Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2019, 05:18 PM   #16

If you want to drive up to Peoria for a test sit and a chat about it, you are welcome to. I probably won't be riding it in the city much at all during summer, it sucks.

Old 06-26-2019, 01:40 PM   #17

I am really glad this thread bubbled back up to the top: I am sure I looked silly the first time I tried to throw a leg over my RX3 with the box on back the same way I did my Ninja......it didn't work, my foot hit the box, I almost lost my balance, reminded my of getting kicks blocked in Karate back in the day :-). I was left wondering what the best practice was for the RX3.

I did get a center stand put on the bike, so now I just grab the handlebars, put my left leg on the left foot peg, and sort of sissor/fold my right leg over the bike. Getting off I always scruff the pad on the back of the box for the comfort of the mythical 2-up passenger after I put down the side stand, but I have managed mounts and dismounts without testing the crash bars (thus far, knock on wood .

Happy riding (and mounting/dismounting)!
AMA Member

Old 06-26-2019, 07:54 PM   #18

That center stand is well worth the money.....soooooo much easier.

" Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted." - John Lennon

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
― Thomas Jefferson

"If you don't know where you're going any road will take you there" ....George Harrison song

Old 06-27-2019, 01:08 PM   #19

I wouldn't buy the stand again. It's in the way, a pain to use, and improperly balanced. The stand was never an original option, and there are no proper places to attach it. It's CSC's best effort to use a shipping hole to add a cobbled-up stand. The price is ludicrous and the result is annoying at best. I should have spent my money on a good swingarm stand.

Of course, that doesn't help if you need to do maintenance on long rides. I'll never do long rides on this.

Old 06-27-2019, 03:26 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvarez View Post
I wouldn't buy the stand again. It's in the way, a pain to use, and improperly balanced. The stand was never an original option, and there are no proper places to attach it. It's CSC's best effort to use a shipping hole to add a cobbled-up stand. The price is ludicrous and the result is annoying at best. I should have spent my money on a good swingarm stand.

Of course, that doesn't help if you need to do maintenance on long rides. I'll never do long rides on this.
No, ludicrous is $300 US I had to pay for the center stand on my Versys 650. Pricing is similar on other makes and models. Personally, I haven't had any problems with mine. In fact, I find it makes deploying the side stand easier, since that doesn't have a deployment loop welded to it. The arm on the center stand is easy to catch with my boot, and that allows me to push down the center and side stands at the same time. When down far enough, I just let the center stand spring back up out of the way and finish deploying the side stand.

As for never using it except on long rides, breakdowns (flats, lost master link, etc.)occur on long and short rides; better to have it than not. I consider it a much better investment than the aluminum skid plate that I bought, but have never bothered to install.

Old 06-27-2019, 03:39 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvarez View Post
I wouldn't buy the stand again. It's in the way, a pain to use, and improperly balanced. The stand was never an original option, and there are no proper places to attach it. It's CSC's best effort to use a shipping hole to add a cobbled-up stand. The price is ludicrous and the result is annoying at best.
It looks like the CSC store offers two center stand options; can you clarify which one you are criticizing?

They offer a two-piece "emergency" stand:
https://store.cscmotorcycles.com/2-P...p/csc-1003.htm

And a "bolt-on":
https://store.cscmotorcycles.com/CEN...p/csc-1004.htm

Old 06-27-2019, 04:29 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaijin View Post
It looks like the CSC store offers two center stand options; can you clarify which one you are criticizing?

They offer a two-piece "emergency" stand:
https://store.cscmotorcycles.com/2-P...p/csc-1003.htm

And a "bolt-on":
https://store.cscmotorcycles.com/CEN...p/csc-1004.htm
I believe that he is talking about the "bolt on" version, designed by CSC, that utilizes the assembly line mounting points that are left on the bike after manufacture, for mounting of the center stand. Virtually no one that I know of on this forum has, or uses, the two piece stand. Compared to that, the CSC version is light years ahead in the functionality department. It's not perfect by any means, but considering that the bike was never designed by Zongshen to fit a permanent center stand, it is a satisfactory effort. And as I posted previously, I have not had any problems with mine. I do not regret purchasing it.

Old 06-27-2019, 08:56 PM   #23

I was talking about the bolt-on. If I were riding long distance, I'd buy the "emergency" stand to take with me, and a real shop stand to use in the garage. The centerstand is always in the way of the sidestand. It probably was the reason I lost my sidestand spring once, which could have killed me. The bike doesn't balance properly on it. Total trash.

Oh, and of course it didn't fit well at first and I had to do some minor modifying.

Old 06-27-2019, 11:27 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkyardDog View Post
I currently have a 2001 Yamaha XT225, with over 30,000 hard miles on it. It had 1800 miles on it when I bought it used in 2008. I am partially disabled, and am having a hard time getting on and off the bike. It's getting almost impossible to get my leg over the seat. I literally have to grab my pants leg and use my arm to lift my leg over the seat. I don't do any serious off road riding anymore, but I would like to be able to ride on fairly smooth dirt roads. I also like the idea of having panniers to carry stuff. But since there are no dealers for this bike, I don't know how difficult it would be to get on and off of. The seat looks a LOT more comfortable than the 2x4 on the XT. Anybody have any opinions on this? I live in AZ, I guess I could drive to CSC in CA and sit on one. I would hate to order one and find out I couldn't get on it. Thanks for any input. Jerry

I live in Yuma.... would love to show you the bike. I am in San Diego until Sept.

Larry

I am a Friend of Bill Wilson. Are you?

Retired and living the dream in Yuma, AZ.

Old 06-29-2019, 08:30 PM   #25

My RX3 came off the first container. CSC quickly had a centerstand available. It was very difficult to use until I figured out it had no leverage and raised the front of the bike instead of the back. CSC came out with a different stand with a longer foot pedal for more leverage. Welded similar up for my stand. Much easier to work. A piece of PVC pipe slide under the swingarm keeps the rear tire up for changes and chain lubes. Still relatively easy to roll off going forward, so be careful.

Old 07-01-2019, 10:13 AM   #26

I have the original center stand it works ok if you are a yeti have to muscle the bike on the stand. As far as getting on bad knees and 280lbs i stand on the left foot peg with bike on side stand