Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2015, 11:30 AM   #1

150CC Enduro: fifty dollars to make you holler

I'm back after an absence of about a year (or more). I sold my 200GY last year (shown below).

Since I got back into street bikes I wasn't using it much and needed some cash so I let it go. I've missed it though and have been keeping my eyes out for another.

So... I ended up with this wreck. I don't know what it is, there are no markings on the engine:

The good: It was only $50
The bad: Several broken spokes on the front wheel, left front engine (stator) cover cracked, clutch handle broken, kick-starter lever broken, and, more to follow I'm sure.

I'll check it out more after work today. But it's in pretty rough shape. I have some side covers that may fit it and a front fender. I'm not concerned about the lights, as I'll probably just remove all the street stuff anyway.

I may be able to fix the engine cover with JB Weld, if I can't find a new one (I'll post a picture of the damage later to see what you guys think). But the front wheel may be a problem. I haven't seen any others with the rotor mounted on the right side before. I don't know, could be as simple as flipping a GY2/5 wheel around or just install the forks off one. You'll notice the front wheel mounts to the bottom of the forks, not to the front as in the 200 series of bikes I'm used to seeing.

Anyway, I'm glad to be back here with another Chinabike. It was the clones that got me back into riding again when I got my 200 in 2007. Since then I've accumulated a hoard of Honda CBs. Here's my favorite - a 78 750:

Old 07-09-2015, 12:22 PM   #2

I'm in love with your CB!

Did you get a title for your new bike, or will it be dirt-only?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-09-2015, 12:26 PM   #3

Thanks! I tried to set the 750 up like one that stuck in my mind when they were new and I was 18 LOL.

No title, it'll be off-road only.

Old 07-09-2015, 12:29 PM   #4

Perhaps you'd just care to ask WA to box up everything he has and ship it to you. I'm sure you'll find a use for a lot of it, and you could give away what you can't use.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-10-2015, 03:49 PM   #5

Hooked up a battery to it last night. Nothing, nada, zero. Thought maybe the main fuse blew since there are bare wires from the lights and signals being ripped off. The fuse was good. Checked the ignition switch and found that it was bad. I jumpered the wires from the switch (red to black and green to black with white stripe) and got power on but the starter switch didn't do anything, I may have not jumped the wires correctly, not sure. I shorted the solenoid and got it turning over but no spark.

So today I started ordering parts. Got a kit with all new ignition electrics for $24 (coil, CDI, solenoid, plug), new ignition switch, new kill/starter switch and some spokes for the front wheel. The wheel actually still looks to be okay but has a lot of broken spokes so I'm hoping I can save it. I was also lucky enough to find the engine cover for only $18. Picture of the crack below. Got a gasket set too.

So the project is dead in the water for now. It'll probably be two or three weeks for the parts to arrive from China. Worth the wait I think because some of the parts from U.S. sellers on ebay were a lot more expensive.

Old 07-10-2015, 05:00 PM   #6

Welcome back, and thanks for sharing your project with us.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 07-11-2015, 12:18 PM   #7

I'm betting that the starter solenoid trigger circuit is routed through both brake switches in parallel. Activate either switch, and the solenoid should engage when you hit the button. If not, check both switches and the starter switch for continuity.

Old 07-14-2015, 01:49 PM   #8

Found out a little more about the bike by checking the VIN and engine number:

It was made by:
Manufacturer Name-Chongqing Xgjao Motorcycle Co Ltd
WMI-LX8/
Address-Shangqiao Industrial Zone
Shapingba, 400037 District Chongqing 400037, China
Product Type-Motorcycle, Moped
Source: http://www.nhtsa.gov/apps/manufacturer/lookup.htm

It's a 2004
Source: http://www.vindecoder.net/

The engine is 150CC (162FMJ) CG150 (Just Googled "162FMJ".

Just posting in case anyone else is looking for tools to help decode the numbers and for my own record.

Old 07-19-2015, 08:35 PM   #9

Busy weekend! Picked up two more CBs. A 2007 Hi-Bird and a Baja Dirt Runner 125. The Hi-Bird has a title. I got it to run today (another bad ignition switch). Didn't ride it because the battery box is missing. Going to fab something up for that. I believe the Hi-Bird is the 250 (223) CC, it has the 169FMM OHC engine.

