Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2017, 09:18 PM   #1

LED light for the RX3

I cannot remember who recommended this upgrade. http://stores.advmonster.com/headlight-replacement/ Look for Native H4 It shows as being out of stock now. This is a true drop in replacement for the H4 bulb. Oh, and it's BRIGHT. This bulb draws 25 watts. That's about half of what the OEM bulb draws. I think this is the single most cost effective upgrade I have made so far.

Old 09-20-2017, 10:58 PM   #2

They are showing a replacement now as the H4 R3....mmmm

Would like to try that.

Old 09-24-2017, 08:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoungbl View Post
I cannot remember who recommended this upgrade. http://stores.advmonster.com/headlight-replacement/ Look for Native H4 It shows as being out of stock now. This is a true drop in replacement for the H4 bulb. Oh, and it's BRIGHT. This bulb draws 25 watts. That's about half of what the OEM bulb draws. I think this is the single most cost effective upgrade I have made so far.
The Native H4 is a POS. It is great for a daylight conspicuity light but has lousy beams for nighttime. PM me and I'll provide more info.

I have been pleased with Genssi Elite LEDs in my RX3, but I did have to make a hole in the headlight shell for it to fit. Available on eBay. Very good low beam cutoff and high beam aim & distance.

BTW: LEDs that look like the Native H4 are available on eBay for about $12. But don't waste your money.

Old 09-25-2017, 03:15 PM   #4

Other then the CSC LED H4, Is there a good/excellent LED that doesn't require modifying the housing (i.e. plug/play)? As I ride more any more in the dark, thanks to shorter days, I'm finding the OEM is crap! Kind of scary when I can easily out ride the low beam.

Old 09-26-2017, 11:40 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vttrailboss View Post
Other then the CSC LED H4, Is there a good/excellent LED that doesn't require modifying the housing (i.e. plug/play)? As I ride more any more in the dark, thanks to shorter days, I'm finding the OEM is crap! Kind of scary when I can easily out ride the low beam.
I think that some folks have found that adding an accessory led spot type light to A1 or A2 fills the bill with no alterations to the head lamp.

Old 09-26-2017, 01:14 PM   #6

I did both. LED headlight upgrade and spot lights. I have the billeted headlight cover and it causes a waffle pattern of light and the spot lights both fill in that waffle patter but also spread the beam to the outside a bit. They are positioned in such a way that I've never had a car flash its lights at me for blinding them but I get great visibility.

Old 09-26-2017, 04:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay In Milpitas View Post
I think that some folks have found that adding an accessory led spot type light to A1 or A2 fills the bill with no alterations to the head lamp.
Thanks... that's just what I did, but I'd like to add more white light to the A1 floods. Get more distance with the high beam!

Old 09-26-2017, 04:48 PM   #8

FJ... Which LED did you use? Did you have to drill or cut a relief for the heat sink?

Old 09-26-2017, 08:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by vttrailboss View Post
Thanks... that's just what I did, but I'd like to add more white light to the A1 floods. Get more distance with the high beam!
Sorry, I meant to say spot, not flood, but you are right about mounting high.

Old 09-26-2017, 09:17 PM   #10

I used the genssi elite LED. Available on eBay for $30. Didn’t have to drill anything out, just had to leave off the rubber boot right behind the bulb but no water can get in there anyway. The ballast fits in the housing behind the built and the heat sink is reversible to make it fit. This light has a great low beam cutoff and the ability to tune its position in the housing which allowed me to get a great beam pattern for both low and high beam.

Old 09-26-2017, 09:28 PM   #11

I mounted my spot lights using the bolts that hold the headlight assembly on. Excellent place for them for many reasons.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7308.jpg (97.2 KB, 206 views)

Old 09-27-2017, 07:05 AM   #12

Sounds good Fj,

I mounted these floods on my crash bars. They seem to be more like spots, but I like how much light they add to everything in front of me.

Any issues with heat in your stock housing? How much of a PIA was installation and 'tuning' the pattern?

J
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170416_173627.jpg (99.1 KB, 201 views)

Old 09-27-2017, 02:49 PM   #13

Install was very easy other than when I turned the head sink around to fit it's kind of wide so it blocked the ability to screw down the bulb so I had to trip just a bit off the plastic screw down ring grab points to let it get in there. As far as tuning, I just waited till it was dark and held the headlight assembly in my hands and then turned the element until the beam was perfect, pulled out the bulb and tightened the adjustment lock screw in place. Took maybe 5minutes to tune. I'm not sure if it gets hot in there but its not hot enough to have melted anything and after 1 year of ownership at 13,600 miles it hasn't failed. I like your setup with the bigger lights but I wanted lights I could have on riding on the street and didn't want to blind the other cars or get pulled over for not DOT approved lights.

Old 09-27-2017, 03:15 PM   #14

[QUOTE=... I wanted lights I could have on riding on the street and didn't want to blind the other cars or get pulled over for not DOT approved lights.[/QUOTE]

I keep them on all the time. So far no one has flashed their lights or brake checked me. No issues passing police, either. I can simply turn them off if there's a problem. I definitely like the added 'presence' they give me, though. These are little bikes, and a lot of [old] people don't seem to see any bikes!

I've also added more tail lights for a larger picture to. ;-)