Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3

Old 09-14-2017, 07:27 AM   #1

headlight goes out

if i am lazy switching from high to lo beam or vice versa my lights go black the switch gets caught in the middle and everything goes black is this part of owning a Zong or do i need a new switch no problem with a positive flipping of said switch just wondering if anyone else has had this happen if it's just a quirk i can deal with it thank you all WILLY

Old 09-14-2017, 11:57 AM   #2

Willy, I would just operate it like you mean it. There is probably a "grey" area in the switch that is between high and low beam meant to totally disconnect the current so that it doesn't turn both beams on at once and cause a surge in current and blind and erase the childhood memory of someone . I've found that I can make most things fail if I fiddle with it long enough. Mine does the same. Others ??? rj

Old 09-14-2017, 12:11 PM   #3

It's not your imagination; mine feels the same way. When I was having headlight burnout issues that little gap really made me nervous because I ride in REALLY dark places! Search the forum for Spudrider's Headlight Switch Repair post for one man's solution. I'm just going to live with it, but I don't like it either.

Old 09-14-2017, 01:10 PM   #4

don't worry from now on i will be switching back and forth with a purpose this morning for 1sec when everything went black was not a feeling i want to experience again right where the deer like to cross too

Old 09-16-2017, 09:41 AM   #5

When I realized that my headlight switch had developed a "dead" zone between low and high beams, I was able to get a replacement switch from CSC under warranty. I have not yet installed it, since the problem has not gotten worse. And I can tell if the headlight is on by the light that gets reflected along the bottom of the windscreen. If I don't see the light at the base of the windscreen, I jiggle the switch until the headlight comes on

Main point is to recognize you have a dead spot and not ride with the headlight inadvertently off.

But this is one of the niggles I wish Zongshen would fix.

Old 09-26-2017, 05:17 PM   #6

Mine does it too if I move the switch too slow between high and low beam.

Old 09-26-2017, 05:25 PM   #7

I had to replace the switch on my TT250 for the same reason. The TT uses the same assembly as the RX3. It wouldn't work properly unless I exerted some sideways pressure when I switched from low to high beam. Then it stopped working altogether.

On the plus side it was less than $40 shipped and arrived in three days. So CSC really does have all the spare parts in California.

Cheers,

Dan K.

Dan's Motorcycle Blog - "Lost? I'm not lost. I'm just exploring. . ."