Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3

Old 12-12-2015, 08:44 AM   #1

Head Scratching Zongshen RX3 vs Honda CB500X

When I first saw the Honda CB500X I really wanted one and was ready to buy one after winter passes. Then I came across the Zongshen RX3 and started learning about. After seeing the video 5000 Miles At 8000 RPM I was sold on it and wanted to buy one. I have ordered the book. I have not ridden either of these motorcycles. I have not even sat on either of them. It may not be fair to compare a 250cc motorcycle to a 500cc motorcycle, but from what I have seen and read about the RX3 it will hold it's own against the CB500X. If you have any thoughts on the comparison of the RX3 and the CB500X please share them with me. I'm anxious to see what you have to say about this. Ride safe my friends.

Old 12-12-2015, 09:56 AM   #2

I moved your thread to the RX3 Forum, where it will get greater exposure, and more replies.

The Honda CB500X is a very nice motorcycle. If you primarily want to ride on pavement, this bike is a good choice. However, even with the current $700 rebate, the $6,299 MSRP of the CB500X is much more expensive than the Zongshen RX3, and the CB500X doesn't have all the standard equipment included with the RX3. In addition, the CB500X is much heavier, even in stock form, and it doesn't have the suspension, or the off road capabilities of the RX3. Furthermore, the Zongshen RX3 will have a much lower cost of ownership.

The answer for me is simple. I would much rather own a Zongshen RX3 than Honda CB500X.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 12-12-2015, 12:08 PM   #3

Here's a good video review of the CB500X - http://www.motogeo.com/honda-cb500x-review/

I have not ridden the CB500X, but it has an advantage at highway speeds. But the RX3 has a lower seat, better ground clearance, more suspension travel, larger 18" front wheel (or optional 19"), spoked wheels and 70 mpg.

The RX3 is also 50 lbs lighter, fully equipped ... 100 lbs lighter if you remove the luggage and bars. Aftermarket accessories and parts for the RX3 will generally be cheaper than the Honda too. And CSC's service is consistently exceptional.

The RX3 has a few shortcomings that are easily addressed with inexpensive parts like sprockets, fork oil and a 55W headlight.

Overall, if someone were to give me a CB500X or an RX3 for free, I would still choose the RX3. It better matches the riding I want to do.

2015 CSC red RX3 with 19" front wheel, Shinko 804/805, skid plate, tall seat, 13T/45T sprockets, progressive shock, Winyoochanok windshield, GENSSI LED headlight, SW-Motech tankbag, Shorai Lithium battery
2014 Ural Patrol

Old 12-12-2015, 01:31 PM   #4

I'm a big fan of the CB500X just based on reviews and comments from owners. Haven't actually ridden one myself. That said, if I only could have one bike, I would seriously look for a CB500X at either a discount from a dealer or low mileage used. I think its a better all-round bike. More highway capability, more comfort, and more refinement.

Since I have another mid-sized Honda that is great on longer freeway trips, I have that part of the equation covered. I also have an older sportbike. My RX3 does everything else and its my most-used machine. Its fun to ride, great economy, easy to work on and farkle, and its a hoot being a part of the RX3 Club.

But my RX3 would leave me wanting more if it were my only bike. Again, if I could only have one bike, I'd go for the CB500X.

Old 12-12-2015, 03:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by detours View Post
Here's a good video review of the CB500X - http://www.motogeo.com/honda-cb500x-review/

I have not ridden the CB500X, but it has an advantage at highway speeds. But the RX3 has a lower seat, better ground clearance, more suspension travel, larger 18" front wheel (or optional 19"), spoked wheels and 70 mpg.

The RX3 is also 50 lbs lighter, fully equipped ... 100 lbs lighter if you remove the luggage and bars. Aftermarket accessories and parts for the RX3 will generally be cheaper than the Honda too. And CSC's service is consistently exceptional.

The RX3 has a few shortcomings that are easily addressed with inexpensive parts like sprockets, fork oil and a 55W headlight.

Overall, if someone were to give me a CB500X or an RX3 for free, I would still choose the RX3. It better matches the riding I want to do.
As always, thanks for you considered, thoughtful input. Also, thanks for posting the link to the video review of the CB500X.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 12-12-2015, 04:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVa Rider View Post
I'm a big fan of the CB500X just based on reviews and comments from owners. Haven't actually ridden one myself. That said, if I only could have one bike, I would seriously look for a CB500X at either a discount from a dealer or low mileage used. I think its a better all-round bike. More highway capability, more comfort, and more refinement.

Since I have another mid-sized Honda that is great on longer freeway trips, I have that part of the equation covered. I also have an older sportbike. My RX3 does everything else and its my most-used machine. Its fun to ride, great economy, easy to work on and farkle, and its a hoot being a part of the RX3 Club.

But my RX3 would leave me wanting more if it were my only bike. Again, if I could only have one bike, I'd go for the CB500X.
Thanks for sharing your detailed, helpful reply, NoVa. Indeed, if someone wants to ride primarily on pavement, with a few gravel roads added to the mix, the CB500X is an excellent choice.

