Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > News, Support, & Feedback
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2012, 08:27 PM   #1

MESSAGE TO MODERATORS: Technical INFO....

Gentlemen, I HAVE opened my Lifan 125cc horizontal engine and verified that it does indeed have a centrifugal oil filter that is nearly identical in function to the same feature on the original Honda engines.....
This component/feature should be cleaned out at least after the original "break-in" period and then during every other oil change (at a minimum).....
Since apparently many of you are unaware of this feature, I'd be happy to discuss the correct service proceedure (with pics and explaination) if someone will tell me where to post this so every member is likely to see it and avoid the problems that can/may result if it isn't done regularly.....
Thanks, Steve

Old 12-23-2012, 10:52 PM   #2

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the news! I was totally unaware of the filter, but it makes sense, knowing Mother Honda. The old XL250S I sold last year had one behind the clutch cover, which is a real nuisance to get at.

Since the horizontal motor is used in so many different machines, perhaps it ahould be copied and pasted into the following:

Pit Bikes
ATV's
Other Stuff
Dual Sports

I hope that's not asking too much. I can see it being valuable info for several different types of bike / atv.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 12-23-2012, 11:36 PM   #3

Weld,
Yes, it IS a bit of work to clean, the right side crankcase cover has to come off after draining the oil, But this exposes the oil pick-up screen for complete cleaning as well.... Two gaskets are involved (MAY need replaced), the larger case gasket is only about $3, so no biggie....

I'll cover all this again in the cleaning guide I'll post..... I'm thinking one posting in "Other Stuff" with a notice and simple links to the topic in the other sections......

I'll get started on the topic and post it ASAP... Steve

Old 12-24-2012, 12:50 AM   #4

Thanks Steve. I am very glad you joined us.

Old 12-25-2012, 06:56 AM   #5

Topic has been posted to "Other Stuff" forum..... If it meets your approval as-is I'll post links in the appropriate forums.... Let me know if you think it's in-depth enough or needs some clarification.... Steve

Link to topic.....

http://www.chinariders.net/modules.p...wtopic&t=15242