Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2016, 05:57 PM   #1

In the market

Hey Guys!!
I am currently in the market for a Dual Sport / Enduro (Street Legal) Bike. I live on a dirt road and there is MILES and MILES of dirt roads that connect to mine. So a hard tail BarHog just isn't cutting it. Plus I can't ride my kids when they say "daddy please take me for a ride". SO here I am, the bar hog is going and I want to order a bike. Mainly because I've always wanted to have a bike shipped in a crate to my front door! Call me crazy, but I think that would be SUPER cool and exciting. Why don't the Japanese offer that as an option? Anyway what is the consensus here on a reliable Enduro that is currently available. I've read some posts about how folks love THE ZONG! What all bikes / brands do they make? Who is a good retailer to order from? And I've been reading about the Hawk, is that just the most available model now and thats why there is alot of talk on that one? Thanks guys for any input. And for the time being I'll keep reading.

Old 11-02-2016, 06:31 PM   #2

I have a Hawk 250 and very happy with it.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 11-02-2016, 06:36 PM   #3

Bashan Brozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsride View Post
Hey Guys!!
I am currently in the market for a Dual Sport / Enduro (Street Legal) Bike. I live on a dirt road and there is MILES and MILES of dirt roads that connect to mine. So a hard tail BarHog just isn't cutting it. Plus I can't ride my kids when they say "daddy please take me for a ride". SO here I am, the bar hog is going and I want to order a bike. Mainly because I've always wanted to have a bike shipped in a crate to my front door! Call me crazy, but I think that would be SUPER cool and exciting. Why don't the Japanese offer that as an option? Anyway what is the consensus here on a reliable Enduro that is currently available. I've read some posts about how folks love THE ZONG! What all bikes / brands do they make? Who is a good retailer to order from? And I've been reading about the Hawk, is that just the most available model now and thats why there is alot of talk on that one? Thanks guys for any input. And for the time being I'll keep reading.
I would go for the Bashan Brozz. DOT and EPA approved so youll have no problem getting it regged. The Hawk is not DOT approved. Do a search here and you should find all you need to know.

Old 11-02-2016, 07:09 PM   #4

Great Q' that is kind of hard to answer...

But we will all try I'm sure

I'm saving up for another China Bike, and I'm probably going to stick with the inexpensive "Bashan" Storm 250, has inverted front forks, front and rear disk brakes, and only costs $1,400 or so shipped to your door, comes with the 49 State DOT/EPA "sticker of approval" too... what else could one ask for that price?

The Bashan Brozz is another decent choice, but has a rear drum brake

Our current China Bike, a Bashan WILL 200, has (overall) been a great bike... and if we would have got the bike as described by the seller ("a brand new, 0 km still in the crate bike"... we received a turd of a floor model with over 4 km on it...) it would have been a great bike/purchase without the "overall" stipulation... thus the reason I'm saving up for another "Bashan" motorcycle before spending the extra cash on a CSC bike that comes with a warranty

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 11-02-2016, 09:26 PM   #5

Lots of options out there.

I'm partial to the CSC TT250 (zong). Have been extremely pleased with the bike.

The current deal at $2,195 including assembly, delivery, docs, and crating is a pretty good deal. Warrantied for a year. CSC has first class support and customer service, not to mention their readily available parts inventory. Comes mostly assembled. Have to put the levers and mirrors on. Give the bike a good once over checking for any obvious loose nuts and bolts, check the tire pressure, put in some gas and go. Worth the extra $ to me and still feel like I got good value.

http://www.cscmotorcycles.com/CSC-TT-250-p/ztt250.htm

CSC also does their now infamous Baja rides for the RX-3 and TT250
http://californiascooterco.com/blog/?p=23588

Rojo

Old 11-02-2016, 11:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojo_grande View Post
Lots of options out there.

I'm partial to the CSC TT250 (zong). Have been extremely pleased with the bike.

