Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2015, 03:22 PM   #61

Jets are screwed all the in. The air/fuel screw on the bottom of the carb; I think I started with about two full turns out from seated and then, with the bike running and idling around a 1000 to 1200 RPM, turned the screw in until the idle went down, then back out again until the highest idle speed was obtained. The screw on the bowl is a drain screw (If we're talking about the same thing. LOL). It should be tight. The screw on the right side of the carb (with the spring on it) is the idle setting. I just set it to low as possible for a smooth idle.

Old 08-20-2015, 03:20 PM   #62

Hi-Bird Update

I got my new spokes for the back wheel on the Hi-Bird and installed them last night. Also added some grease to the outside of the bearings. They feel good so I'm not replacing them. Got the tire back on without pinching the tube Lots of soap and powder this time.

Moving to the front of the bike, I wanted to check the stem bearings as the things felt loose and the big nut that holds the triple clamp on didn't look right.

Well, first off, it's not the correct nut at all. Has the wrong thread. But by removing the triple clamp and the nut for the steering stem I was able to restore the the threads on the stem.

Turns out the race was broken and one of the ball bearings was missing. I didn't even bother to look at the bottom. Searching for a new set of bearings and stem nut now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bearings.jpg (75.2 KB, 150 views)

Old 08-20-2015, 10:23 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_e View Post
Got the little Baja 125 put back together and running.

I know I said the 150 was going to be off-road only, but just for "fun" I sent in a registration application to Vermont. Sent them $74 for registration and sales tax (went with $500 for the value so as not to raise any flags). The worst than can happen is they send my check back if they don't accept that it's a street legal bike. If it was a Lifan or some other well known brand I'm pretty sure there'd be no issue. But this brand doesn't come up any any list of brands, other than the one I mentioned earlier, I can find.
Hey rich an update on ga DMV. Went into the dmv and they were going to issue a tag for me right away but noticed it had off road only on the MSO and said it would have to be inspected. So I hauled the bike on a trailer to their specific inspector and he said that since it said off road only on the MSO he couldn't inspect it. He got n the phone with the DOR of motor Vehicles and they said that because the frame isn't rated for road use.

So it looks like I will have to go the Vermont route as well. Either the Vermont route or bonded title route.

Since you recently did this was it online or did you use the address posted in they sticky. I plan on sending Vermont the bill of sale without my mso and the money. I'm not sure if all the information posted is accurate still so I was going to ask you what you did?

Old 08-20-2015, 10:43 PM   #64

Yeah I just went by the process in the post here. Haven't heard anything yet.

Old 08-20-2015, 11:10 PM   #65

Quote:
Yeah I just went by the process in the post here. Haven't heard anything yet.
Let us know how everything goes. My didn't even try to argue with the dmv because I've learned it's easier if you just try to go through loop holes. I have a cousin that is a state patrol that I'm sure can do the inspection if it's absolutely necessary. Other than dot head light tail lights and blinkers and the fact that it has a speed/odometer may not be enough but I'm sure we can figure something out. It's a great trail bike it'd just be easier to drive it to the trail you want to ride. If I end up getting Vermont registration tags I may just ride around on vt tags until I get a ticket.

Old 08-21-2015, 12:41 AM   #66

Rich, my guess is that early ('81-'83) XR200 bearings and races are a match. I hope I'm right.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-21-2015, 11:54 AM   #67

Found a bearing kit on AliExpress that "looks" right. The waiting game begins again. I may search for some Honda bearings and see if I can get them faster from a domestic source.

Got plenty to keep me busy though. Picked up another CB-750 last night for only $250. Missing some parts (air box, side covers) and the seat is trash, but it does start.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg side.JPG (95.9 KB, 158 views)

Old 08-22-2015, 10:44 AM   #68

I haven't seen a Windjammer like that for a long time. When I was a kid, I wanted to chop the windshield on one, and install a killer stereo. I can't believe I was ever that young.

Good score! I hope you start a thread on it.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-24-2015, 04:11 PM   #69

Nice finds! im the same way. Always a new project.

Old 08-26-2015, 11:43 AM   #70

Rich, I found the tank covers. If you want 'em, PM me the details. If you send some fine Kansas wheat ale, I'll drink to your health.

Name:  Shroud Outside.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  92.7 KB

Name:  Shroud Inside.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  93.5 KB

Old 08-28-2015, 10:54 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Rich, I found the tank covers. If you want 'em, PM me the details. If you send some fine Kansas wheat ale, I'll drink to your health.
Thanks Weld. PM sent.

Old 08-28-2015, 11:11 AM   #72

Vermont Tags

Vermont cashed the check I sent them for the registration on the 150. I assume that means they'll be sending me the the tags soon . Just to recap: I just followed the guidance posted at http://www.chinonthetank.com/2014/04...-registration/. Filled out form, attached bill of sale, computed sales tax + fees, attached check, and mail it all in. That was on 14 August. On 26 August, they deposited the check.

I guess I'll go ahead and put some turn signals on it this weekend. Wiring is still there but the signals are long gone.

I got the speedometer working. Ordered the wrong cable. I was able to cut the fittings off my old cable housing and install them on the new cable housing. Couldn't just replace the cable because the housing was shredded.

Old 08-28-2015, 11:20 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
I haven't seen a Windjammer like that for a long time. When I was a kid, I wanted to chop the windshield on one, and install a killer stereo. I can't believe I was ever that young.

Good score! I hope you start a thread on it.
I got the CB-750 to actually start and run the other day. Not to well without an airbox, but it did run. The front caliper was sticking so I didn't try to ride it. Might start a thread on it this fall. Got to finish up all these other "CBs" first. Not sure what direction I'm going to go with the CB-750. I've got 3 SOHC 750s now. I'll keep one, forever. The other two? I might fix up an sell (I keep telling my wife they are my "retirement fund"). But I really hate to sell anything. LOL. I was thinking of just having three versions of the same bike, 1) a mild cafe racer (the one I posted earlier), 2) a stock version, and 3) a touring version, this one with the Windjammer and some Bates luggage on the rear.

Old 08-28-2015, 12:04 PM   #74

They're very versatile bikes; you can do so much with them.

Please check your PM's.

Old 08-28-2015, 12:25 PM   #75

Quote:
Vermont cashed the check I sent them for the registration on the 150. I assume that means they'll be sending me the the tags soon . Just to recap: I just followed the guidance posted at http://www.chinonthetank.com/2014/04...-registration/. Filled out form, attached bill of sale, computed sales tax + fees, attached check, and mail it all in. That was on 14 August. On 26 August, they deposited the check...
Thanks for the good report.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894