Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2016, 10:12 PM   #1

New User! Soon to be owner of an Apollo 250cc dirt bikes.

Hey fellas! I heard about your forum and seemed pretty interesting enough. I figured someone on here has owned or previously owned an Apollo 250cc dirt bike, and just wanted some helpful tips. A lot of people have been saying change the carburetor, get a better spark plug, etc. If you have any helpful tips then that would be great! I know these can be good bikes with regular maintenance, it means so much more to me because I was able to pay for it my self! (I'm 17 years old)

It supposively suppose to be here this weekend, super hyped I can't even sleep! Suppose to go riding with my buddy pretty soon. Also, would this bike be considered slightly shorter then other name brand 250's or about average?

Old 10-27-2016, 10:25 PM   #2

Welcome.I haven't owned an Apollo,but I'm sure someone around will respond with their experiences.It may take a couple days to get a response,the weekend is here,so please be patient.

Old 10-27-2016, 10:44 PM   #3

NKG spark plugs are the gold standard for on and off road. I ride a jap dirt bike but I can tell you whether the Apolo is new or used...give it and your self a chance to get used to each other. Jumping the gun on upgrades is not only expensive but some times not nessecary. Take it easy and don't bend it up right off the bat!

Old 10-27-2016, 11:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jct842 View Post
NKG spark plugs are the gold standard for on and off road. I ride a jap dirt bike but I can tell you whether the Apolo is new or used...give it and your self a chance to get used to each other. Jumping the gun on upgrades is not only expensive but some times not nessecary. Take it easy and don't bend it up right off the bat!
Yeah that sounds like a good idea. It's just I'm not use to have a dirt bike that's actually reliable, I have the mentality that it'll break down any second. I'll continue to post about my experiences with it if I do go riding this weekend. Thanks for all the feedback(: I guess I'm kinda jumping the gun on this one.

Old 10-28-2016, 01:17 AM   #5

Welcome! First thing is to start the bike, warm it up for a few minutes (thins out the oil) turn it off, and drain the shipping oil and put fresh oil (15w-40 Rotella) in the bike. No matter how tempting it is, DO NOT RIDE IT with the oil that comes with the bike. After about 50 miles, drain that oil out and out a fresh quart in. Ride for a couple hundred more miles, and drain that oil and put fresh oil in there, and you should be good for regular intervals. Check each oil change and make sure there are metal shavings in the drained oil. By the third change, you should have very few shavings.

As far as modifications, as ben2go mentioned, don't worry about them just yet. The bike should be fast enough for now. A change to the appropriate NGK or another name brand spark plug couldn't hurt as was mentioned.

Here is but one thread out of several discussing the Apollo if you look below at the dirt bike section:

http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=17671

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 10-28-2016, 11:37 AM   #6

Welcome, Rex! When you get your new bike, please show us pics. I think I know which model you have, but a pic would make me certain. We can guide you from there.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-28-2016, 12:24 PM   #7

tires

always make sure the air inflation is up.... especially the rear tire.... otherwise the tire will turn on the rim.. and tear off the valve system.... that will end your riding for awhile... that is why I use the pressurize valve caps .. you can get them at harbor freight or ebay... very cheap on ebay from china... they are a INDICATOR.. to let you see if the air is down... for safety... some people are against them... but if you are too lazy to check your air or if you have kids who are too lazy... then they are good...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg caps.jpg (10.7 KB, 585 views)

Old 10-28-2016, 07:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Welcome, Rex! When you get your new bike, please show us pics. I think I know which model you have, but a pic would make me certain. We can guide you from there.
Alrighty, will do! Uncertain of the arrival time, the company says this weekend but Amazon says Nov. 4th.

Old 10-28-2016, 07:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLASHLIGHTBOY View Post
always make sure the air inflation is up.... especially the rear tire.... otherwise the tire will turn on the rim.. and tear off the valve system.... that will end your riding for awhile... that is why I use the pressurize valve caps .. you can get them at harbor freight or ebay... very cheap on ebay from china... they are a INDICATOR.. to let you see if the air is down... for safety... some people are against them... but if you are too lazy to check your air or if you have kids who are too lazy... then they are good...
Yeah those look pretty cool, didn't know they even existed wow haha. I'll be sure to check the tire pressure so it's not too low every now and then. Thank you!

Old 10-28-2016, 07:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
Welcome! First thing is to start the bike, warm it up for a few minutes (thins out the oil) turn it off, and drain the shipping oil and put fresh oil (15w-40 Rotella) in the bike. No matter how tempting it is, DO NOT RIDE IT with the oil that comes with the bike. After about 50 miles, drain that oil out and out a fresh quart in. Ride for a couple hundred more miles, and drain that oil and put fresh oil in there, and you should be good for regular intervals. Check each oil change and make sure there are metal shavings in the drained oil. By the third change, you should have very few shavings.

As far as modifications, as ben2go mentioned, don't worry about them just yet. The bike should be fast enough for now. A change to the appropriate NGK or another name brand spark plug couldn't hurt as was mentioned.

Here is but one thread out of several discussing the Apollo if you look below at the dirt bike section:

http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=17671
Thank you for all the help! I'll be sure to do that once I get the bike for sure. Do you know the reliability of the chain? Or will it be good for a ride or two until I get it swapped.

Old 10-28-2016, 08:00 PM   #11

The chain should be fine for a while.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 10-29-2016, 11:58 AM   #12

Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerRex View Post
Alrighty, will do! Uncertain of the arrival time, the company says this weekend but Amazon says Nov. 4th.
Perhaps you could post the amazon link here

Welcome to chinariders.net
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 10-31-2016, 06:17 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBike View Post
Perhaps you could post the amazon link here

Welcome to chinariders.net
Yup! Here's the link where I bought the bike from.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00AD...OZL&ref=plSrch

Old 11-01-2016, 12:09 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerRex View Post
Hey fellas! I heard about your forum and seemed pretty interesting enough. I figured someone on here has owned or previously owned an Apollo 250cc dirt bike, and just wanted some helpful tips. A lot of people have been saying change the carburetor, get a better spark plug, etc. If you have any helpful tips then that would be great! I know these can be good bikes with regular maintenance, it means so much more to me because I was able to pay for it my self! (I'm 17 years old)

It supposively suppose to be here this weekend, super hyped I can't even sleep!

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...0199c94c72.jpg
Suppose to go riding with my buddy pretty soon. Also, would this bike be considered slightly shorter then other name brand 250's or about average?
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 11-03-2016, 07:33 PM   #15

Update!

Just came in today! I just moved the whole frame into my shed after I got off work, too tired to mess with it as of now since it was getting dark. The goal tomorrow is to get it running before Saturday morning.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0844.jpg (103.7 KB, 580 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0845.jpg (105.8 KB, 540 views)