Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2018, 10:03 PM   #1

RX3--what a pleasant ride!

Rolled over 12,000 miles today. Now that the bike has been mostly repaired and rebuilt from the unscheduled flight when it had 770 miles on it and was totaled, the best all around backroader ever. As long as it is a road you can get a pickup down, with the right tires, the RX3 can handle it.

It's a serious problem when a bike does its job so well that when you toss the OEM seat for the importer's 10 times better comfort seat, and that seat isn't comfortable enough to ride tank-to-tank because of good efficiency, what's next? Used to have an iron butt but after 10 years of just occasional riding due to employment schedule interference, what should I do. I've narrowed choices down to no work, different work with a more regular schedule, or a more comfortable seat mod.

Any improvement ideas on CSC's taller seat?

Old 09-17-2018, 07:30 AM   #2

i put an air hawk on my stock seat it helped but was wondering about taller seat also

Old 09-17-2018, 02:22 PM   #3

Great to hear. It also sounds like your RX3 has been through quite a storm (tornado?)
Both the tall and narrow seats are great improvements. My wife really likes the narrow seat.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 09-18-2018, 12:15 AM   #4

Hurricane. Riding 65mph in right lane of interstate. Semi truck went by at a very high rate of speed, guessing about 130. Double height steel guard rails up the hill to the overpass, big V shape to funnel prevailing winds to blow snow off bridge.

Air turbulence (tornado) lifted the bike straight up high enough the driver 2 cars back could see sky under the tires, above the car between us. Nothing unusual for hurricanes to have tornados along with straight line winds. At apogee the bike began to roll to the right. About 45* of roll and the tank slapper started. The bike on its side is pretty much an airfoil, but my fat butt is not, so when I lost the grips because of the tank slapper, I fell sideways and the bike did not. Took the driver side mirror shaft right in the face at hard tank slapper speed, smashed the helmet, 7 sutures in the forehead, landed head first with 7 or 8 directions of scratch damage all the way through the color of the helmet, bike landed upside down on top of me at 65mph, but I'd already begun
5 days in a coma from the mirror shaft whack.

The witness 2 cars back happened to be an EMT on his way to work, found no pulse in my wrist, thought I was dead, went on to check other victims in other vehicles. Heading back to his car he say me move and pressured the head wound to slow bleeding.

ATGATT is my thing but tore up pants, jacket, both gloves, both boots, helmet, and visor. Other than mirror shaft whack probably would have walked away, until the doctors got ahold. They demobilized the left thumb, but the right thumb was broken, bandaged the right knuckle where the pinky joins the hand, but that knuckle on the left side was the one scraped off. 17 broken bones in one hand, a few more in the other, but my sister is a physical therapist and she gave me things to do to restore range and strength of movement. Still hurts, probably always will, but everything still works as it should.

My son drove up to pick up the remains, punched the starter, bike lite right up, and he rode it up into the back of the truck. Tough bike.

Tall seat is excellent compared to other custom seats that cost the same or more. I just never want to stop.

Old 09-18-2018, 01:04 AM   #5

Wow Sqwert, so glad your OK. It's a miracle your talking about it. Sounds like your RX3 came thru it better then you. Did it happen so fast that it was over before you grasped what was going on? Or was it slow motion with the though going through your mind "Now this is going to hurt"? Hope your healing up well and can get over any effects this may cause you. I think if it was me , I'd still be hiding under the bed, talking gibberish to myself. rj

Old 09-18-2018, 08:01 AM   #6

Glad to hear you're healing up, I wish you a speedy recovery
2016 AJP PR4
2022 Templar X 250
2021 Sondors Metacycle
AMA Life Member

Old 09-18-2018, 08:28 AM   #7

Wild ride! Glad you made it out alive. Hope you heal up fast.

Old 09-18-2018, 08:49 AM   #8

Wow! Glad to here you survived. I feel you pain. Was in a motorcycle wreck when I was 18. Nothing like waking up to a full body sprain. Hope for a speedy recovery.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 09-18-2018, 10:19 AM   #9

The ultimate CSC RX3 durability commercial!....and sqwert durability, as well.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 09-18-2018, 12:40 PM   #10

Bloody hell whats been going on!?

Old 09-22-2018, 09:55 PM   #11

Actually, nothing goes fast motion or slow motion for me. Too many things, too many years, no surprises left. Cut off my left big toe riding a bicycle barefoot about 4th grade (sewed back on), axe wound top of left foot, axe wound left inside ankle bone, gunshot wound left calf, exit wound left shin, left knee cap displaced in a wreck, replaced myself by shoving back under tendons where it was supposed to be (what else to do when doctor recommended amputation?), ..., well, that's left knee down. At the other end, sutures in my head 7 times so far. Rest of me, pretty much the same. So, no surprises, no head games. Something comes up or goes down, I deal with it in a legal manner, though sometimes I have a few questions to answer. Only thing I hate worse than conflict is pain, so don't cause any and I'll happily help get you and your bike out of the bottomless mud pit on our next ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NzBrakelathes View Post
Bloody hell whats been going on!?
First long ride, 770 miles on it, totaled the bike. It's almost all better now. That's why I don't blame CSC for lots of what I do to the bike when work is needed, don't know if it was Zong, CSC, or that &%^$^& trucker to blame.

Bought the bike in 2015, let it sit a year after the crash while healing up. Ordered a bunch of parts from CSC and been rebuilding/repairing/modding and riding ever since.

Bought a bunch of CSC's billet stuff. Very nice. Bought a new set of aluminum luggage because one pannier was smashed, but still have the top box with the plastic corner pieces scraped off a couple top corners (still waterproof) just to demonstrate how upside down the bike actually was when it landed on me. Convinced me since I was in a coma before my head hit the ground. Scrapes on the grips and levers line up perfectly with the missing corner pieces on the top box. Brand new top box and other pannier still unused. Replacement bracketry still unused. OEM luggage and bracketry still unused. Still a few more trim pieces to replace, already have them.

Shifting focus from crash repair to mods because I'm so picky I sometimes find boogers on my fingers. Not going to bother replacing the OEM grips and levers until they wear out because they are quite comfy. Tank has a couple little knicks, but not going to replace it because of expense. Headlight going on the shelf soon. Did have a pair of 4x6 LED rectangulars, MIL Spec, bullet proof (literally), but cop made me take them off. Beat his whiney crybaby ass in court, so they can go back on. Thinking about a second pair, same lights, in pods as auxiliaries. Still legal, but 240 watts on high beam, total lumens about 24,000 compared to about 900 with the OEM 35W H4. Need a bigger battery to roast whitetail dear. 24,000 lumens ought to be enough to make those stupid redneck deer hunters dim their not-for-highway-use HID and LED lights for spotlighting game (another illegal activity).

So, redoing the lighting and horn is next. Horn? 140 decibels. Loud horns save lives. Lighting? Probably 4 LEDs on front, still checking things out. Already made a bracket to hold square trailer lights with real side markers, all LEDs. There is a pair of brake lights between the trailer lights rewired to be steady on. They are 0.550 watts each emergency vehicle lights. Also have semi trailer LED STT rounds for the luggage. Left pannier bracket has been modified to sit as far off frame as right does for muffler clearance. Nice gap between frame and bracket for tool box and extra battery. I figure if lights are bright enough to annoy people, they know I'm there. Number 1 cause of death of motorcycle riders with experience is people who didn't see them. That's my reasoning for killer light systems.

There's always a madness behind my methods.

Just because I'm quite pleased with my RX3 does not mean it is perfect. Getting closer, though.