Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2018, 01:27 PM   #16

electric winch

my biggest thought would be the drain on the battery and charging overload using the electric winch for the plow???? I would think a manual lift would eb a better thing instead of t he electric winch... and as mention.. shorting the cable up for bird nesting... and I guess just lift it up and down 1-3 inches.. max for less draw on the power.. maybe a spare battery on the back would help and add traction to the wheels... the cheap winches are good that cheap price..

Old 11-17-2018, 01:40 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruces View Post
My old eyes don’t show me if that is how yours is hooked up ,but a lot of the atv Plow s mount from the rear hitch ,and have two long tubes under the atv with the Plow attached on the front .That should help with the weight .
Have you checked your attack angle ?should be around 70degrees on a level surface on the ground .
Hi Bruce, The mounting plate is welded onto the bottom of the lower frame about the center of the machine. The tubes of the plow told me how far back I had to mount the plate with leaving enough room to angle the plow all the way. Yes, I plowed at 70 degrees for the long pushes & straight for the "clean up" short pushes.

Old 11-17-2018, 01:48 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLASHLIGHTBOY View Post
my biggest thought would be the drain on the battery and charging overload using the electric winch for the plow???? I would think a manual lift would eb a better thing instead of t he electric winch... and as mention.. shorting the cable up for bird nesting... and I guess just lift it up and down 1-3 inches.. max for less draw on the power.. maybe a spare battery on the back would help and add traction to the wheels... the cheap winches are good that cheap price..
I only raised & lowered the plow a couple inches (and only while the engine was running) & most of it was long pushes. As far as I can tell the battery & charging system is holding up. Yes, I put a large marine battery on the back tray for traction weight. I didn't think of it then, but I guess I could've ran jumper type cables from the marine battery to the atv battery for back up.

Old 11-17-2018, 02:02 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Racer View Post
I paused the video and viewed frame by frame.... I see how to mount it up now... Cool .. thanks George.

The flasher lights are a nice touch.
Those flashers not only look good, but I need them for nighttime plowing out on the road to clear the driveway apron that the town loves to plow closed & the rural mailbox along the road has to be plowed out too otherwise they won't deliver the mail. My road is a big hill with a slight curve, and when snow or ice covered it can be treacherous. Someone took out my mailbox last winter. So being out there in the dark I want to be seen.

Old 12-24-2018, 05:38 AM   #20

Getting a Rhino 250

I wanted to get a plow set up for it but was really thinking on a bucket loader like the one from swisher. Would a swisher universal mounting kit go on a Rhino? Or even a warn with a front mount and a bucket conversation kit?

Old 01-17-2019, 06:41 PM   #21

DarkRhino, I wouldn't know if either would "easily" mount on, but thru the magic of welding, anything is possible You would have to either change the shocks or add springs to compensate for the extra weight though. You see in my video where the front of my Rhino dips when I lift just the weight of the plow, being that the suspension is stock. The dip isn't extreme, but a bucket would weigh more than a plow I would assume, then the cargo in the bucket too.

I would like one (a bucket) too, I move a lot of mulch in the spring, some 20+ cubic yards of mulch, and I would move more if I didn't have to shovel/rake so much of it by hand.

I just found a used one for sale 2-1/2 hours away from me with the mount system for $300. I just emailed them to see if it is available.

Last edited by George_NJ; 01-17-2019 at 07:26 PM.

Old 01-20-2019, 07:57 AM   #22

Another plowing update;

What another miserable storm! I got up at 5 am hoping to get a jump on the 6 inches of snow before the change over to rain came to make it into a too heavy mess to move or push. I was too late by that point, it had been raining on the snow for some time I guess because it was heavy wet snow. I had a hard time even getting the Rhino out of the garage, I couldn't do it with the plow down, I had to raise it. Then I had a hard time trying to get it started for its first bite into the heavy wet mess. Thoughts of failure immediately swirled through my head, I can't even get started here for cripes sake??? It took a lot of my hard-headed stubbornness to keep at it before I finally made some progress with even getting started plowing. Once I got it going it was still very hard charging, it was such a workout for the Rhino, and my sanity too. This is the absolute worst kind of snow situation to have, the average homeowner snowblower would be stymied by this heavy wet crap, I know my blower couldn't have handled it.

At one point I was flying doing a cleanup swipe and I hit a piece of my Belgium block curb and it grabbed the edge of the plow and whipped both me and the Rhino around in a spin. It sure took me by surprise, I got off the Rhino to inspect the plow expecting to see it mangled or the mounting plate broken off the frame... But it all held together brilliantly, like it never even happened

That said, I still managed to get not only my big driveway done, but also my 80-year-old neighbors driveway both in under an hour and a half.

Old 01-20-2019, 08:55 AM   #23

Like the little engine that could. Rhino tough !
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 01-20-2019, 11:49 AM   #24

good to hear it is working out for you. Can I ask what upgrades you have done for plowing? i.e. chains, new carb, sprocket, etc?

Old 01-20-2019, 12:10 PM   #25

it is huge difference putting the Mikuni vm26 on worth every penny. It starts on like the 2nd or 3rd spin of the starter. I ordered the wrong pilot jet so I have to run the stock 40 for now but have a 30 on the way and put a 110 in for main. I see you have the v bar chains also a big help.

Old 01-20-2019, 01:23 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by PANDEMIC View Post
good to hear it is working out for you. Can I ask what upgrades you have done for plowing? i.e. chains, new carb, sprocket, etc?
The only thing I did was to change out the 13 tooth front sprocket for the 11, that made a huge difference. I might change out the rear in the spring/summer for even more torque. I haven't touched the carb or anything else motor wise. Definitely, You need tire chains to plow with only the two wheel drive.

One other upgrade I just ordered was heated grips off ebay for like $17. I hate wearing gloves and my hands got cold, so I'm gonna give them a try.

Heated Grips; [url]https://www.ebay.com/itm/192774743969[/url

Old 01-22-2019, 10:13 AM   #27

Well, I just picked up a Cabela's 50" Plow Kit for $168.72 shipped to my door.
https://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabe...8.uts?slotId=1
It is a discontinued plow kit only 300 left at the distribution center in Nebraska so now is the time my friends. For some reason, if you sign into your Cabela's account it will remove the $30 shipping surcharge.

Last edited by PANDEMIC; 02-01-2019 at 09:34 AM.

Old 01-22-2019, 06:52 PM   #28

Thanks for the heads up on this plow. Please let me know if it looks like it will fit when you get it.

If it does I'm in!!!!

Old 01-23-2019, 01:15 AM   #29

Nice find, PANDEMIC. Darth, you can download the mounting instructions at the link PANDEMIC provided.
2016 Tao Tao 125D

Old 01-23-2019, 09:27 AM   #30

I was told it is the same mounting bracket as this new kit