Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pit/Pocket Bikes & Scooters
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2012, 05:36 PM   #1

125 Gio racing cdi problems

Hey there i have a 2008 (or 2009 cant remember when i got it) gio 125 and it runs fine, starts first or second kick and have zero issues. I wanted to try to get a little more out of it so i ordered one of those racing cdis for it. When it arrived i unplugged my old one and plugged in the new one and nothing. Checked to make sure everyhting was plugged in all the way, plugged in the stock one and its fine but doesnt work at a ll with the new one so i tried another one (provided for free from the shop i ordered from ) still no luck... Just wondering if anyone else has had simialr issues or if there is something simple i am forgetting about.

Old 05-07-2012, 05:47 PM   #2

Welcome!

I have no experience with a racing CDI on the 125's, but my guess is that it's simply incompatible. Perhaps it's an AC vs. DC issue.

Which shop are you buying from? Sounds like good service.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-07-2012, 06:09 PM   #3

Yeah thats what i was thinking too, any easy way to check/fix? The shop is t4bmotorsports.com they are out of calgary and yes they are AWESOME!

Old 05-07-2012, 06:15 PM   #4

I've never tried to test a CDI, so I don't know the answer. Perhaps somebody else will chime in. Can you show us a pic of the racing CDI and the connectors?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-07-2012, 06:49 PM   #5

[/img]

Old 05-07-2012, 08:54 PM   #6

That would have been the style I guessed would work. Can the dealer confirm that they have worked in 125's in the past? Maybe he can try on on a bike in the shop for you. Maybe you got two bad ones in a row.

Old 05-12-2012, 11:17 AM   #7

I put the same cdi in the boys new 125 and it worked just fine.
Perhaps you have a defective unit?
Also check to make sure when you plugged it in that the pins did not get bent over or that they did not get puched out of the socket.
The boy had a bent pin in his.

I believe there is a size difference between the ac and dc units one is much bigger. You tube will give more details as there is a comparison vid on there somewhere.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.

Pocket Bike Canada is a deceitful retailer.
Stay away from them.