Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2017, 03:57 PM   #1

Location: 484 miles east from the geographical center of the United States
Initial oil change

I have been away from my bike since June 8, 2017. I also had spinal surgery. I was just cleared by neurosurgeon to wear a helmet and go on short rides (If I drop the bike, I cannot lift anything over 30lbs still).

I hit the two hundred mile mark the first week of June before I deployed.

It is ready for the first oil change.

The CSC website states 5W40 non synthetic oil then at 1,000 miles use 10W40 motorcycle synthetic oil.

Here's my problem: My local auto parts store does not have any 5W40 non synthetic oil. Everything they carry is either synthetic or semi synthetic.

I bought Lucas 10W40 semi synthetic and Royal Purple break in oil. It is 10W30.

Please advise. Thanks.

Life Member VFW / Life Member NRA / WWG1-WGA

Old 09-03-2017, 05:26 PM   #2

I'd put the 10W30 in the bike for about 500 miles, change it, and then go to whatever flavor 10W40 or 20W50 makes you feel good. The bike only holds a tiny bit of oil to begin with so changing the oil is not expensive. Heck, it gets to the point where the filters are almost as expensive as the oil. Personally, I like Rotella T in 20W50. I firmly believe that the oil is less important for break-in than the way you ride for those first 100 miles. If you have subjected the rings to WFO up to about 6K a few times the rings are seated. Then it's just a matter of getting all the mating parts happy with each other. When I changed my oil I was surprised at how little metal was on the magnetic drain plug. A bigger concern was the amount of fuel in that oil. Mine smelled strongly of fuel and an oil analysis confirmed the same. Now I run a much hotter thermostat and have no fuel in the oil. All is good. Oh, about 4500 miles now.

Old 09-04-2017, 08:29 AM   #3

At risk of entering oil recommendation territory, I believe it would be difficult to find any 5W-40 non synthetic oil. Not sure why CSC would recommend this for break in.

I do think using non-synthetic oil for first couple of oil changes is desirable. I have often read that synthetic oils may inhibit rings from "seating in" properly during the break in period.

So I think 10w-30 non synthetic would be the way to go.

Your Royal Purple break in oil would probably be OK, but there is a second possible issue. As you may know, automotive oils are not recommended for motorcycle applications since they may not work with oil-bath clutches. If the Royal Purple does not meet JASO requirements, it may/may not be the best choice for a motorcycle. Admittedly this may be picking nits.

I second Peter's suggestion for Shell Rotella. Rotella T4 is non-synthetic and available in 10W-30, and meets JASO requirements. And its inexpensive. A gallon will get you through two oil changes with a bit left over.

CSC informally recommends 15W-40 for the regular oil. Rotella T4 has you covered here as well, although you could go to T6 synthetic if you prefer. Last I checked Shell has not listed JASO for its T5 semisynthetic Rotella, so that may not be a best choice. (Though in fact I am running T5 in my RX3 with no issues. I plan to switch to T4 at the next change.)

Of course, many many other good options. Rotella, however, has a good track record in motorcycle applications, judging from many internet forums, and its inexpensive.

Old 09-04-2017, 02:14 PM   #4

I thought about Rotella also. I read about Rotella from another RX3 owner who has his own webpage. This Royal Purple I bought said it was designed for bikes also.

I'm going to call Gerry at CSC and ask him about the Royal Purple as well. I'll swing by good old Wally Mart and pick up some Rotella.

Thanks.

Old 09-04-2017, 08:04 PM   #5

you can get a ice cream headache over what oil to use just make sure it's not automotive oil i have been using mobil 15/40 from first oil change it's good enough for spud and his 22000 mile plus ZONG

Old 09-04-2017, 08:55 PM   #6

And Color, best wishes for your continued recovery and have a great time on your RX3!

Old 09-05-2017, 03:36 PM   #7

Thanks. I'm going crazy. I'm on house arrest for six weeks.

Old 09-05-2017, 03:46 PM   #8

Just spoke to Gerry at CSC. He said based on current temperatures to run 20W50 non synthetic for the break in and if I ride in the super cold to switch to 10W40.