The current deal at $2,195 including assembly, delivery, docs, and crating is a pretty good deal. Warrantied for a year. CSC has first class support and customer service, not to mention their readily available parts inventory. Comes mostly assembled. Have to put the levers and mirrors on. Give the bike a good once over checking for any obvious loose nuts and bolts, check the tire pressure, put in some gas and go. Worth the extra $ to me and still feel like I got good value.

http://www.cscmotorcycles.com/CSC-TT-250-p/ztt250.htm

CSC also does their now infamous Baja rides for the RX-3 and TT250
http://californiascooterco.com/blog/?p=23588

Rojo
Agree...If you can swing the cash, great deal now but limited time (sound like a car salesman)

If I knew then what I know now.....
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 11-03-2016, 12:09 AM   #7

The Bashan bikes (Storm 250, Brozz 250, Shark 250) are solid bikes and 49 state EPA/DOT legal. Mid-$1000 depending on dealer.

If you like modifying/tinkering (all Chinese bikes need it at some point, but one in particular) the Ricky Power Sports (RPS) Hawk is your bike. Member Motocheez here has several videos on youtube regarding his ownership of the Hawk. He also recently got a RPS Magician, but that bike is more street oriented. It does use the exact same engine as the Hawk. Disclaimer--the RPS bikes are certified as 'off-road' by the EPA, so unless you live in a state that street registers bikes based on street equipment (both have all turn signals, headlight with high and low beam, taillight/brake lights, license plate lights, license plate holder, etc), you might run into problems registering one for your state. Ironically, some counties within states will plate them, while others do not. Some states are absolutely no go because they check the list of EPA/DOT certified bikes (i.e New Jersey). There might have been issues with S. Carolina mentioned regarding the Hawks, but don't quote me. Keep in mind that some states used to be no problemo, and then later on became problem states.

California Scooter Company (CSC) has the TT250 which is street legal in all 50 states. It is shipped completely ready to ride, but as mentioned, is the highest priced of the bunch.

One not mentioned as of late is the Dong Fang DF 250 RTE. Dong Fang has a cult status due to their bobber, but they have a sport bike, a crotch-rocket (in style because we all know not in speed ), a standard, and an enduro which all utilize the exact same 229.2 cc engine. They are 49 state EPA/DOT certified, and based on the Dong Fang bobber thread on Mychinamoto, seem to be fairly decent engines.

http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...er-Information

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 11-03-2016, 08:32 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
The Bashan bikes (Storm 250, Brozz 250, Shark 250) are solid bikes and 49 state EPA/DOT legal. Mid-$1000 depending on dealer.

If you like modifying/tinkering (all Chinese bikes need it at some point, but one in particular) the Ricky Power Sports (RPS) Hawk is your bike. Member Motocheez here has several videos on youtube regarding his ownership of the Hawk. He also recently got a RPS Magician, but that bike is more street oriented. It does use the exact same engine as the Hawk. Disclaimer--the RPS bikes are certified as 'off-road' by the EPA, so unless you live in a state that street registers bikes based on street equipment (both have all turn signals, headlight with high and low beam, taillight/brake lights, license plate lights, license plate holder, etc), you might run into problems registering one for your state. Ironically, some counties within states will plate them, while others do not. Some states are absolutely no go because they check the list of EPA/DOT certified bikes (i.e New Jersey). There might have been issues with S. Carolina mentioned regarding the Hawks, but don't quote me. Keep in mind that some states used to be no problemo, and then later on became problem states.

California Scooter Company (CSC) has the TT250 which is street legal in all 50 states. It is shipped completely ready to ride, but as mentioned, is the highest priced of the bunch.

One not mentioned as of late is the Dong Fang DF 250 RTE. Dong Fang has a cult status due to their bobber, but they have a sport bike, a crotch-rocket (in style because we all know not in speed ), a standard, and an enduro which all utilize the exact same 229.2 cc engine. They are 49 state EPA/DOT certified, and based on the Dong Fang bobber thread on Mychinamoto, seem to be fairly decent engines.

http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...er-Information
SC seems to have no problems registering the hawk. GA and AL are the odd ones that seem to be county by county for some reason. If you decide on the hawk or any Chinese bike besides the CSC TT250, I would go by and talk to someone at your local tag office to be certain.

