Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3

Old 08-28-2017, 04:02 PM   #1

Noise Reduction

When you crank up an RX3 it's not very noisy. Even rev it up to, say, 5K and it's not all that loud. On the highway I have discovered that the noise level gets pretty loud under certain conditions. Specifically, when the throttle is open about 90% or more at highway speed. If the throttle is partially closed while on a slight downhill slope or even just maintaining 60 mph the noise level drops quite a bit. I'm thinking that the culprit is not exhaust noise but rather intake noise. Anyone else giving this some thought? Any ideas on how to mitigate the noise if it is intake related. I thought about coating the inside of the air box with some kind of rubber. I'm open to any suggestions because I am already wearing ear plugs and the noise is starting to concern me due to my known hearing loss.

Peter Y.

Old 09-02-2017, 02:22 PM   #2

Sucking decibels.

Your conclusion of noise generation is correct.
I've played around with exhaust silencing also and concluded the same as you.

Lining the inside of the plenum isn't likely to do much to mitigate the intake pulse noise, it's more a need of sonic wave diversion or baffles inside the plenum.

It may be a result of plenum size/shape making it louder than it needs to be. I wonder if the RC3 uses the same box and does it make the same sounds. That would require the evaluation on someone who has access to both models. cough cough Gatling cough

I also wonder if the body & windshield bits amplify the noise. Anyway, since the air filter chamber isn't something that easily pops out, I haven't bothered to pursue the issue. Now if someone decides to replace the stock system with a pod filter on the end of 4 feet of radiator hose, perhaps they can report back.

Old 09-07-2017, 10:14 AM   #3

I did the pod (minus 4' radiator hose) and it didn't make much difference regarding noise. I also discovered that it didn't make much, if any difference regarding power. I went back to the stock filter box, like rtking.
I did however, cure the intake noise problem by installing a slightly louder muffler! ;-)

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 09-24-2017, 09:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoungbl View Post
When you crank up an RX3 it's not very noisy. Even rev it up to, say, 5K and it's not all that loud. On the highway I have discovered that the noise level gets pretty loud under certain conditions. Specifically, when the throttle is open about 90% or more at highway speed. If the throttle is partially closed while on a slight downhill slope or even just maintaining 60 mph the noise level drops quite a bit. I'm thinking that the culprit is not exhaust noise but rather intake noise. Anyone else giving this some thought? Any ideas on how to mitigate the noise if it is intake related. I thought about coating the inside of the air box with some kind of rubber. I'm open to any suggestions because I am already wearing ear plugs and the noise is starting to concern me due to my known hearing loss.

Peter Y.
I have this same complaint as Peter; in fact, I find that the noise level at WOT is starting to annoy me. I wonder if the airbox walls are flexing, and maybe even getting into a harmonic pattern? I am thinking of pop-riveting some stiffeners on the outside or inside of the box. Another idea - I think I have some adhesive backed sound-deadening material. Worth a try!

Old 09-26-2017, 06:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHawk47 View Post
I have this same complaint as Peter; in fact, I find that the noise level at WOT is starting to annoy me. I wonder if the airbox walls are flexing, and maybe even getting into a harmonic pattern? I am thinking of pop-riveting some stiffeners on the outside or inside of the box. Another idea - I think I have some adhesive backed sound-deadening material. Worth a try!
Red hawk, let us know what helps. When I did the Iron Butt on my RX3 the droning was quite noticeable. I do believe it is air box resonance, rj

Old 09-26-2017, 08:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmorel View Post
Red hawk, let us know what helps. When I did the Iron Butt on my RX3 the droning was quite noticeable. I do believe it is air box resonance, rj
Yes, especially odd since the box inlets are under the seat.
Maybe we need Cooper & Wolowitz to team up and look for a solution.

Old 09-26-2017, 10:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay In Milpitas View Post
Yes, especially odd since the box inlets are under the seat.
Maybe we need Cooper & Wolowitz to team up and look for a solution.
You saw what Wolowitz did with the Mars Rover....I'd look to Raj

Old 09-26-2017, 11:07 PM   #8

Ear plugs and/or build a larger chambered/baffled air box with a flat small engine style airfilter

Old 09-27-2017, 07:17 AM   #9

How about noise cancelling headphones? Personally, for long rides, I use ear plugs. It'll help save your hearing from the wind noise as well. Oh, and I get them for free too.

Old 09-28-2017, 02:20 PM   #10

Thanks for all the great ideas. You'll note that I already wear ear plugs. Noise canceling headphones might be OK if I were flying an airplane but I suspect they won't fit very well under my full face helmet. For now I'm stuck with the best plugs I can buy, with a 31DB reduction. Doing some mods to the airbox might be my winter project. I'm wary of doing much in that area because the engineers tend to have a reason for the airbox size and design, something to do with resonance and engine performance.

Peter Y.

Old 09-28-2017, 02:30 PM   #11

You could try a down facing snorkel on the airbox. That may redirect the sound down and away from you, but it may suck up water if you ride through deep water.

Old 06-09-2021, 09:03 PM   #12

Any luck with this? I'm finding the intake roar under high-load (uphill, fully loaded, my fatass on the bike) is really loud, even with really good earplugs.

Charles.

Old 06-09-2021, 09:59 PM   #13

The RX4 has the same symptom under heavy load when im using my full helmet.. I've found though that with my half helmet mated with ear buds there is no drone and is much more comfortable overall, not ideal I know, but works for longer rides

Former China Bikes: Tao DBX1, Brozz 250, CSC RX4, Titan DLX, Templar X

Old 06-09-2021, 11:54 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperCharles View Post
Any luck with this? I'm finding the intake roar under high-load (uphill, fully loaded, my fatass on the bike) is really loud, even with really good earplugs.

Charles.
This might help:

http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=28511

Old 06-10-2021, 03:37 PM   #15

It really doesn't. I can't tell what he's actually done there.

Charles.