Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands

Old 05-11-2016, 01:21 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBike View Post
Check out that giant humongous tail light you could certainly see that from behind back in the day
That is one thing i like about the older bikes. Their lighting is usually a lot larger and a lot easier to see.
'80 Honda XL185S
'76 Yamaha DT250C dual sport
Baja Wilderness Trail 250
'07 Honda Shadow 750 Areo Trike
'01 Harley Davidson Softail Deuce
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyj812 View Post
You can't pin this one on me, my wife is still mad at me. I don't need your wife mad at me too. LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
Disclaimer: The above post by 2LZ is in no way the view of this site, other members or Bruce's llama. It is the opinion of 2LZ and 2LZ alone. ;-)

Old 05-16-2016, 02:16 PM   #32

So...made a decision when it comes to this bike. The plan is i will most likely end up replacing the stock headlight with a larger 7" one off of a Honda CB or similar model. This will allow me to keep the classic look but gain a bit more light output due to both the larger light and the fact it uses an H4 bulb. As suggested in the earlier part of this thread i will also end up experimenting with 12 volt bulbs to see what the bike likes in terms of wattage. More then likely may try to find stock signal lights for it or find some decent aftermarket replacements and run 12 volt bulbs in them. If it does not work out as things like this vary from bike to bike of course i can always keep it 6 volt and run a 6 volt H4 bulb in the new headlight.

Priced out the following parts for the bike as well:

DID 428 chain 120 link (stock length)
JT sprockets (stock replacements)
Shinko K702 tires (i recall looking at these for the DT as well)

All in all the parts above will be just under $400

Still need to locate the parts to rebuild the rear brake...will need the pedal, and the linkage to connect it.

Parts i am considering to upgrade the bike further:

Protaper SE ATV handlebar
adapting some sort of aftermarket muffler
small pelican or similar case bolted to the rear rack for tools.
same ken sean bar end mirrors as used on the DT
Clarke fuel tank.
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
You can't pin this one on me, my wife is still mad at me. I don't need your wife mad at me too. LOL
Quote:
Disclaimer: The above post by 2LZ is in no way the view of this site, other members or Bruce's llama. It is the opinion of 2LZ and 2LZ alone. ;-)

Old 08-20-2016, 08:25 PM   #33

Ok just a bit of an update. Bike got put into storage along with the DT250 and Interceptor during the move. But i will be working on gathering the parts i need for it during the winter. The thing that is slowing me up a bit is finding a 12 volt battery that will fit in the stock location. May need to get a bit creative with this. One thing i have kicked around a couple times with both the DT250 and this bike is mounting a 50 cal ammo can on the left side of the bike to serve as a tool box/saddle case...Might even run two on both bikes along with the aforementioned pelican case on the rear rack. If i do end up going this route it will make it a TON easier to fit a large capacity 12 volt AGM type battery as i would simply move it from the stock location to the right side case. The ammo box is metal so that should provide plenty of heat shielding from the exhaust. But then again i do have the option of adding a bit of insulation between the battery and that side of the case..I should probably add insulation around the entire battery to prevent shorts anyway. Sure it adds a mild amount of weight but having the brighter lights as a result of the 12 V conversion makes it worth it. Having the other cases to carry tools and other required items will make it easy to maintain the bike in the field. As both this bike and the DT250 will see some time loaded in the back of a future expedition vehicle build being able to fix them in the field is important.
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Quote:

Old 08-21-2016, 01:13 AM   #34

Japanese idea:http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/puchansdr/34209953.html That 12v battery is 81mm*71mm*106mm (Stock: 71*71*96) . Check out the shop u bought the 6v SLA for DT250, some 12V 2.?Ah may jammed in...
Ultra ghetto idea, isn't it? http://kappanda.blog.so-net.ne.jp/archive/c2301453137-1 ( - to |) | http://kattsu00.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-1645.html (Ni-cd pack)

Last edited by humanbeing; 08-21-2016 at 03:15 AM.

Old 08-22-2016, 12:54 PM   #35

Can you tell us the battery box dimensions? Do you have a pic?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-22-2016, 06:28 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Can you tell us the battery box dimensions? Do you have a pic?
Not off hand, The bike is still loaded up in the bed of my Chevy out at my buddies place. At first glance it looks like it isnt much bigger then that SLA 6V you suggested for the DT250...Let me see if i can find a replacement battery for that model online to see what it says it should be.

