Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Registration Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-26-2008, 03:43 PM   #1

PA won't register or title ANY VIN starting with "L&quo

Pennsylvania has denied me twice on registering and titling my '09 American Lifan. A new rule took effect in September, which says. Any VIN starting with "L" goes to a special unit now, where they are denied and returned to the owners. The letter claims ther MCO is incorrect. I spoke to American Lifan, and they disagree with PennDot, telling me EVERY digit of the VIN and MCO are correct. Digit by digit, they went over it, and it's correct, they say.
My bike ( '09 American Lifan 200GY-5) was purchased legitimately from American Lifan in Texas, through Motoxtreme. Of course, Motoxtreme closes down the week after I received the bike.
So now, I have PennDot telling to get a corrected MCO, and American Lifan is insisting the MCO is correct, and that it's PennDot mistake, not their's.

Here's the reply from PennDot -

This latest refusal letter says:

" Title applications for two and three-wheeled motorcycles with a VIN that begins with letter "L" came into question because of discrepancies discovered between the Manufacturers Certificate of Origin (MCO) and the "Manufacturers" data base maintained by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)

"The data base maintained by NHTSA lists information, required by federal regulations, on each manufacturer including their "World Manufacturers Identification Number (WMI) which are the first three characters of their VIN and a decoding of their required 17 digit VIN number.

A review of of your MCO shows a discepancy in the following area(s):

"The following VIN positions DO NOT match the manufacturer's decoding documentation:

(they circled the 4th, 5th ,6th, 10th, and 11th VIN positions)

You are urged to contact the dealer or individual who sold you the vehicle to determine if they can assist you in obtaining a corrected MCO.

If you were issued a temporary license plate, be advised that since no title or registration will be issued for the vehicle, it may NOT be driven.

By the way. I purchased it from Motoxtreme one week before he closed down. Brian from the closed-down Motoxtreme is unreachable.
I was recommended to Motoxtreme by someone named Arron from American Lifan.

ANYONE from Pennsylvania BEWARE !! You will not get your China Bike registered ANYTIME soon.

Here's a few link to read about this nightmare:

http://www.dealernews.com/dealernews....jsp?id=564901

http://www.dealernews.com/dealernews...ategoryId=2704

http://fav.or.it/post/756275/penndot...chinese-scoots

I value any suggestions you guys might have to solve this nightmare. Going to court isn't my first choice, but if I must, I will.

Maybe this should be a STICKY thread, so nobody else becomes a victim like me.

~Al