However, I enjoy riding off road too much. I wouldn't want to be limited to one motorcycle, but if I were, I couldn't give up the versatility of a dirt bike, or dual sport motorcycle. If I had to pare down my current stable of motorcycles, I would keep my street legal, Honda CRF250X. My next choice would be my Honda XR650L.

If I sold all my current motorcycles, and I were buying another new bike, I would probably choose a Honda CRF450X, as the best compromise between the two Hondas I currently own. The Zongshen RX3 is the farthest compromise I am willing to make for comfort on the pavement, at the expense of off road capability. Therefore, it's my bias toward off road riding which leads me to prefer the Zongshen RX3 over the Honda CB500X.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 12-12-2015, 06:25 PM   #7

A bit off topic, sorry,
Here's 2 500cc bikes i stumbled across from Benelli 2016

Pretty cool i thought

http://www.benelli.co.uk/new-bike-de...-TREK-502-2016

http://www.benelli.co.uk/new-bike-de...-Leoncino-2016

Old 12-12-2015, 06:36 PM   #8

It's always great to hear from you, Kat. Indeed, those are nice motorcycles. Benelli is making some interesting bikes.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 12-12-2015, 06:51 PM   #9

That Benelli Leoncino reminds me of the new Ducati Scrambler.

Are Benelli's sold in the US?

As far as the Honda CB500x, I think it would be my choice if I could only have one bike, and didn't do off road riding.

I took a close look at the Honda. There was a local dealer that had new, left over 2013 and 2014's in the $5k range.

I decided on the RX3 for the lower price and the off-road capabilities.

jb

Old 12-13-2015, 10:36 AM   #10

I'd really like to see one of the moto magazines do a comparo test of the RX-3, CB500X, and BMW F700GS/G650GS.

We all know the RX-3 would lose the highway portion of the comparo (Just because of its top speed limitations), but I bet it would win both the canyon carving and off-road portions. And if the test included urban traffic riding, I think the RX-3 would be on top there too.

Cheers,

Dan K.

Dan's Motorcycle Blog - "Lost? I'm not lost. I'm just exploring. . ."

Old 12-13-2015, 12:13 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfla View Post

Are Benelli's sold in the US?

jb
They are represented by SSR, and have links, and show bikes on the SSR site, but it seems like there are no bikes in the US as of yet.

http://www.ssrmotorsports.com/

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 12-13-2015, 03:58 PM   #12

Just my opinion, but two positives I see in the design of the CB500X are:

1. Less prominent beak. I'm not enamored of that GS styling aspect on the RX-3.

2. Looks to be a plastic bash plate guard under the front of the engine, so it will tear off if hitting a log or rock instead of hanging the bike up. That's a good thing, yes?

My RX-3 will never be my only bike as I will always probably keep an interstate burner in the garage. But I can foresee always keeping it as long as I'm able to stay up on 2 wheels.

Old 12-13-2015, 05:28 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
They are represented by SSR, and have links, and show bikes on the SSR site, but it seems like there are no bikes in the US as of yet.

http://www.ssrmotorsports.com/
Thanks.

jb

Old 12-13-2015, 08:46 PM   #14
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanKearney View Post
I'd really like to see one of the moto magazines do a comparo test of the RX-3, CB500X, and BMW F700GS/G650GS.

We all know the RX-3 would lose the highway portion of the comparo (Just because of its top speed limitations), but I bet it would win both the canyon carving and off-road portions. And if the test included urban traffic riding, I think the RX-3 would be on top there too.

Cheers,

Dan K.
I've got something to say about this to anyone listening...I've beat the living snot out of my RX3 the last 6 weeks. The last three weekends I have joined group ADV rides flying around all kinds of backroads and trails in Ohio.
Aside from making new friends (which is good), I have marked SOOOO many exquisite roads and trails on my GPS it'll keep me happy for years, as there are spurs off of these as well.
And riding alongside the following bikes...Yamaha WR250R (four different ones), Several KLRs all farkled...yesterday a GS1200 Beemer...a SuperTenare...Veestroms, KTMs,, you freaking name it.
And the RX3 can hang right there in the worst with them.
It's fast enough for hauling mail on roads not intended for mail. And the power and top speed the big bikes offer? Unusable on these backroads and trails. Literally.
And a detriment when you go down or break down compared to the RX3s simplicity.
Really kinda amazed at the damn competency of this bike.

Old 12-13-2015, 08:51 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danimal View Post
I've got something to say about this to anyone listening...I've beat the living snot out of my RX3 the last 6 weeks. The last three weekends I have joined group ADV rides flying around all kinds of backroads and trails in Ohio.
Aside from making new friends (which is good), I have marked SOOOO many exquisite roads and trails on my GPS it'll keep me happy for years, as there are spurs off of these as well.
And riding alongside the following bikes...Yamaha WR250R (four different ones), Several KLRs all farkled...yesterday a GS1200 Beemer...a SuperTenare...Veestroms, KTMs,, you freaking name it.
And the RX3 can hang right there in the worst with them.
It's fast enough for hauling mail on roads not intended for mail. And the power and top speed the big bikes offer? Unusable on these backroads and trails. Literally.
And a detriment when you go down or break down compared to the RX3s simplicity.
Really kinda amazed at the damn competency of this bike.
Where's the freakin' *Like* button? Way to go, Dan.