Heres one that lists the bike on Ebay and from what i remember from looking at the bike...it looks to be the correct size. In fact you can kind of see the battery peeking out from behind the right side cover in the pics of the bike that i posted earlier

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-6N4-2A-4...-/171501353744

Specs

Voltage: 6
Length:
2.8"
Width:
2.8"

Height: 3.8
"
Weight:
1.3 lbs
Capacity: 4 Ah

It lists it as fitting the DT250 as well. As said in this pic you can see the battery behind the cover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkrider View Post

'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Quote:

Old 08-22-2016, 06:30 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by humanbeing View Post
Japanese idea:http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/puchansdr/34209953.html That 12v battery is 81mm*71mm*106mm (Stock: 71*71*96) . Check out the shop u bought the 6v SLA for DT250, some 12V 2.?Ah may jammed in...
Ultra ghetto idea, isn't it? http://kappanda.blog.so-net.ne.jp/archive/c2301453137-1 ( - to |) | http://kattsu00.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-1645.html (Ni-cd pack)

Wait...hold up...from what i gathered of that they rigged in a battery pack from an RC? Hmmm....
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Quote:

Old 08-27-2016, 07:38 PM   #38

After some thought...i may pull the seat off of the bike and take a look at my options there...i wonder if i couldn't do something similar to what Spud did with his XR and tuck a compact gel cell battery under there somewhere. Antigravity makes a nice compact 4 cell battery that may do the trick. They also make a couple 6 volt batteries that may work if i figure out a new way of mounting the battery on the bike as even the smaller one of the two is bigger then the stock one.

Edit: Ok after looking at that link Humanbeing posted up with the Nicad set up...I see a couple possible options here....As long as the XL185 chassis is set up like the 125 in the link i can do exactly like Spud did and lay the battery on top of the air box...or run a pod filter and replace the air box with a custom airbox/battery box. one thing i love about AGMs..they can be laid down at any angle and work properly. Sure they cost a bit more but its worth it for the ability to do things like that... Doing this gets the battery away from the rear tire and in a much better protected position.
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Quote:

Old 10-02-2016, 07:40 PM   #39

So there is a chance i may end up trading this bike off as a payment towards a truck. But i am unsure at this time. Already asked Spud his thoughts on keeping the knobbies on it for street use to save a bit of coin that i could put towards the other problems with the bike. Time will tell which way i end up going with it.
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Quote:

Old 10-04-2016, 05:30 AM   #40

Ok...Disregarding the above post for a moment...I seen mention of fitting later engines into these bikes earlier in the thread...My question is this...would a motor from say one of the new TT250s be similar enough to be possibly fitted into this chassis? Or at least an engine from say a Gio dirtbike? More curious about how similar the CG engine is to the XL engine.
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Quote:

Old 10-04-2016, 10:56 AM   #41

Darkrider, the frame of architecture is similar to that of the XR/XL 185 & 200, as well as the CRF 230. That's the largest version of that design I'm aware of. The 250 and up is a different animal, but that's why God created the MIG welder.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-04-2016, 11:11 AM   #42

Must have been on the Eighth Day...

Old 10-04-2016, 06:13 PM   #43

Quote:
Darkrider, the frame of architecture is similar to that of the XR/XL 185 & 200, as well as the CRF 230. That's the largest version of that design I'm aware of. The 250 and up is a different animal, but that's why God created the MIG welder.
So...Just to translate that...the GIO motor is similar to the XR/XL while the TT250 engine is different?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc View Post
Must have been on the Eighth Day...
"And on the 8th Day God created the Welder and it was glorious..."

So...i did a bit of reading last night, Was mainly trying to sort out what headlight i wanted to make work on the bike without a ton of modifications. During this search i remembered that a buddy of mine had installed an Acerbis Cyclops headlight on an old street fighter project bike using solid headlight mounts like what is on the XL...So this got me looking at that light and another in the line up called the DHH. They both use 4 plastic tabs on the back of them that are normally attached with rubber straps around the forks. However i have seen where someone made adapters to mount a DHH to their XR bolting onto the stock headlight brackets. Upon further reading the DHH and Cyclops use 35W 12 volt bulbs. As far as i can tell the Cyclops uses 2 H3 bulbs and i am unsure what the DHH uses. I am more then likely going to wire in a Trail Tech adjustable voltage regulator to stablize the voltage coming out of the stator to run one of these lights. Most likely it will be the DHH unless i end up going with a UFO plastics Oregon which has turn signals built into it. Either way i will end up with a modern headlight that looks at home with the Supermoto front fender. And ultimately end up with a color scheme similar to newer XRs that have white fenders and headlights.
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Quote:

Old 10-05-2016, 11:00 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkrider View Post
So...Just to translate that...the GIO motor is similar to the XR/XL while the TT250 engine is different?
Nope. The Gio 250 (actually 230), TT250 (again, 250), Storm, Hawk and Lifan all share the same frame of architecture as the Honda XL/XR 185 and 200 and the CRF 230.

Old 10-05-2016, 05:47 PM   #45

Quote:
Nope. The Gio 250 (actually 230), TT250 (again, 250), Storm, Hawk and Lifan all share the same frame of architecture as the Honda XL/XR 185 and 200 and the CRF 230.

Ahh ok...so basically if I could lay hands on any of the above I could bolt those engines in as an upgrade. Hmmm wonder if the Gios motor would have a strong enough charging system to run lights....I keep seeing beat up Gios for cheap on kijiji.
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Quote: