Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2019, 02:28 PM   #856

The owners manual doesn't even give directions on how to check the oil level. Huh?

I am a Friend of Bill Wilson. Are you?

Retired and living the dream in Yuma, AZ.

Old 05-23-2019, 03:31 PM   #857

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinseattle View Post
The owners manual doesn't even give directions on how to check the oil level. Huh?
From the online tutorial:

"What you want is for the engine to have the oil level even with the upper mark on the viewport when the motorcycle is in the vertical position (straight up and down; not on the sidestand). The viewport is located on the right side of the engine. Here’s what it should look like…"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 31.jpg (42.9 KB, 402 views)

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 05-23-2019, 07:22 PM   #858

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
From the online tutorial:

"What you want is for the engine to have the oil level even with the upper mark on the viewport when the motorcycle is in the vertical position (straight up and down; not on the sidestand). The viewport is located on the right side of the engine. Here’s what it should look like…"
Thank you. I did find the it after I posted my question. However, it shows a solid black. The bike had 85 miles on it when I bought it. It has 240 now. (two days) I am going to assume that the oil is black and that it is above the high mark. I am going to drop the oil and put in fresh oil.

Could gas be getting to the oil somehow? Thereby raising the oil level in the crankcase? I think I will just drop the oil and put in some fresh and leave the filter alone until the 500 mile make and change the filter and the oil then.

Then I will have something to watch.

Think of it this way.... my knowledge of this bike can only go up from this point!

Old 05-23-2019, 08:52 PM   #859

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinseattle View Post
Could gas be getting to the oil somehow? Thereby raising the oil level in the crankcase? I think I will just drop the oil and put in some fresh and leave the filter alone until the 500 mile make and change the filter and the oil then.

Then I will have something to watch.

Think of it this way.... my knowledge of this bike can only go up from this point!
There's a lot of info on here and yes your knowledge base will increase but it'll be fun!

" Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted." - John Lennon

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
― Thomas Jefferson

"If you don't know where you're going any road will take you there" ....George Harrison song

Old 05-24-2019, 12:50 PM   #860

Larry, your bike sat around for a long time so you absolutely do want to change the oil right away. Do you have filters? It probably doesn't need one, except that the oil is old in age not miles, and could have built up contaminants. It surely has the original oil fill in it and hasn't even had the break-in oil change. Your plan to change both again at 500 seems reasonable.

As far as level, lean it over on the side stand; does the level appear to go down? If not, then it's probably significantly overfilled. I'll put pics below of mine on the side stand (no oil visible) and center stand (oil at half).

If there's any chance you'll be in Phoenix and need a filter, I'd be happy to give you one. Otherwise ordering a supply from NZ is the best way to go. He'll sell you a kit with a bunch of filters and some spare o-rings and sealing washers at a great price. You're also welcome to bring the bike for a little time working on it, I have a full shop and have gone through a lot of the bike a few times now.

On oil choices, I've been using Rotella T6 which is cheap for a synthetic and it works great, seems to be staying clean.

Old 05-24-2019, 08:32 PM   #861

https://www.ebay.com/itm/30316519476...84.m1555.l2649

That is the filter link - need the small black filters or O rings etc just PM I can do etc and just accept Paypal n post to you

Old 05-25-2019, 08:23 PM   #862

I changed the oil to quakerstate motorcycle oil and left the filter in the bike. I now have 450 miles on the bike. I will put a few hundred more on the bike while I am waiting for my filters that I ordered from CSC.

I also had to order 2 key blanks as my bike came with one key.

I have been riding it on some gravel roads and a few trails, but mostly on the pavement. I like this bike. I think it will be a keeper.

I need to fashion a sheep skin cover for this seat. Or add a jell pad. Ouch.

Old 06-11-2019, 08:23 PM   #863

Old 06-12-2019, 10:14 AM   #864

I must have that sticker.

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 06-12-2019, 03:43 PM   #865

Here you go...

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

In "what did you do today," I'm installing a high-power USB adapter after work, that just arrived from Amazon. The OEM optional one, as everyone knows, doesn't have enough power to even keep up with a modern phone running music, let alone GPS too.

Old 06-12-2019, 10:34 PM   #866

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
I must have that sticker.
But golly gee Wally.... Won't the lettering be way too small to read if it has to fit on the end of the round?

" Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted." - John Lennon

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
― Thomas Jefferson

"If you don't know where you're going any road will take you there" ....George Harrison song

Old 06-13-2019, 09:59 AM   #867

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvarez View Post
Thanks! I just now ordered two. If I didn't get one for Mrs. 2LZ, she'd not forgive me.

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 06-13-2019, 01:59 PM   #868

DAMN! I just realized I should have gotten two. I have a "new" CBR1100XX arriving tomorrow.

Old 06-14-2019, 01:37 PM   #869

larryinseattle "Could gas be getting to the oil somehow? Thereby raising the oil level in the crankcase? I think I will just drop the oil and put in some fresh and leave the filter alone until the 500 mile make and change the filter and the oil then."

When changing oil, put in 1.7 quarts. The oil in the window raises and lowers so don't go by that necessarily. The RX3 has 2 oil pumps and the oil level in the window all depends on how long it has ran. So read the tutorial and I believe it says something about starting it for so long, shutting it off and then putting the bike upright to check level in window. It's been a few years since I read it as mines a 2015.
As far as gas ,antifreeze getting into the oil to raise the level, this was a big concern back in 2015 when the bike was new and we didn't understand why the oil level would go up and down and assumed they had problems with gas getting into oil. NOPE
On my bike I put in the 1.7 quarts with filter change and never hardly check it until next oil change. rj

Old 06-19-2019, 10:20 AM   #870

last night i removed the side panniers and bracketry, bike looks cleaner and feels lighter!