Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2017, 05:17 PM   #1

Extra fuel... fuel cell? Thoughts?

I came across these on clearance at walmart. I thought they might make a worthwhile emergency fuel source container. I haven't tried them with gas, but they appear sturdy, and have two seals (although I don't know if the seals would stand up to gas).

Thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170905_161852.jpg (85.9 KB, 342 views)
File Type: jpg 20170905_161929.jpg (99.0 KB, 342 views)

Old 09-05-2017, 05:39 PM   #2

Well, that's about 30 miles worth of gas. On a recent trip I averaged 65mph and never put more than 3.3 gallons in the tank. The 3.3 was after 206 miles so that tank only averaged 62.4 mpg. At that point I had almost a full gallon gas in the tank. Given that I'd say that 250 mile range is reasonable. Personally, I'd hesitate to carry extra gas unless I were really going into the wilderness. Yes, there are places where the next gas station is 100 miles away. That still gives me 150 miles of safety just in case the place I was counting on is closed. Seriously, this happened to me once in UT and the nearest station was 60 miles away. At any rate, with my luck any gas can would somehow defy my best attempts at security and I'd end up with all my stuff soaked in gasoline. On a related note, I see that the RC3 has a 5.2 gallon tank. Wonder it that tank fits the RX3?

Old 09-05-2017, 05:52 PM   #3

look in the lawn and garden section of Walmart, and look for a can of SEF small engine fuel, for 4 cycle, 94 octane it already comes in a round can sealed up, ethanol free, perfect for carrying for emergency fuel. and I don't see why you couldn't refill it. MY scooter requires hi test, and finding it at the moment is nearly impossible, especially since I refuse to ruin my fuel system with corn gas

Old 09-05-2017, 05:56 PM   #4

this is your other option, these can also be pressurized to use with an MSR stove, so if you camp they can do double duty. These are reinforced to resist pressure, where your drink bottle isn't, which can be a problem since gas cans form pressure when hot . the other thing useful about drink bottles, is they are good for storing oil, and take less space upright, then quart bottles, I have an aluminum one I blasted in the scooter, that holds about 3/4 of a quart https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...-20&th=1&psc=1

Old 09-05-2017, 11:16 PM   #5

Check out Tourtanks, reasonably priced and can be attached to back seat or rack.

http://www.tourtanks.com

2016 CanAm Spyder F3-L

Old 09-06-2017, 04:05 AM   #6

How about a chinese knock off rotoplax with monting bracket...

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3Lit...3a8e5920&tpp=1

77 Montesa Cota 348 MRR "Malcom Rathnell Replica"...

Current resto projects..
81 Honda CT110...
80 Kawasaki KL250A1...

11 Husaburg TE125 enduro... "sold" along with another 31...
Lifan 125 Pitbike.. "stolen" ...

KIWI BIKER FORUM...... http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/content.php

All the best offroad rides in NZ...
http://www.remotemoto.com/

E-mail... xtpete1@gmail.com

Old 09-06-2017, 01:53 PM   #7

I have these attached to the back of my Tourfellas:

http://www.coyotetrips.com/fuelcan/canwholder.html

http://www.coyotetrips.com/fuelcan/waterwholder.html

Cheers,

Dan K.

Dan's Motorcycle Blog - "Lost? I'm not lost. I'm just exploring. . ."

Old 09-06-2017, 02:25 PM   #8

LOL.... thanks for all the ideas, but I'm looking at a total $5 investment in these. I'm thinking I should fill (limited to 32oz) a bottle, and leave it in the sun... far from anything else. If it holds, without leak/seeping I think it'd be a good addition.

Old 09-06-2017, 11:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by vttrailboss View Post
LOL.... thanks for all the ideas, but I'm looking at a total $5 investment in these. I'm thinking I should fill (limited to 32oz) a bottle, and leave it in the sun... far from anything else. If it holds, without leak/seeping I think it'd be a good addition.
Be careful that your neighbors don't see that and report you to the Feds as a possible terrorist.

2016 CanAm Spyder F3-L

Old 09-07-2017, 07:08 AM   #10

LOL... I got that covered ;-)

"Be careful that your neighbors don't see that and report you to the Feds as a possible terrorist. "

Last edited by vttrailboss; 09-07-2017 at 07:09 AM. Reason: add quote from AZRider

Old 09-08-2017, 07:59 AM   #11

Be especially aware that your intended bottle is not designed for fuel. Remember the fuel volume will change depending upon temperature, and if you leave any air space in the bottle when you fill it, the pressure in that void will change with temperature and altitude.

The last thing you want is a venting fuel bottle inside your pannier.

Cheers,

Dan K.

Dan's Motorcycle Blog - "Lost? I'm not lost. I'm just exploring. . ."

Old 09-08-2017, 09:56 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanKearney View Post
Be especially aware that your intended bottle is not designed for fuel. Remember the fuel volume will change depending upon temperature, and if you leave any air space in the bottle when you fill it, the pressure in that void will change with temperature and altitude.

The last thing you want is a venting fuel bottle inside your pannier.

Cheers,

Dan K.
they will work, but you need to remember to leave expansion room, and the O ring needs to changed, the fuel bottles I posted are reinforced to pressurize for camp stoves, and already have the proper O ring, as cheap as they are, just get one designed for fuel, they don't need to vent, all modern gas cans are 100 percent sealed, but vapor needs a place to expand, when it cools it will condense again

Old 09-10-2017, 07:33 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostforawhile View Post
look in the lawn and garden section of Walmart, and look for a can of SEF small engine fuel, for 4 cycle, 94 octane it already comes in a round can sealed up, ethanol free, perfect for carrying for emergency fuel. and I don't see why you couldn't refill it....
Another walk through the lawn garden section, and they have SEF cans for $1 each! Guess, I'll stick with water in the bottles... keep these handy for long rides.

Old 09-10-2017, 01:44 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by vttrailboss View Post
Another walk through the lawn garden section, and they have SEF cans for $1 each! Guess, I'll stick with water in the bottles... keep these handy for long rides.

you got them on clearance? lucky man there is one for 4 cycle and one for 2 cycle premixed, you can get year around at VP stations and online but just for more cost