Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2017, 07:20 AM   #976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
True, but the Brozz also comes with a smaller diameter rear tire. If you were to match the total final drive of the Brozz to the Hawk, the Hawk would basically need a 17 tooth front sprocket. In short, the Brozz has the same final drive as a TT250 out of the box.

If you wanted to match a Hawk's final drive with 17/45 gears, you would need a 42 tooth rear sprocket.
I think my next setup will be 17 X 43 with a 120/90/17 tire this will be pretty tall I think

Old 09-23-2017, 02:41 PM   #977

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel Red Hunter View Post
I suspect that there is a reason that the Hawk (and others) are geared that way. In order to keep the fuel mixture uber lean to satisfy the EPA, they short geared it so you couldn't run a wide open throttle very long. If you did, you'd hit the rev limiter. A lean mixture is a hot mixture = engine meltdown. That is why I don't recommend changing the sprockets until jetting issues are resolved...ARH
Wouldn't the shorter gearing of the hawk in it's stock trim lend itself to higher rpms?

Old 09-23-2017, 03:39 PM   #978

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistolclass View Post
Wouldn't the shorter gearing of the hawk in it's stock trim lend itself to higher rpms?
Oh yes, definatly. That's how you take the load off of an engine, short gearing. Less load, less heat. When you gear the stock engine up, you get more load and more heat. That is why I reccomend changing the jets before changing the sprockets. In other words, if you hold the throttle wide open on a Hawk as it comes out of the crate, the rev limiter prevents over-revving a short geared bike. By switching the ignition on and off at top revs, it prevents the engine over-heating, like it would pulling a more normal gear with an all-stock bike...ARH

Old 09-28-2017, 06:07 PM   #979

PSA: if you start running super rich for some reason, check your air filter before you tinker with your carb... I gotta do something about the vent tube going directly into my airbox.

Old 09-29-2017, 12:49 AM   #980

if you look down in there where the tube comes in there is a post and a hole for a screw to screw down a cover. what cover was oem for honda????? i searched and never found one but it has to be out there. i made a diamond shaped cover with the hole for the post and a hole for the screw. not to hard to do and it causes the oil to hit the wall and come out of the air stream. some add ss dish scrubber stuff to take more oil out but im not sure you need it. i sold all i made i think. my post on it is in here some where last year.
13' long chopper in progress
2009 johnny pag bar hog
2004 hd electra glide ultra classic shriner edition
1997 harley davidson 1200 sportster
1972 harley davidson amf sx250

Old 09-29-2017, 06:55 AM   #981

As a side note, Wamey, you may want to clean your battery terminals of corrosion and then spray them with a corrosion inhibitor spray. Most parts stores sell a battery terminal spray which works decently. CRC makes a great heavy duty spray. My terminals and connectors corroded rather quickly too and was actually starting to affect my charging and ignition strength after just a couple of months. I already had to replace my main ground and positive straps because of it - which I also upgraded a gauge size.

Old 09-29-2017, 07:49 AM   #982

Good catch there Megadan on the battery terminals. That alone will cause all kind of issues. Clean and spray them. And Timcosby I had made me one of those covers when I read your post about it. Thanks.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 09-29-2017, 10:42 AM   #983

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
As a side note, Wamey, you may want to clean your battery terminals of corrosion and then spray them with a corrosion inhibitor spray. Most parts stores sell a battery terminal spray which works decently. CRC makes a great heavy duty spray. My terminals and connectors corroded rather quickly too and was actually starting to affect my charging and ignition strength after just a couple of months. I already had to replace my main ground and positive straps because of it - which I also upgraded a gauge size.
Thanks guys! I've been meaning to get around to the terminals, it's not been at the top of my priority list, but I suspect it'll make itself a higher priority soon

Old 09-29-2017, 10:46 AM   #984

Quote:
Originally Posted by timcosby View Post
if you look down in there where the tube comes in there is a post and a hole for a screw to screw down a cover. what cover was oem for honda????? i searched and never found one but it has to be out there. i made a diamond shaped cover with the hole for the post and a hole for the screw. not to hard to do and it causes the oil to hit the wall and come out of the air stream. some add ss dish scrubber stuff to take more oil out but im not sure you need it. i sold all i made i think. my post on it is in here some where last year.
timcosby, I couldn't find the thread you were talking about but I found this thread:
http://www.chinariders.net/showpost....32&postcount=1

I assume that's what you did?

