Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2019, 10:57 PM   #1

Rhino 250 New Carb Problem

So I got this carb off amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 So it turns out its a Chinese knockoff. I installed it and the engine was racing. Adjusted idle screw, mixture screw, nothing helped. Tried new needles, no change. I believe there is an air leak and that the cheap gasket is ineffective. I ran the engine for awhile while checking for gasket leaks and engine oil started spurting out my crank case vent. I hope this carb didn't jack anything up. What are my options?

Old 04-25-2019, 11:44 PM   #2

Was there any problems prior to replacing the new carb?

What size jets are you using?

Have you verified the throttle is closing completely? Sometimes the throttle cable will need to be adjusted. There should be a little bit of play/slack in the throttle

How many turns out is the air/fuel screw? It is the screw on the bottom.

Old 04-26-2019, 10:16 AM   #3

Same carb I have on everything.
The Rhino throttle cable probably didn't seat all the way down into the slide cap. Check that. I had to "reformat" mine a little to get the cable sheath to seat.
If it doesn't seat, it holds the throttle open a little.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 04-27-2019, 05:57 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies.

The stock carb worked fine, but I wanted a carb I could open and adjust the jets.

I've went through several different size jets and none changed the behavior of the engine.

I will check about getting the throttle cable to seat. I thought it was but I could be wrong. I don't know all that much about carbs.

Old 04-28-2019, 10:19 AM   #5

2LZ spelled out the likely issue. Try the top cap from your original carb on your new one. That's what I did and the problem went away.
2016 Tao Tao 125D

Old 04-29-2019, 03:58 PM   #6

I had to cut away a little bit of the shielding of the gas cable on mine.... so the cable had a little bit more throw.

Just nibbled away a little at a time until the idle was normal. If you cut too much away the cable is no good... without some hoopa joop repair method.

When it happened to me I thought the twisting action of screwing the cap on was the culprit... tried pre-twisting in the opposite direction with no luck.

Didn't think to try the cap from the old carb or it was even compatible with the Mikuni clone I was replacing it with.... would definitely go that route first.

Old 04-29-2019, 05:17 PM   #7

Just wanted to thank this thread. I was having a terrible time getting my new carburetor to work. I was using the old cap. Put new cap on works perfect.
Thanks again