Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2017, 08:26 AM   #1

Hawk Mikuni vm26 carb 17 45 sprockets

My hawk got some new toys last night. A new VM26 Mikuni carb and sprockets. For now, I set the carb with a 110 jet and 1 1/2 turns out on the mixture screw. Stock settings on the screw was 3/4 out. I left the needle clip at the most rich setting. All I can say is wow! The throttle response is so much better. Much smoother revs. And it does start without choke. On a cold morning, the choke actually does its job. Works like it should. The install was just like OEM. I haven't taken the cat out of exhaust yet. I'm at 1,000ft elevation. The Mikuni is just a better carb. Would not have known this without this site. Thank you all for your sharing of info.The 17tooth sprocket on the front was effortless on putting the cover on. Nothing to modify. My bike is a little older than new. Harbor Frieght stand holds the bike up well for work. http://s1149.photobucket.com/user/my...y/hawk%20wheel

Last edited by Musictrek; 02-03-2017 at 09:36 AM.

Old 02-03-2017, 08:38 AM   #2

I started one of our two Hawks for the first time last night and with the air being 23 degrees, she really didn't want to keep going, really struggled. If the stock carbs are as lean as described, this could be an indication. We have a pair of VM26's to put on the bikes but it has been suggested to break the bikes in on the stock carbs. We might have to go to the VM26 carbs just to make the bikes useable in the cold weather! Glad your like it!

Old 02-03-2017, 09:42 AM   #3

Hawk carb

I'm going to crack open my OEM carb and see what jet I have. The one thing I noticed though. Is I have done allot of desert dirt riding. The OEM carb could have used some cleaning inside. The air box needs some inspection of dirt getting passed the filter. Not a deal breaker, but just some improvements. My OEM carb, I was always messing around with that big idle screw during warm up. The mikuni doesn't have that problem.

Old 02-03-2017, 09:46 AM   #4

Lean Hawk

Before I pulled my OEM carb I checked my plug. I have 250miles on the bike. Plug is pretty dry.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (7.7 KB, 223 views)

Old 02-03-2017, 10:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musictrek View Post
I'm going to crack open my OEM carb and see what jet I have. The one thing I noticed though. Is I have done allot of desert dirt riding. The OEM carb could have used some cleaning inside. The air box needs some inspection of dirt getting passed the filter. Not a deal breaker, but just some improvements. My OEM carb, I was always messing around with that big idle screw during warm up. The mikuni doesn't have that problem.
My guess would be a 100/20. You'll find the same lean jetting in the Mikuni. I guess it has to do with EPA....would be my guess.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 02-03-2017, 11:10 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by emptyschmitz View Post
I started one of our two Hawks for the first time last night and with the air being 23 degrees, she really didn't want to keep going, really struggled. If the stock carbs are as lean as described, this could be an indication. We have a pair of VM26's to put on the bikes but it has been suggested to break the bikes in on the stock carbs. We might have to go to the VM26 carbs just to make the bikes useable in the cold weather! Glad your like it!
The last couple of mornings have been below 30F here, and today was 19F.

The bike starts with no problem on full choke, but I need to leave it for at least three minutes on half choke. It will not throttle up until it's warmed.

Old 02-03-2017, 12:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musictrek View Post
My hawk got some new toys last night. A new VM26 Mikuni carb and sprockets. For now, I set the carb with a 110 jet and 1 1/2 turns out on the mixture screw. Stock settings on the screw was 3/4 out. I left the needle clip at the most rich setting. All I can say is wow! The throttle response is so much better. Much smoother revs. And it does start without choke. On a cold morning, the choke actually does its job. Works like it should. The install was just like OEM. I haven't taken the cat out of exhaust yet. I'm at 1,000ft elevation. The Mikuni is just a better carb. Would not have known this without this site. Thank you all for your sharing of info.The 17tooth sprocket on the front was effortless on putting the cover on. Nothing to modify. My bike is a little older than new. Harbor Frieght stand holds the bike up well for work. http://s1149.photobucket.com/user/my...y/hawk%20wheel
Did you mod the factory carb? Just curious if the difference was between an unmodified stock carb and the mukuni or a modified carb?

Old 02-03-2017, 12:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by emptyschmitz View Post
We have a pair of VM26's to put on the bikes but it has been suggested to break the bikes in on the stock carbs.
My Hawk ran like crap on the stock carb!!!! I haven't seen this suggestion of breaking in the bike with the stock carb but I surely disagree with it!!!!!

Either rejet or replace the carb, and check the valves and maybe change the oil as well. IME all of these should be strongly considered before hitting the starter....

Old 02-03-2017, 04:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilserchinarider View Post
My Hawk ran like crap on the stock carb!!!! I haven't seen this suggestion of breaking in the bike with the stock carb but I surely disagree with it!!!!!

Either rejet or replace the carb, and check the valves and maybe change the oil as well. IME all of these should be strongly considered before hitting the starter....
from what ive read it seems to be the consensus that break in needs to be done with a rich carb setting which stock is not.

Old 02-03-2017, 07:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by timcosby View Post
from what ive read it seems to be the consensus that break in needs to be done with a rich carb setting which stock is not.
I would agree. I don't think there is any benefit other than saving fuel, to ever run an engine lean. As lean, they run hot and never start well, especially when it's cold out.

Old 02-04-2017, 11:39 AM   #11

Lean is right. It puts the bike at not running great. It all adds up to emissions. Using super unleaded, running lean jets all to keep the cat inside hot and clean as possible. I think doing the mods will eventually clog up the cat.

Old 02-06-2017, 09:32 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUTERLIMITS View Post
I would agree. I don't think there is any benefit other than saving fuel, to ever run an engine lean. As lean, they run hot and never start well, especially when it's cold out.
Granted it was summer time,
but my Hawk with the stock carb and jets ran very HOT, like a fireball, b/w the cat and the hot engine OMG HOT!!!