Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Media/Reviews/Classifieds/Sponsors > Reviews
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-11-2023, 01:41 PM   #1

Hawk DLX 250 EFI from Texas Motorsports

I am just going to post a summary of my experience so far with this purchase, assembly, and the first rides. So here goes….

Ordered the bike initially on Amazon, but then canceled the order 5 hours later after reading some negative reviews about the seller involving poor communication and buyer frustration.. I went to Texas Motor sports site and ended up getting a small military discount and free shipping. Total to my house was $ 2013. If I remember the amazon order was closer to $2600. rAfter 11 days it arrived. The driver called me at work, my wife was home, he put it right in the garage. The crate had some fairly substantial looking damage, my wife took some pics of it, and I anxiously looked at the clock until I could clock out and get home. The MSO and Bill of Sale arrived the same day, via FEd Ex.

I assembled it in just a few hours, drained and changed the oil (Rotella T4) started it, and rode it a few miles before retiring for the evening. Having never purchased a vehicle online before, I was very happy that it arrived, it was intact, and it started. The next morning I finished putting all the plastics on, greasing the front and rear axles, adjusting the chain, and adding some loctite blue here and there. One of the threaded nuts for the exhaust guard was not threaded, so I ran a tap and threaded it. I also added 12 oz of slime both front and rear tubes, wrapped the wires behind the headlight in some plastic for some weatherproofing, and dropped the air pressure to about 24 psi for trail riding. I then went to DMV and got it instantly registered. Still waiting to hear from my insurance company. So far so good.

I did find that the right side gas tank cowling had a broken mount tab, and I did not find it until mounting the left one. I have filed a claim for a replacement and am awaiting more info. Despite the damage to the crate, the bike came away relatively unscathed. A few dings here and there, but I was truly impressed with its cosmetic survival. I just don't understand why so many are so beat up, it sure does not seem like other large items shipped around the world are treated so poorly.

Today I took it out in the desert across the street from my house. I have been riding these trails for over 15 years, and have ridden all sorts of bikes there. And this, is one of them. It is not a motocross bike, a single track monster, or a desert racer. It is, however, a decent trail rider. And short distance commuter. It did not like the deep sand I took it in, the front end washed out pretty good. I think down the road some new tires may help with that. I hit one small jump, and the front end bottomed out. Maybe some heaver fork oil will help with that, I have yet to even look into that. So far I really like the bike. I like the efi, the gauges, the height and ride position( I am 6’ 2” 200 lbs, 60 years old). It does not vibrate too much, and has a very gentle, smooth power delivery. No great holeshots or rear tire only wheelies. It is not oozing power…..

After reading and watching reviews online, I was concerned about a few things. The weak headlight, rear inner mud flap, location of the ECU for water, air box fit, and tire quality. I was glad to see these issues all seem to have been corrected. I now have 25 miles on it, and later tonight I will ride in the dez again, adjust the headlight, and then change the oil. Updates will surely follow.Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20231010_112321.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	1.83 MB
ID:	30170