Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2016, 09:34 PM   #1

RPS and RPS Tornado 250

Hey guys, started down the path this Christmas of checking out the Chinese bikes. Buddy of mine has an older Chinese quad that just wont die. I am a marine mechanic and not scared to turn a wrench so i opted for the Coolster 3125 XR8-Ultimate in pink camo for my 7 year old daughter. About what I expected, care in assembly and some small tweaks and vibration remediation has given us what seems to be a great little quad. She is incapable of abusing it so I expect a few years and at $800 shipped one heckuva an ROI on it.

So, of course next thing I know I am making calls round south Florida looking to rehash the good ol days on my Honda trx250r by buying a 450r. But I'm just too frugal anymore to drop $8k on myself.

Started out looking at the Rhino 250 (since taotao seems to make a decent product) and stumbled onto the RPS Tornado 250. I like the disc brakes up front over the drums on the Rhino and the styling is better to me.

ANYbody know ANYthing to speak of about that quad and/or RPS besides the good customer interaction I found about them searching the threads?

Steve

Old 12-29-2016, 09:39 PM   #2

familygokarts.com

in the spirit of sharing i will say that upon a recommend I bought from familygokarts. seamless experience and all promises delivered. would buy from them again. the guy who answers the phone during hours who i suppose deals with internet sales sounds really sketchy and greasy on the phone but, again, all expectations delivered upon. FYI.

Old 12-30-2016, 12:02 AM   #3

Someone bought a RPS 150 quad, but that has been the extent of anyone posting about buying a RPS that I can remember, other than the Hawk enduro.

Adam Renkleff is a member, and responds to posts, and is a straight shooter as far as customer service goes, but that is probably what you mentioned about good customer interaction. That is unique, besides Joe Berk of CSC, but CSC do not have a quad available.

The Tornado is one of the few Chinese sport quads in the 230cc range available in the US as far as I can tell. Obviously it is not a Honda or Suzuki or etc., but it should get the job done, which I imagine is you riding with you daughter, as well as you riding more aggressively somewhere your daughter would not be capable of going. I doubt you will lose your $ purchasing one, just as the vase amount of members who have purchased the Hawks have not regretted their purchases.

I would reconsider not looking at the Rhino if I were you. Have seen some very good posts about those, as well as upgrades, especially from member 2LZ. Not as sporty-looking, but seems like it will get you through as much terrain as the Tornado (and as much terrain as a Chinese quad in this class will get through). The racks are a good selling point for me, but yes, I am drawn to the 'sporting' aspect of the Tornado, too. There are some good deals on the Rhino, and I am guessing you will get one of those for less cost than the Tornado. Decisions, decisions, but the Rhino has 'experience' among members, and Coolster does not offer a 200cc or larger quad, while the Tornado is probably a decent quad, but no one has reported owning one.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 12-30-2016, 10:16 AM   #4

As always, culcune has nailed it.

I love my Rhino, especially after the tweaks and upgrades (can't wait to do the low gearing this weekend).....but I didn't buy it for fun. I bought it as a work mule around the property to haul carts, garden tools and other items. The racks were a must for our needs and you just can't beat the utilitarian aspect of it, especially for the $$$. Of course, the 167FMM (CG) motor it comes with is bullet proof.

If the RPS quad has the same CG-style motor, it's all good.

If I was just out for fun, I'd have probably gotten a sportier quad.....but on the other hand, I have a neighbor who has an older sport quad (Honda) and he wants me to weld a rack on it. Go figure.....

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 12-30-2016, 10:57 AM   #5

Yesterday they had me write a blurb about the Tornado:

The Tornado is produced by Hensim-Haosen, one of the leading manufacturers in China, with a superior engine, frame, and shocks. This is the only fullbody 250 sport ATV in the Chinese market. For the past decade, nobody else has had this design. It is ideal for adults, as alternatives are often too small. Furthermore, the engine boasts 230cc, whereas competitors often have a mere 200cc. Instead of a 4-speed transmission, the Tornado has 5-speeds, along with wider tires, a lower center of gravity, and hydraulic brakes.

-------------

I can tell you that older versions had issues with vibration, but the new ones are much better. Obviously, I'm a biased source, but I think if you want an adult sport ATV from China... this is probably what you are looking for. The larger engine supports a larger more durable frame, and it looks good too. The TaoTao 250 is really a 200, with a body approximately the size of our 150 Blizzard, whereas the Tornado has a '300cc body'.

Old 12-30-2016, 11:04 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
Someone bought a RPS 150 quad, but that has been the extent of anyone posting about buying a RPS that I can remember, other than the Hawk enduro.

Adam Renkleff is a member, and responds to posts, and is a straight shooter as far as customer service goes, but that is probably what you mentioned about good customer interaction. That is unique, besides Joe Berk of CSC, but CSC do not have a quad available.