Old 09-29-2017, 10:54 AM   #985

Yep, Same thing. Here is Tim's thread. http://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=18629
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 09-29-2017, 05:09 PM   #986

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamey View Post
timcosby, I couldn't find the thread you were talking about but I found this thread:
http://www.chinariders.net/showpost....32&postcount=1

I assume that's what you did?
yea but dont cut the post off its there for a reason
13' long chopper in progress
2009 johnny pag bar hog
2004 hd electra glide ultra classic shriner edition
1997 harley davidson 1200 sportster
1972 harley davidson amf sx250

Old 10-04-2017, 04:16 PM   #987

A Champagne appetite, and a beer wallet

Yeah, I used to have one of those too. I hankered after a Ferrari before common sense kicked in. A friend of mine had one, a Zagato bodied 3 liter Mille Miglea car. I got to drive it a few times. What a car. Not terribly practical, though. Likewise with motor cycles. This was the hay day of the 500cc V-8 Moto Guzzi. Yeah, I wanted one, but that bike was even more impractical than the Ferrari. A BSA Goldstar was impractical enough, even if it was a road bike. You had to learn the drill to even start that beastie! But, I eventually learned that I really liked riding dirt and gravel roads, and cow trailing more than I liked road riding. I had an old Triumph Trophy 500 that I tried to wear out on trails and dirt n' gravel roads. And easy starting. So, to the point. The bike I would buy now is a Hawk. The Hawk offers the mostest for the leastest as far as I am concerned. It has Ceriani style front forks. It has a frame that is as close to indestructable as you can get. It has a simple, easily tuned engine. It has electric starting - a modern feature that I like. It doesn't have 4 valves, no overhead camshafts, no water cooling, no fuel injection with its computer. Nothing terribly sophisticated, but it works. And it is cheap. What more can you ask....ARH

Old 10-08-2017, 12:25 PM   #988

Hawk not perfect?

No, it is not. We don't know if the rear chain is as bad as thought, or if it just needs cleaning, and better grease. Or wax. The rear swing arm bushings are bad, or need greasing. The brakes are bad, or need dot3 fluid. The front forks are bad, or need the oil changed. The spokes are bad, or just need tightening. The engine is bad, or just needs the valves adjusted. The carburetor is bad, and needs changing. The basics are there, we just need to bring out its potential....ARH

Old 10-16-2017, 01:27 PM   #989

But

The Hawk is perfectly capable as it comes out of the box. 14 horsepower will get the job done. The brakes are adequate as it comes. The forks even work ok if you are not pushing it hard. It all works, if you are not fussy. On road, off road, it will be fine as it is. But I have never been all that satisfied with things as they come out of the box. Now, I'm not about to mortgage 40 acres of prime Mississippi bottom land, not even the cotton crop that comes off of it, to make it better. No, not me. But spending a couple of dollars for ATF fluid to improve front fork action is no problem. Another couple of bucks for DOT-3 brake fluid won't break my piggybank. Taking off those so-called rubber foot peg covers costs nothing but time. Changing the motor oil to a synthetic high quality brand is a what-the-hell, I was going to do it anyway. Taking the rear chain off the bike and cleaning it real well in kerosene, then giving it the hot wax treatment? Cheaper than a new chain. Making sure the front and rear axles, and the swing arm hinge bolt are greased is only time and a little grease, and checking the spokes, front and rear, by the ping test, this is a big deal? I think we've spent about twenty bucks total and a couple of hours work to improve our motor cycle all out of proportion, all for the cost of two packs of cigarettes in NYC. What a deal!...ARH

Old 10-16-2017, 10:14 PM   #990

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel Red Hunter View Post
The Hawk is perfectly capable as it comes out of the box. 14 horsepower will get the job done. The brakes are adequate as it comes. The forks even work ok if you are not pushing it hard. It all works, if you are not fussy. On road, off road, it will be fine as it is. But I have never been all that satisfied with things as they come out of the box. Now, I'm not about to mortgage 40 acres of prime Mississippi bottom land, not even the cotton crop that comes off of it, to make it better. No, not me. But spending a couple of dollars for ATF fluid to improve front fork action is no problem. Another couple of bucks for DOT-3 brake fluid won't break my piggybank. Taking off those so-called rubber foot peg covers costs nothing but time. Changing the motor oil to a synthetic high quality brand is a what-the-hell, I was going to do it anyway. Taking the rear chain off the bike and cleaning it real well in kerosene, then giving it the hot wax treatment? Cheaper than a new chain. Making sure the front and rear axles, and the swing arm hinge bolt are greased is only time and a little grease, and checking the spokes, front and rear, by the ping test, this is a big deal? I think we've spent about twenty bucks total and a couple of hours work to improve our motor cycle all out of proportion, all for the cost of two packs of cigarettes in NYC. What a deal!...ARH
That about sums it up folks...close the thread
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~