The Baja was missing the CDI module. The one from the Hi-Bird wouldn't fit (square vs. round plugs). The one on the 150 fit but I discovered it had a broken pin, which is probably why I can't get it fire. Still waiting on a new one I ordered. I have two other CDIs but I think they are AC fired. One is really large (compared to the one in the Hi-Bird and the 150), the other is a blue aluminum "high performance" job. Nether produced any spark on the Baja.

I had already started to dissemble the bikes and didn't get any complete pictures. The Baja looks pretty good, it's all there. The Hi-Bird has the plastics but someone spray painted them without removing the decals so it looks pretty sad.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hibird (Medium).jpg (82.4 KB, 706 views)
File Type: jpg dirtrunner.jpg (80.8 KB, 468 views)

Old 07-20-2015, 11:10 AM   #10

Good scores, especially on the Hi-Bird. Good luck that it came with a decent rack.

One of the poor points of the Hi-Bird (and others) design is the long petcock that extends from the tank. If the tank is plastic, the long valve places too much stress at the mounting point, and creates a leak. Eventually, the nuts that are embedded in the plastic loosen, making it nearly impossible to solve. I managed to cobble one together with some Permatex Cold Weld and a shorter petcock.

The extended petcock is the reason for the windowed trim below the rear of the tank. I removed the red tank shroud and the trim when I installed a shorter petcock. It's not pretty, but it's not bad.

I've had it with those stock air boxes, so I use these with a 30mm Mikuni: http://www.ebay.com/itm/BLACK-42mm-B...4338a6&vxp=mtr

Old 07-20-2015, 11:45 AM   #11

I was thinking of going to a pod filter. Maybe I'll have enough room to put the battery in place of the air box.

Old 07-20-2015, 12:07 PM   #12

You need to update your sig to reflect your two new scores.

Old 07-21-2015, 01:04 PM   #13

Some of the parts I ordered from the AliExpress site came in yesterday. 10 days from order to delivery is pretty good from China given the fact I'm out in the sticks and all my mail seems to take an extra day to get here (thanks to the closing of the postal sorting facility in Topeka, KS).

Regrettably, the CDI I ordered was a square plug type and I need a AC round plug for the Baja 125 and the Xgjao 150. Oh well, another spare for the collection.

I'm expecting two more packages to arrive today.

So far, I'm pretty pleased with ALiexpress.

Last edited by rich_e; 07-24-2015 at 10:31 PM. Reason: AC. The CDIs are AC!

Old 07-24-2015, 09:50 PM   #14

We have another runner

I got the 150 running today. Needed a CDI. Noticed the slide was stuck in the carb, guess it's been sitting for a long time LOL. I didn't even clean out the carb yet, just sprayed some penetrating oil in it and removed the slide and stuck it back in. These engines are just something else. This poor thing is pumping oil out of the crack in the side cover and still starts right up. It shocked me when it started.

[youtube]gUxmX_ZG024[/youtube]

I didn't expect this much oil from the stator cover. Is it supposed to have oil in there?

The Baja Dirt Runner 125 needs a new stator. The mount for pickup is broke.
I was getting a signal from it, maybe 1 or 2 volts. The lead to the CDI was putting out 8 or 9 volts (kicking it over, no electric start on it). I'm assuming the stator is the cause of the no spark issue. I've tried a new CDI and coil and plug.

Just waiting on more parts now.

The Hi-Bird doesn't need much, it's running. Just have to patch the back tube, install the ignition switch (when it comes), mount the battery somewhere, and cleanup the wiring. I'm going to put a VM26 on it with a foam filter, so the battery will go in place of the airbox.

The 150 needs a few front spokes and the stator cover. Both are on order. Then I need to clean up the wiring (remove the lights, horn, etc.) and it'll be good to go. I'll probably sell it as quick as I can. It has the most potential for profit. I've spent about $125 on it (Spokes $10, CDI $8, Stator cover $20 , ignition switch $2, front tube $14, battery $23, clutch lever $8, front master cylinder $14, hand grips and throttle tube $6, kick starter lever $18). Man this stuff adds up fast So $175 total with the $50 purchase. I should be able to get $400 for it when it's all said and done.

Old 07-24-2015, 10:38 PM   #15

I just made a spreadsheet of the all the parts I've ordered for these three...don't ever do that