Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2016, 08:35 PM   #1

Sumo Torque 250

Going to ride SA this year. Was originally going to ride down through Mexico and Central America but the costs of crossing the Darien and shipping my bike back have made buying a bike in South America and selling it back the most practical. There's an expat in Peru who will buy a Sumo Torque, set it up, break it in, transfer ownership and buy it back when I'm done. I have searched the interweb and this site and info on this bike is very limited. Anyone out there have any info on this bike?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg torque.jpg (31.1 KB, 625 views)

2015 Haosen Hawk 250
2014 CRF250L
2014 CB500X Rally Raid

Old 01-20-2016, 10:03 PM   #2

From http://importacionescallaoembarcador...arzo-2014.html we knew who's the exporter
After search in chinese , there's a JV (重庆炙焱动力制造有限公司 aka http://www.fuegopower.com) btw 重庆(Chongqing) 苏摩 (SUMO)进出口贸易 (Trading) 有限公司 + CHINA MOTORS INDUSTRY GROUP CO.,LIMITED
---
most Chonda CB250 is 65.5 * 62.2 (as CRF230) , Zongshen had 69mm variety

Last edited by humanbeing; 01-20-2016 at 11:21 PM.

Old 01-20-2016, 11:24 PM   #3

I think that guy posts on Horizons, or at least did post there? I wouldn't worry too much about how well this bike will hold up, as the guy is a motorcycle mechanic and teaches mechanics at the local college down there from what I remember reading his thread. I was/am thinking of doing something like this here in Yuma since I am right on the border, but using the Hawk 250. Cheap bikes are generally not California certified, so that eliminates people able to start out there (until CSC starts selling their TT), and Arizona issues a plate and title right on the spot. Besides, even when CSC starts selling their bikes, if one was buying one (or the RX3 for that matter) to do such a trip, they should still get their titling done in Arizona as California takes a few weeks.

That being said, the only negative I can find on using his service, is that like California, Peru takes a few weeks to get a title, so you are pretty much in Peru for several weeks.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 01-21-2016, 04:51 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by humanbeing View Post
From http://importacionescallaoembarcador...arzo-2014.html we knew who's the exporter
After search in chinese , there's a JV (重庆炙焱动力制造有限公司 aka http://www.fuegopower.com) btw 重庆(Chongqing) 苏摩 (SUMO)进出口贸易 (Trading) 有限公司 + CHINA MOTORS INDUSTRY GROUP CO.,LIMITED
---
most Chonda CB250 is 65.5 * 62.2 (as CRF230) , Zongshen had 69mm variety
Thanks HB
Looks like this is the same as the same as the Motohead Tornado 250. It is also a clone of the Honda XR250 Tornado which has an excellent reputation as an overland bike.

2015 Haosen Hawk 250
2014 CRF250L
2014 CB500X Rally Raid

Old 01-21-2016, 05:02 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
I think that guy posts on Horizons, or at least did post there? I wouldn't worry too much about how well this bike will hold up, as the guy is a motorcycle mechanic and teaches mechanics at the local college down there from what I remember reading his thread. I was/am thinking of doing something like this here in Yuma since I am right on the border, but using the Hawk 250. Cheap bikes are generally not California certified, so that eliminates people able to start out there (until CSC starts selling their TT), and Arizona issues a plate and title right on the spot. Besides, even when CSC starts selling their bikes, if one was buying one (or the RX3 for that matter) to do such a trip, they should still get their titling done in Arizona as California takes a few weeks.

That being said, the only negative I can find on using his service, is that like California, Peru takes a few weeks to get a title, so you are pretty much in Peru for several weeks.
Gracias Culcune

Yeah The guys name is Toby Shannon, i've been in contact with him and he swears by the Sumo. He also sells and buys back the Honda CRF250L and XR250 Tornado but the prices are really high. He also sells the RX3 at $4444 so its no real bargain either.

I am planning on spending a month in Peru, then heading north to Colombia before turning south along the coast towards Ushuaia.

Was hoping to get some first hand reviews here as most reviews are in Spanish and "Mi espanol es muy malo".

2015 Haosen Hawk 250
2014 CRF250L
2014 CB500X Rally Raid

Old 01-21-2016, 11:56 PM   #6

Thumbs Up

This is the guy's thread...did you see this? (It has some reviews, and he seems pretty much on the up and up!

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hub...get-ride-76478

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 01-22-2016, 06:05 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
This is the guy's thread...did you see this? (It has some reviews, and he seems pretty much on the up and up!

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hub...get-ride-76478

2015 Haosen Hawk 250
2014 CRF250L
2014 CB500X Rally Raid