, 07:55 AM   #1

Indiana Licensing

Has anyone had trouble getting the chinese made bikes titled and licensed in Indiana, specifically the Roketas or the Lifans (200cc TMS200GY-5 by Lifan dual-purpose enduro trail bike)?

I have noticed that on EBAY, there is a guy in Chino, California who seems to be selling a ton of different Lifans. Has anyone in Indiana bought from this guy (company)?

Anyone in Indiana own the Lifans enduros?

Old 01-05-2007, 08:10 AM   #2

Hi davidc83
Your best bet is to call your local BMV office and ask them what you need to title/register a motorcycle in your State. Every State in the Union has different laws/rules on how motorcycles & atv's are or are not registered. I can't wait till the Federal Government steps in and makes registration in all States the same & mandatory.
Bruce
Hours: Tue.-Fri. 10:00-6:00 Sat. 10:00-4:00 EST.
Dealer for: Lifan, Crossrunner ATVs.
http://www.endlessjourneycycles.net

Old 01-05-2007, 10:25 AM   #3

Thanks. Where I work we have a guy who is also an Indiana deputy. He told me that the motorcycles must have what is needed from the BMV website for motorcycle equipment, plus the MCO, VIN, and proof of purchase.

Old 01-05-2007, 04:09 PM   #4

The things I ran into with Oregon DMV:

I contacted DMV before the bike arrived. Then I went to the office with what they wanted- "you also need an odometer disclosure" got that came back a week + later. Now "you need a letter from the distributor stating EPA/DOT approved".

Finally it's got a tag and title and I can play legally on the road
2006 Jetmoto Enduro
IBA 19,400

Old 01-05-2007, 09:52 PM   #5

When I bought mine it came with a certificate of origin that stated a different dealer than the one on the invoice. This caused the DMV to demand a mileage disclosure. When I contacted the dealer they noticed the error and sent me another certificat of origin with the correct dealer name. After that, no problem.

So if they are giving you a hassle there may be a problem with the paperwork that they are not telling you about.

Old 01-05-2007, 09:59 PM   #6

Re: Indiana Licensing

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidc83

I have noticed that on EBAY, there is a guy in Chino, California who seems to be selling a ton of different Lifans. Has anyone in Indiana bought from this guy (company)?

I believe that outfit is actually T-motorsports. I bought my Lifan off ebay from T-motorsports and was happy with the bike and with the way I was treated. They were honest and very prompt with returning phone calls and sending me what I requested. One word of caution, however. T-motorsports warrantys the Lifan for only 30 days, parts only, and there is no warranty on the engine. To get full warranty coverage on a Lifan you would probably have to buy from a dealership.

Old 01-06-2007, 06:28 AM   #7

Hi All
I have stated this before on this board, so here goes again.
Lifan in China will right now import/sell to any company that has a broker, importer and distributors license. I call these bikes Gray Lifan's, because they are imported by people/companies that can afford it, period. These people/companies put whatever warranty they want on the entire motorcycle or quad, between 0-90 days mainly, parts only. Lifan in China puts a certain warranty on all of the vehicles that they sell, period. The warranty will be explained in the next paragraph.

American Lifan who is the Main Importer & Distributor in the USA sells to Legitimate Dealers only. The bikes & quads that they sell can Only be sent to the dealers location. American Lifan Will Not Drop Ship a vehicle for any dealer. The vehicles that are sold by the dealer must be assembled & prepped by that dealer. {{ If a Dealer ships the bike in the crate it will not be covered with any warranty.}} The Warranty on American Lifan products is as follows; Street, Scooter & Enduro/Dualsport is 6 Months or 3000 miles which ever comes first for Parts & Labor. Dirtbikes & ATV's/Quads 6 Months, Parts & Labor.
I hope that this helps.

Bruce
Hours: Tue.-Fri. 10:00-6:00 Sat. 10:00-4:00 EST.
Dealer for: Lifan, Crossrunner ATVs.
http://www.endlessjourneycycles.net

Old 01-10-2007, 09:55 PM   #8

Send a message via MSN to dlunt
Re: Indiana Licensing

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidc83
Has anyone had trouble getting the chinese made bikes titled and licensed in Indiana, specifically the Roketas or the Lifans (200cc TMS200GY-5 by Lifan dual-purpose enduro trail bike)?

I am in Indiana. Camby. About 5 miles south of Indy.
You need a legitimate MSO/MCO from a dealer, a bill of sale to title it, and proof of insurance if licensing for the road.
Also if purchased out of state somebody at the branch or a cop is supposed inspect and verify the VIN.

If you want a new one I would go out of my way to buy from a dealer!!!
Drive over and see Bruce at EJCycles. Nice guy. I wish I would have bought from him!

I bought from an Ebay place out of the Cleveland area. I went and picked it up in the crate. It had an MSO in it but it was the junk one that comes from the manufacturer. The Indiana BMV would not accept it.
I then found out that they were not a licensed dealer in Ohio, which they need to be to issue the legitimate MSO.
After about 6 weeks they got licensed and sent me a legit MSO. I missed a lot of riding in April and May!

I am probably going to be selling mine soon. 2006 Lifan GY-5. Look for it on the For Sale forum this weekend. It is already titled in Indiana.

I am not selling it because I dislike it. It is a great bike!
I needed a bigger bike that can handle the south side of Indy to Carmel commute on I465.
Let me know if your are around Indy and would like to look at it or even take it for a spin.
Already has 42t rear sprocket, Pod air filter, halogen headlight and a new battery (I messed up the original battery with the charger - doh! :oops: )