Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2018, 10:26 PM   #1

Ignition dies riding in rain.

Wait a few minutes, engine starts, ride on, engine dies. Anyone else dumb enough to ride in the rain on a bike that has hot pants? Oooops, sorry, ignition shorts?

Next days off:

Check spark plug and wire for water marks. Would not be the first time.
Check coil and assorted wires for evidence of water where it wasn't supposed to be.
While the tank is off, check ignition and assorted wires for evidence water was there.
Check switches on handlebars.
Fiddle with key switch.
Had rain short wires to clutch safety switch and engine died once before, another bike.

Old 07-16-2018, 12:22 AM   #2

only problem I had with my RX3 dying when out on road was when I forgot to tighten back up my battery terminals after adding a battery tender lead. They worked 95% of the time but loose enough to kill engine from time to time. Bike would start back up before I coasted to a stop so I limped on home and found the terminals on battery were loose. rj

Old 07-16-2018, 08:09 AM   #3

i have had the zong out in pouring rain no problems but the only time it has quit was when it was wet put some grease around plug wire and other electrical connections don't know if it helped or not I don't like the way the plug wire fits on the plug has anyone cut the cap off and put new end on I know the ngk ends for my sleds screw into the end of the wire and fit tight over the plug with waterproof seal just don't know what kind of plug wire zong has

Old 08-05-2018, 05:28 PM   #4

I have had trouble in heavy rain when the bike was hard to restart, but we're talking Biblical deluge rain, and never any trouble otherwise.

Old 08-05-2018, 10:00 PM   #5

Thanks for bumping this up, McKay. Pretty much forgot about it. Weather is supposed to be good tomorrow and Tuesday, so going riding. Rainy Wednesday, so planning a garage day then. I'll post up what I learn Wednesday night.

Old 08-06-2018, 11:44 PM   #6

300 + miles today, back roads and 2-lane highways through Land Between the Lakes, Midway TN to Princeton Ky. Broke a highway peg mount that has already been through 3-4 bikes. Princeton's Honda shop closed Mondays.

Bit of a rain shower, not much, no electrical problems.

Used to run 5mph slower at WFO, 300 kit runs faster on back roads with +2 wheel sprocket. Goes through fuel due to speed increase.

Old 08-08-2018, 09:40 PM   #7

Arrived home Sunday afternoon. Weather forecast said slight chance of rain Monday and Tuesday, 60-80% chance of rain Wednesday. So, nice ride Monday. Nice ride Tuesday until turned for home and caught by deluge. Engine died and spent next 45 minutes in pouring rain on a parkway with big trucks passing 3m away at 120kph dousing me with road spray, but that's okay, the rain washed it off. Rain stopped, waited a few minutes for wetness to dry out, fired right up and ran fine all the way home. Supposed to rain and be cooler today, with breeze right in shop door.

Friggin meteorologists lie worse than politicians and motorcycle salespeople. No rain, bright sun instead of breeze right in shop door, no breeze at all. Miserable conditions for shop work so I collected parts for next shop day and found a cool, shaded park to play with my grandsons. Also found 3 pairs of youth MX gloves, small, medium, and large. Bought all 3 for $30 on sale, usually $30/pair. Big kid has plenty of grow room through all 3 pairs. Then next kid gets hand-me-downs. So, wasn't a total waste.

Anywho, can't find the problem. Everything checks good when it isn't raining. Probably have to prop up the fuel tank, fire the beast up, and start at the bottom, drowning one connection at a time with a water hose until it quits. Then the problem will be apparent. Maybe.

Old 08-09-2018, 03:26 AM   #8

Last week i was riding home in light rain (about 10miles/16km), by night. Just 200 meters before end of the trip my bike (RX3=ADV250) dies. Still raining... After some tries it starts. In the garage i've just pressed ignition cable on the spark plug and other end.
After that - all runs fine now.
It was for me the second time with the same problem, but first time - dry and hot.

Old 08-13-2018, 12:17 AM   #9

mkubam, I've heard from a couple others about plug wire connections. I have a few extras, brand new, around the shop. Next project will be a new waterproof plug wire with about the same electrical resistance. Makes sense since the short will dry in a matter of minutes, even in the pouring rain, when just sitting.

Old 08-13-2018, 09:52 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqwert View Post
mkubam, I've heard from a couple others about plug wire connections. I have a few extras, brand new, around the shop. Next project will be a new waterproof plug wire with about the same electrical resistance. Makes sense since the short will dry in a matter of minutes, even in the pouring rain, when just sitting.
please post results the coil comes from csc with the wire attached just want to be sure you can pull it off without damage

Old 08-13-2018, 12:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by willy dog View Post
please post results the coil comes from csc with the wire attached just want to be sure you can pull it off without damage
If necessary the coil will be replaced with an aftermarket unit, pretty much making the cost of the RX3 about the same as a TW276 6-speed build, and no less labor.

Old 08-13-2018, 02:24 PM   #12

Do the S'plug wires on RX3 not unscrew?
Have to look at mine.
If its a matter of water being thrown up by front tire and grounding the S'plug lead then time to put on a fender extender on rear of front fender maybe. I did and haven't ever had it quit in rain.
I put one on after riding in the rain in Yosemite and the water got up on top of the motor and washed dirt ,grease and oil from the road down the side of the motor and made it look like it had a bad oil leak on top of motor somewhere. But it never stopped motor from running. rj

Old 08-13-2018, 05:28 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmorel View Post
Do the S'plug wires on RX3 not unscrew?
Have to look at mine. rj
that's what I am trying to figure out i am assuming that they do but right now the mighty Zong is my only transportation don't want to try to take end off only to find that they don't unscrew

Old 08-16-2018, 10:31 PM   #14

I'll have to do some checking next home time. Back on the road these days, so no telling.

Old 09-06-2018, 08:45 AM   #15

Hows is this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Coil.jpg (13.4 KB, 171 views)