Old 11-03-2016, 10:18 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorcyclelove View Post
SC seems to have no problems registering the hawk. GA and AL are the odd ones that seem to be county by county for some reason. If you decide on the hawk or any Chinese bike besides the CSC TT250, I would go by and talk to someone at your local tag office to be certain.
What I've read on this forum is if the MCO reads motorcycle, the path to registration is much easier. Except California, of course.

Old 11-03-2016, 11:52 AM   #10

Awesome information, thank you all! I'm leaning towards the Hawk or Bashan Honestly. But I'll check out the FANG too. I want to put the thing together myself. I don't even let shops do maintenance on my vehicles (save for warranty work by a dealer and such). I want to go over the thing front to back. I did this with a Marchin Quad I bought years ago ( even though it was mostly assembled) and that little 150 held up great and had its fair share of teenagers beating the snot out of it. Nothing against the services CSC is offering, that is GREAT to know they do that sort of thing for customers. I'll stop by my local small town DMV and ask about registration. Now, are all the new Bashan's coming with inverted forks? One video on the tube showed a 2016 model with them. And, the reason I asked about the availability of the brands (Hawk) was back when I bought the Quads, it seems the China bikes and quads were around EVERY corner. I'm kinda glad it isn't that way any longer, things have widdled down to a few retailers and models, helps keep track of what and WHO are any good. Thanks again guys, Shawn

Old 11-03-2016, 01:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsride View Post
Awesome information, thank you all! I'm leaning towards the Hawk or Bashan Honestly. But I'll check out the FANG too. I want to put the thing together myself. I don't even let shops do maintenance on my vehicles (save for warranty work by a dealer and such). I want to go over the thing front to back. I did this with a Marchin Quad I bought years ago ( even though it was mostly assembled) and that little 150 held up great and had its fair share of teenagers beating the snot out of it. Nothing against the services CSC is offering, that is GREAT to know they do that sort of thing for customers. I'll stop by my local small town DMV and ask about registration. Now, are all the new Bashan's coming with inverted forks? One video on the tube showed a 2016 model with them. And, the reason I asked about the availability of the brands (Hawk) was back when I bought the Quads, it seems the China bikes and quads were around EVERY corner. I'm kinda glad it isn't that way any longer, things have widdled down to a few retailers and models, helps keep track of what and WHO are any good. Thanks again guys, Shawn
Check with Don with APSCUSA.com they have good prices and great service after the sale.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 11-03-2016, 01:50 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 View Post
I have a Hawk 250 and very happy with it.

Old 11-03-2016, 01:54 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
The Hawk is not DOT approved.
Confirmed, can't say this enough, as some dealers appear to be misleading customers. The Hawk is NOT approved by the DOT for on road use. It was designed for off road use, and it has off road tires. In some states, in some regions, in some counties, the local state bureaucracy will approve it for onroad use. Other states will not. The key thing to ask your local DMV is whether they allow you to convert dirtbikes for onroad use, by adding lights, mirrors, etc. If they do, then you can get the bike on road. If they do not, then you can't.

Old 11-03-2016, 02:11 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Rinkleff View Post
Confirmed, can't say this enough, as some dealers appear to be misleading customers. The Hawk is NOT approved by the DOT for on road use. It was designed for off road use, and it has off road tires. In some states, in some regions, in some counties, the local state bureaucracy will approve it for onroad use. Other states will not. The key thing to ask your local DMV is whether they allow you to convert dirtbikes for onroad use, by adding lights, mirrors, etc. If they do, then you can get the bike on road. If they do not, then you can't.
I had no issues getting registered and tagged in Louisiana. As mention before the MCO must read motorcycle. APSCUSA had everything to me in 3 days. MCO, Notarized Bill of sale and Odometer statement. 15 minutes in and out of DMV.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 11-03-2016, 05:42 PM   #15

OP, keep us posted on what you get and don't forget pics! We love build pics.