Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2019, 11:08 AM   #1

RX3 Fuel Pump

I'm having intermittent fuel pump issues on two RX3's. The pump keeps freezing, and we have to pull it to get it unfrozen.

New pump assemblies are $225 at CSC and $100 in China.

That seems like a lot for just the pump, and I have no need for a full assembly.

Has anyone found a fuel pump---only the pump---for the RX3, an aftermarket supplier?

The pump is supposedly Delphi, but it's impossible to track it down without a part number, and none of the etchings on the pump are part numbers.

Anyone else have a similar problem?

Old 01-04-2019, 12:27 PM   #2

I have a couple Q's and they are

How is the fuel in your area? (ethanol free, e10, e15, mixed with hurricane water, old/stale fuel, etc.)

Does the Fuel Pump have a "sock/strainer" attached to it?

Almost sounds like you have some kind of contamination in the fuel/tank that is temporarily plugging up the fuel pump, removal of the pump drains the contaminates out and it starts working again until it sucks up the crap in the tank again

Sorry I'm of no help finding a replacement fuel pump... just thought I'd toss that out there...

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 01-04-2019, 12:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhule View Post
I have a couple Q's and they are

How is the fuel in your area? (ethanol free, e10, e15, mixed with hurricane water, old/stale fuel, etc.)

Does the Fuel Pump have a "sock/strainer" attached to it?

Almost sounds like you have some kind of contamination in the fuel/tank that is temporarily plugging up the fuel pump, removal of the pump drains the contaminates out and it starts working again until it sucks up the crap in the tank again

Sorry I'm of no help finding a replacement fuel pump... just thought I'd toss that out there...
The fuel in the DR can be problematic, no doubt.

Strainer looks good.

I've got two RX3's and they both have this problem. I also have 9 DL650's that we did the high-pressure filter bypass.

I put the Guglatech neck socks on the DL650's. I may do the same with the RX3, because the fuel tank filler neck is very similar.

When the DL650's fuel pumps go inop, there are aftermarket pumps available for 1/20 the price of the OEM.

I would like to find an aftermarket fuel pump for the RX3's.

I don't recall if I posted the before on this forum, but the Guglatech filter is The Bomb for poor fuel.

https://vimeo.com/272240517

Old 01-04-2019, 12:38 PM   #4

This is unusual, so I suspect bad fuel. You might try one of those "sock" type filters that you put the fuel through during fueling.

Old 01-04-2019, 01:56 PM   #5

I had a similar problem right after getting fuel. My riding buddy, a diesel expert, thought that I had either picked up some water or tiny grit. The injector hole is so tiny that neither water or grit will pass. We were on a backroads trip so draining the tank was not a reasonable option. A hefty dose of HEAT (basically alcohol) helped put the water back into suspension and after running about 5 gallons of fuel through the bike all was well. I did change the external fuel filter. Later I got the sock type filter for use on trips where the fuel is suspect. The RX3 cap does not allow a permanently installed filter at the fill point.

Old 01-04-2019, 04:01 PM   #6

I don't understand this. Filters don't stop water. Water doesn't cause the problem OP is having. Heet only disperses water and doesn't address OP's issue. I'm confused.

Old 01-04-2019, 06:46 PM   #7

Actually filters do stop water....if it's the right filter. The guglatech is fine enough that water is blocked but fuel flows. I have one in my F800GSA. Check this vid out:

Old 01-04-2019, 07:23 PM   #8

I've never seen a sock filter that does. That's what he said he used.

Old 01-04-2019, 08:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caribbean Rider View Post
I'm having intermittent fuel pump issues on two RX3's. The pump keeps freezing, and we have to pull it to get it unfrozen.

New pump assemblies are $225 at CSC and $100 in China.

That seems like a lot for just the pump, and I have no need for a full assembly.

Has anyone found a fuel pump---only the pump---for the RX3, an aftermarket supplier?

The pump is supposedly Delphi, but it's impossible to track it down without a part number, and none of the etchings on the pump are part numbers.

Anyone else have a similar problem?

I can supply pump if needed and have it DHL out to you on Monday

Old 01-14-2019, 08:15 AM   #10

Today’s the day I think
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1CD17341-F693-4578-AE54-C2DEA662AC93.jpg (19.3 KB, 356 views)

Old 01-14-2019, 01:12 PM   #11

Also are you in the habit of running your tank very low on fuel. The fuel pump relies on the gas for lubrication and if you run it empty or low all the time the pump isn't getting the lubrication and wears out quicker. You mention the pumps keep freezing up so this is why I am asking if you run them low all the time. This is why our US models the gas gauge is flashing at us even though there is still half a tank left. They want us to fill it up and not run it low and have premature fuel pump problems. rj

Old 01-14-2019, 05:21 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NzBrakelathes View Post
Today’s the day I think
It arrived at my freight forwarder in Miami. I'll get the customs issues resolved with your help and I'll have it in a few days.

Note to others: NzBrakelathes is the real deal and a huge help to me for some parts. Give him a try!

Old 01-14-2019, 08:17 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caribbean Rider View Post
It arrived at my freight forwarder in Miami. I'll get the customs issues resolved with your help and I'll have it in a few days.

Note to others: NzBrakelathes is the real deal and a huge help to me for some parts. Give him a try!
Hi mate
Sorry I do not have a fancy invoice format etc
Maybe create something from an online template and just use my details etc