The Tornado is one of the few Chinese sport quads in the 230cc range available in the US as far as I can tell. Obviously it is not a Honda or Suzuki or etc., but it should get the job done, which I imagine is you riding with you daughter, as well as you riding more aggressively somewhere your daughter would not be capable of going. I doubt you will lose your $ purchasing one, just as the vase amount of members who have purchased the Hawks have not regretted their purchases.

I would reconsider not looking at the Rhino if I were you. Have seen some very good posts about those, as well as upgrades, especially from member 2LZ. Not as sporty-looking, but seems like it will get you through as much terrain as the Tornado (and as much terrain as a Chinese quad in this class will get through). The racks are a good selling point for me, but yes, I am drawn to the 'sporting' aspect of the Tornado, too. There are some good deals on the Rhino, and I am guessing you will get one of those for less cost than the Tornado. Decisions, decisions, but the Rhino has 'experience' among members, and Coolster does not offer a 200cc or larger quad, while the Tornado is probably a decent quad, but no one has reported owning one.

http://www.powersportsmax.com/produc...ducts_id/18023

Seems like a pretty good deal here. That's about $150 less than I paid for my son's little China quad about 11 years ago!

Old 12-30-2016, 11:33 AM   #7

I know there's been much to-do about what motor on the Rhino.

The websites (as absolutely accurate as they are) say a 200cc.
The frame tag says a 150cc.
The CG motor itself is stamped a 167FMM. That tells me it's the 230 (229?) motor. 67 bore, M=250 class. If it was a 200cc, it would be a 163FML.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 01-01-2017, 07:46 PM   #8

thanks for the feedback guys, think i made a smart move i today ordered the 3150DX-2 Coolster again from fgk.com after lots of research and to bring the wife in on the deal she has been having a lot of fun running around on my daughter's quad, she even picked the color - green camo or army green hope its a winner. this will be a little 150 that i can ride as well until we figure if my daughter is going to keep riding. If so im settled on the rhino or the RPS 250 will have to see. Tonite im going to search threads for mods on my daughter's 125 taotao (Coolster 125 Ultimate). Holy shit the shocks/springs are just awful...way too stiff...anyone have quick knowledge on suitable upgrade??? Lol

Adam Rinkleff - if you see this post, what are my odds of seeing the 250 here in SW Florida anywhere? Any dealers?

Old 01-01-2017, 10:09 PM   #9

I found a Rhino near me in MD at a dealer... was $800 more then online prices and he wouldn't budge any on it. Was good to see them in person.

Old 01-01-2017, 10:54 PM   #10

A local Kubota Husqvarna dealer here started selling Coolsters just before Christmas. I'm not sure if they plan on selling them all the time. For $300 more than they wanted for a 125 I got 2 150's.
Maybe look at your local outdoor power equipment (lawmmower) shops?

Old 01-01-2017, 10:59 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo1972 View Post
thanks for the feedback guys, think i made a smart move i today ordered the 3150DX-2 Coolster again from fgk.com after lots of research and to bring the wife in on the deal she has been having a lot of fun running around on my daughter's quad, she even picked the color - green camo or army green hope its a winner. this will be a little 150 that i can ride as well until we figure if my daughter is going to keep riding. If so im settled on the rhino or the RPS 250 will have to see. Tonite im going to search threads for mods on my daughter's 125 taotao (Coolster 125 Ultimate). Holy shit the shocks/springs are just awful...way too stiff...anyone have quick knowledge on suitable upgrade??? Lol

Adam Rinkleff - if you see this post, what are my odds of seeing the 250 here in SW Florida anywhere? Any dealers?
Where I come from fgk means fat ginger kid lol

Old 01-02-2017, 05:37 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbrseven View Post
A local Kubota Husqvarna dealer here started selling Coolsters just before Christmas. I'm not sure if they plan on selling them all the time. For $300 more than they wanted for a 125 I got 2 150's.
Maybe look at your local outdoor power equipment (lawmmower) shops?
surely you mean $300 more than the 125 - X2, yes? no way you got 2 bikes for $1000???

familygokarts Lol

Old 01-02-2017, 06:18 PM   #13

No, I meant what I typed. But their price wasn't $1,000 either.

Old 01-03-2017, 08:35 AM   #14

I came very close to buying the Tornado and preferred it over the Rhino. But talked myself into a Hawk. (very interesting conversation LOL) I actually had the Tornado and the Hawk in my basket to check out and made the decision at the last minute. I figured I would have more use with the hawk and knew I would be riding it more often. Personally I would go with the Tornado.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 01-03-2017, 08:54 AM   #15

[QUOTE=Adam Rinkleff;239277] Instead of a 4-speed transmission, the Tornado has 5-speeds, along with wider tires, a lower center of gravity, and hydraulic brakes. QUOTE]

Adam, Does the newer 5 speed have reverse?
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Last edited by JerryHawk250; 01-03-2017 at 10:38 AM.