Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3

Old 09-21-2017, 02:11 PM   #136

Color, when you put everything back together make sure your gas tank is centered laterally. This is a big deal. I use a flashlight to look under the tank and insure that the tank mount was equally distant from each end of the pad it hooks onto. If you do not have the tank centered it becomes a real chore to get all the body panels back on and lined up with their various mounting spots. The worst is those two 6mm screws that hook the radiator to the plastic side pieces. Oh, and watch out for those 6mm screws because the metal is pretty soft and all too easy to round out the hole.

Peter Y.

Old 09-21-2017, 10:07 PM   #137

Location: 484 miles east from the geographical center of the United States
Thanks. I picked up my allen wrenches today. Will finish tomorrow. I'll post the results.

Life Member VFW / Life Member NRA / WWG1-WGA

Old 09-22-2017, 02:24 PM   #138

Don't forget to locktite all the bolts except the valve cover ones. I put anti-sieze on those. I also put it on the threads for the view ports and the spark plug.

First time I did mine I called Gerry to make sure of a few things while I was doing it.

Joe

Old 09-22-2017, 03:07 PM   #139

Thanks. Just got off the phone with Gerry. I had them set too loose. I just set the first one again and the .08 feeler pinched as I pulled out on the first exhaust valve.

I may take the radiators off to get in their and have more room. I have big hands.

Old 09-22-2017, 04:21 PM   #140

Befre I seal the bike back up

Okay. I have adjusted the valves and spun the motor more than two times. My .08mm feeler pinches between the valves. My next biggest feeler is a .15mm ( I don't have a .10mm) will NOT go under the valves.

I assume that I am good and ready to button up the bike..

Also - The nuts that are on the valves; I got those as tight as I could with two different wrenches. They are tight and I assume that's good.

Thanks in advance.

Old 09-22-2017, 08:45 PM   #141

Color, if you are really a gorilla you can actually strip those lock nuts. Don't go overboard. Second item, most spark plug manufacturers say do not use anti sieze on the plugs. The logic is that you are trying to get enough tension on the threads so they do not back out. When you put new plugs in you are compressing a gasket. Whatever torque setting they list is from dry threads. You are actually better off to bring the plug snug against the gasket and then turn it a designated number of degrees (the mfg will give you this) which puts the right amount of tension on the threads. After that, if you use the same plug, you still bring it up snug and then tension a set number of degrees...I recall using 1/8 turn. Remember that a torque setting is really an indirect way of measuring how much tension is on a fastener. If you are using a slippery lube the torque setting will be much too high for the job.

Yes, I have been called anal.

Peter Y.

Old 09-22-2017, 11:00 PM   #142

Help

I finished the valve adjustment. I had a good talk with Gerry and a great with Mr. fjmartin. I put the bike back together and noticed a hose hanging down behind my center stand almost dragging the ground. Not leaking any fuel and not sure where it goes.

I don't remember that being there before. See the picture. Thanks for any help.Name:  fuel line.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  40.6 KB

Old 09-22-2017, 11:22 PM   #143

Crisis averted. I was informed that hose is an overflow hose. I just don't remember it being that long.

Old 09-26-2017, 07:01 PM   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Color of the day View Post
Crisis averted. I was informed that hose is an overflow hose. I just don't remember it being that long.
Yah , its so when we over fill the tank, the gas goes down the hose to the ground rather down our crotches. Quite handy actually rj